Good air cooler that work with the ASRock Z77E-ITX?

Forgive me for jumping in and post :)

Definitely AXP-140 guys. I'm using it with thermalright TY-140 together with AP-180 fan from silverstone sg07 case. The temp is nothing but miracle @ 30C idle. I haven't really bothered to stress test the temp, but I guess idle means something already. The even bigger plus is the noise. At idle, I can't even hear the fan and while the case is sitting about 2ft from me on my desktop. Of course, I did tweak the fan thru Asrock's utility to level 2 or 3 iirc, yet the temp is still amazingly low.

It surely was a pain to install, but no more than Corsair's liquid system with relatively larger radiator, e.g., H60 and above. Ironically, I sold my first AXP140 because I wanted to try out the liquid cooling yet it failed in the way of higher temp and higher noise level (my personal experience). Maybe it had something to do with TWO faulty H60 I got. Both H60 I got had relatively annoying noise from the pump, which wasn't very bad but unacceptable to me. So I bought another AXP 140 and be happy with it since then.

The install is definitely a pain, but it is manageable, especially when considering that I was a total noob the first time I install this monster (it's a bit larger than my previous ITX board...). I got several cuts on my hands and I messed up with thermal paste several time because I couldn't seat the cooler right... BTW, definitely go with low-profile memory. It makes the installation much much easier. The first AXP140 I mounted took me 2 hrs to properly seat it and screw tightly and everything, with Ripjaw. The second AXP140 took me <20 minutes with Ares series. If a noob can do it, anyone can.

The other factor I considered and went with air cooler as a result was the traveling. I do not want to mess with liquid when doing air travels, especially the international ones. I did some intensive research on this topic, and looks like there is just no consensus on this topic. Some people report that it's all good without any hassle, but some reported horrendous experiences. So an air cooler can save you much more trouble.

In addition, for my case (SG07), it was not at all easier to install a liquid system compared to air. The air system install is like a one-step success or fail, while liquid cooling was a two-step process. Install the heatblock is easy, but radiator in my small case was a PITA. I almost broke the pipe of one of the H60s because I had to twist the radiator and pipes to get everything properly placed inside the case. The pipe of these coolers are really stiff and I feel like breaking them all the time. They are like some ugly octopus when I finally put everything in place, because the pipe is stiff and twisted, and touches almost everything in the case (video card, mobo, RAM, HD, etc.) So I quit the liquid cooling.

Last but not the least, it looks so cool to have a industrial-look cooler that's a tad bit larger than the MOBO :D

Enjoy building

Should be fine as it fits on Asrock's B75M-ITX - http://www.hardware-factory.com/kuehlung/1811-phanteks-ph-tc90ls?start=5

Mon_08_PCIe.jpg

The phantek does not fit nor does the new Noctua NH-L9i this link below is from someone who tried. I know for sure with the Noctua as I bought it without looking at the compatibility list and the stupid capacitor placement blocks the cooler.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1321346/asrock-z77e-itx-lian-li-pc-q18-which-heatsinks/10#post_18522724

Thermalright AXP-100 page is live on their website!

Rumor mill says that the heatsink is completing 1st main production run and will be shipping shortly!

Anyone ever get a definitive answer / pics on the big shuriken 2 rev B?

Is it an upgrade if i change my antec 620 with thermalright axp 140 or silverstone nt06 pro ?
I just want to try something new ;)

is the AXP that fits the Z77e uses this bracket?
want to make sure if there is no other revision
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11012971/IMG_20130225_225839.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11012971/IMG_20130225_225814.jpg

I bought an AXP-140 for my Z77E-ITX, and the stock bracket (in your first pic), will fit, but the heatpipes will be touching your videocard, or the back GPU retention bracket and prevent it from being 100% perpendicular to the motherboard. You could probably get it to fit in a case like that... but not sure you'd want to. Also, the CPU backplate will not fit. There are too many caps, ect in the way. You could use some spacers and use it without the backplate, or hack it up, but you'll always need spacers because of the motherboard components on the backside.

