Good air cooler for 2700x

OutOfPhase

Supreme [H]ardness
Heya folks,

Looking around for a cooler for my sons impending Ryzen 2700 (or 2700x) build. My immediate go-to thought was the Noctua D-15S like I have in my intel box, but there's no such direct corollary for the AM4. There's a D15, but not the S model with RAM clearance and offset pipes to avoid the first PCI slot. Is that not needed on an AM4 board?

What have folks found to be good for this little chippy poo? Cost is not directly a concern, but I'd prefer air cooling for a variety of uninteresting reasons. I don't anticipate overlcocking beyond the built-in boost.

Thanks for any motes of knowledge tossed out.

I had a Scythe Fuma on mine and it seemed to work well. I'm just waiting on my Crosshair VII to get here to fire up my 2700x. I plan on using the Fuma again. RAM slots were covered by the fan, but you can adjust the fans to the middle and back or just raise the height of the fan slightly.

The NH-D15S works fine with AM4. I am using it now (see my sig below). You just need the adapter kit. Apparently you can get the kit for free if you email Noctua with proof of purchase for cooler and MB, but I just paid the $8 price to include it in my order so I didn't have to wait another week for it to arrive.

Arg. I assumed that because they had custom models they weren’t also making adapter kits. Silly me.

Given that, I’m inclined to slap a U15s on there. My noctuas have never let me down.

Orrrr I get myself a new water kit and move my D15 to his box... hmmm.

Back