With the venomous backplate you can make a much better fit. But you have to file one end of the crossbar that holds it to the top of the CPU, because it hits the voltage reg heatsinks. You also need some spacers on the bottom for the backplate, and some on the top so it doesn't sit on top of one tall cap. But you can leave out the center screw pressure thing, and then offset the mount a little making it so there is no contact with your videocard - this is what I did.

Goggle "Thermalright Venomous BTK Pressure Vault Bracket System" if you want to find the venomous mount. It took me forever to find one... I just ordered an extra :)

Last edited:
m... problem to get one
finally found a AXP from a local source and now the bracket is the problem

well, i think i might hate this board now... a pain in the ass finding a cooler

bought a ANTEC 620 water cooler last night, ran if for few hours and the pump noise drove me mad, not loud but somehow just annoying

i have located a AXP140 but as it turns out its too tall for the elite 120
need to keep the cooler under 76mm

have the "list" of coolers that fit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jruY0yVasgUDc3dUZZN1FJRGs/edit

so what to buy?

Noctua NH-L12 - fits the board but blocks the pcie, but i found out you can bend it a little and it will free the pcie

Praeton LD964 - looks nice, cheap, but i have to order it from UK and ship it here. there reviews for him are "so~so" and i'll have to get a normal 92mm fan to make it work

Zalman SZ CC92HS - cheap alu cooler, will fit 100% and be more silent then the intel stock i use right now, but being "unknown" cooler makes me worry, also don't know it the alu cooler can work well with my 3570K (yes yes... i know)

Scythe Shuriken Rev. B - looks good, small, but i don't know that it will fit 100%... can't find someone that used it to be sure

Noctua NH-L9i - i think "how low can you go" was made for this cooler, low as hell but expensive, don't think its a good option

Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B - any chance it will fit?

any other good options?

is there any place to buy an AXP-140 anymore??? I thought I found one, but they sent me a Cogage cooler. Awesome. Considering the L12 or the AXP-100. Really hoping to get an OC on the 3570K, maybe ~4.2ghz ish? Need to look at some more reviews of the cooler. Was hoping to get something that would fit the Noctual 140mm fan I bought....

is there any place to buy an AXP-140 anymore??? I thought I found one, but they sent me a Cogage cooler. Awesome. Considering the L12 or the AXP-100. Really hoping to get an OC on the 3570K, maybe ~4.2ghz ish? Need to look at some more reviews of the cooler. Was hoping to get something that would fit the Noctual 140mm fan I bought....

When I was looking for one I couldn't find one in stores either. I found an unused one on ebay. That may be your best bet if you want one.

I currently using a COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus on my Asrock board, running a 2700k but not overclocking at the moment though. I've also fitted a Scythye Kozuti low profile heatsink on it too, when running a 2500.

AXP 140rt vs Antec 620, the Antec wins by big margin.
Axp 140 rt at 86c " i stopped prime because the of temps"
antec max 66c

Thanks Machupo. I see you have the fan blowing upwards. Have you tried it with the fan blowing down onto the motherboard?

Which way provided better temps.?

I have my system in a SG05 and the PSU sits over the CPU area. I have the PSU oriented with its fan facing down so that it draws hot air in and exhausts it out the back.

If I have the AXP-100's fan blowing down on to the board, will the AXP-100's fan and the PSU's fan fight each other for air?

I only tried it blowing away from the motherboard as there is only 2-3mm of separation between my 120mm fan and the PSU. I didn't want them fighting for air (b/c I knew the PSU would lose, and the ST45SF-G needs a good amount of air to be happy due to a very tight component density).

IIRC, the PSU wil sit approximately 15-20mm higher (i.e. away from the motherboard) in your SG05 than it does in my PC-Q02, so you'll probably be able to get away with opposing fan directions. I definitely think you'll see better temps with the AXP-100 fan blowing downward onto the motherboard (dependent upon your case air turnover, of course). The PSU-vent strategy is also viable (it's what I'm currently doing in my case), but I'm a little hesitant about what that's doing to my PSU, lol!

I'm trying to find a cooler that's smaller than the stock cooler on my i5-3570k to fit into a Realan i3 case.

Right now I'm running the stock cooler, which barely fits, and hovering just under 50C with XBMC idling.

I'd like to find something a little shorter than the stock cooler, since it's pretty much touching the top of the case currently - and hopefully quieter and better cooling performance. I know, pick and two options! :)

So far it looks like the Noctua NH-L91 or the SilverStone NT07-1156 could be candidates. Am I missing any others?

I'm trying to find a cooler that's smaller than the stock cooler on my i5-3570k to fit into a Realan i3 case.

Right now I'm running the stock cooler, which barely fits, and hovering just under 50C with XBMC idling.

I'd like to find something a little shorter than the stock cooler, since it's pretty much touching the top of the case currently - and hopefully quieter and better cooling performance. I know, pick and two options! :)

So far it looks like the Noctua NH-L91 or the SilverStone NT07-1156 could be candidates. Am I missing any others?
IMO the NH-L9i is probably the best, since the NT07-1156 seems like a shorter stock heatsink. I'm ot expecting it will perform very will.

Yeah, I tried a Dynatron T459 - but the chokes on the edge of the processor area (near the backplate) stick up too far, so the T459 can't lock into place.

It looks like the Noctua will fit as long as you take one of the fan brackets off to allow the gold capacitor to clear the heatsink.

Are there any other low-profile options that people recommend for this board?

Hyper 212 does not fit on the Z77E-ITX, transistors get in the way of the mounting bracket

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but how did those that were able to get the AXP-100 on this board to fit?

I decided to place the AXP-100 on the ASRock Z77E-I. I get all the pillars on the mobo, then I try to place the first mounting bracket on the mobo and I run into a problem. The first mounting bracket actually hits a transistor cap. ***!!!!!! Picture #3 shows the arrow pointing at the taller transistor cap that is in the way. I really, really am starting to hate ASSSSSRock as many people around here call them.

First pic of placing the pillars on and screwing them to the back of the mobo.

Placed the pillars on the mobo.

The first bracket has an issue with a taller transistor cap underneath it.

Looking around on Hardforum, the bracket was causing people some issues with the Z77E-I and that tall cap. :mad: What a PITA.

I wonder if I cut the bracket on that side around the transistor then would be the way to go. I think this would be stable still if I cut it.

IIRC, you can just rotate the bracket? I don't have the mobo anymore, but didn't need to mod anything on the axp-100 to get it to fit (unlike the noctua nh-l9i, grrrrr).

IIRC, you can just rotate the bracket? I don't have the mobo anymore, but didn't need to mod anything on the axp-100 to get it to fit (unlike the noctua nh-l9i, grrrrr).

If I rotate the bracket the other way, it still touches the cap and then since its long ways it hits the bottom RAM slot and then the one screw hole for the second bracket is then sitting on the North bridge.

The standoffs look familiar to the ones on the AXP-140.

Not sure if this will also work on yours, but all I had to do was to put a piece of electrical tape on the cap to isolate it from the bracket.

If not, try inserting washers to the standoffs.

The standoffs look familiar to the ones on the AXP-140.

Not sure if this will also work on yours, but all I had to do was to put a piece of electrical tape on the cap to isolate it from the bracket.

If not, try inserting washers to the standoffs.

I worry about even placing electrical tape on top of the cap because the cap on that side is taller than the rest around the CPU socket, so it lifts that side up a little bit.

I can place washers to the standoffs, but then wouldn't the second heat sink bracket and heat sink be slightly higher not sitting secure on top of the CPU?

There might be enough pressure "reserve" available - only way to find out is to try. You might be able to mitigate that by inserting something of similar thickness between the second bracket and the heat sink base, but make sure it is secure and the heat sink doesn't shift around.

There might be enough pressure "reserve" available - only way to find out is to try. You might be able to mitigate that by inserting something of similar thickness between the second bracket and the heat sink base, but make sure it is secure and the heat sink doesn't shift around.

This is kind of crazy, found this review of the AXP-100 bracket on the cap and who knows if anything even happened to this reviewers system during testing.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/53310_3/Obzor_i_testirovanie_processornogo_kulera_Thermalright_AXP-100.html

900x900px-LL-710798e5_20_sborka_big.jpeg

Back