Good 7" Android Tablet w/ rear cam?

Nate7311

2[H]4U
I've been looking for a 7" Android tablet for a while for business purposes. i.e. Email, time tracking, documentation, etc. Given the documentation requirement, I need a good rear cam.
I've seen the Acer's, and wasn't impressed, and the new 7" version is w/o rear cam. The Sammy Galaxy seems like a candidate but the rear cam on only mildly better than an iPhone :rolleyes: I'd really love to find an updated version of HTC's Flyer, that was a great format!

Ok, What else is out there than I'm missing?

Define good? IMO, no tab or phone has a good cam. They have ok cams.

>3MP for starters. The modern micro camera sensors are actually pretty good if you consider what they are. Just want something with a better than average camera for documentation purposes.

galaxy tab 7.7 has 3.2mp cam i believe, screen is meant to be gorgeous as well. I might grab one up if the price drops to compete with the nexus tablets

Do you need this now? There might be a new Kindle Fire out soon.

galaxy tab 7.7 has 3.2mp cam i believe, screen is meant to be gorgeous as well. I might grab one up if the price drops to compete with the nexus tablets

I just got a 7.7 today on verizon. The samoled+ display is very nice although ICS can't get here soon enough.

Really. The Nexus 7 has Amazing reviews. You would be silly to not buy it.

Absolutely, I was set to pull the trigger until I saw it dodn't have a rear cam. That's a must. Specs versus price, nothing else comes close right now.

Because I want one :)

Seriously, I do a bunch of documentation on my phone and I'd rather keep everything on the same device to begin with rather than syncing through the cloud between devices. So I'd like to find a tablet I can take a pic with.

Let me qualify my background too, so I don't get responses tailored for a newbie. I've been cracking/rooting mobile devices since the EARLY Windows Mobile 5 days. The longest stock firmware has ever stayed on my devices is 20 minutes :). I use my rooted and flashed Nook Color on a regular basis for the documentation now, it'd just be handy to have a cam. I'm just looking for an updated/current device with more potential. Chief among them is a rear cam and more horsepower.

Get the new Google 7". It is only $200 and gives most other tablets a run for theyre money as far as hardware goes.

Get the new Google 7". It is only $200 and gives most other tablets a run for theyre money as far as hardware goes.

It is an awesome bit of kit- I pre-ordered one as well as required by my inner-nerd, but for me it doesn't fit my needs either- I need cellular data. I fail to understand why people keep saying "get the Nexus 7! IS AWESOME! BUYS IT!" when the OP has stated that he needs a rear camera for whatever reason. If the hardware doesn't fit the specs, it's not the right hardware. This reminds me of when I hired a newly graduated network admin and let him order some new SQL servers- he didn't ask what kind of hardware the project needed, he just ordered what HE wanted- and his ePenis required him to buy slow 8-core CPUs rather than much much faster 4-core CPUs- since a lot of the queries our reporting DB used didn't use much parallelism, faster but fewer threads trumped more but slower threads. So again- if you're going to recommend a product, do so keeping in mind the required specs.

I've had my 7.7 for a day now- the screen is amazing, but again I'm reminded again of how much honeycomb blows. I had HC on a HTC View... I had just assumed it was the single-core CPU holding things back, but no- it's HC. Given that ICS will be released relatively soon for the 7.7, I would recommend getting it.

If the camera and 7 inch form factor are very important, then I suppose you could take a look at the Acer A100.

I'm not terribly excited to mention it, because it doesn't have an IPS display (so some bad viewing angles), and it's only a Tegra 2 (HD video playback will suck).

But it has a 5MP rear camera with LED flash, which may be a bit better than the 3MP cameras most 7 inch tablets have.

If you don't mind a 10 inch tablet, the ASUS Transformer Prime would be good, has an 8MP rear camera with LED flash.

I actually wasn't joking when I mentioned the T-Mobile Springboard/Huawei Mediapad
7" IPS 1280x800 resolution display
Single piece Aluminum body/chassis
7.5 x 4.8 x 0.4 inches
1.2GHz dual core
1024MB RAM
16GB built-in flash
5MP rear camera
1.3MP FFC
microSD slot
micro HDMI port
micro USB port
3G + 4G T-Mobile (or ATT if unlocked)
Wifi + Bluetooth

Tmobile had them on their website a couple weeks ago for $299, No Contract.

I hadn't seen the Springboard yet. Very interesting. Looks like I get to do research again.

Yeah, t-mobile has a habit of forgetting to market their own branded products.
Indeed. When I went into a T-Mobile corporate store to check out the springboard they had 2 10" galaxy tabs on display, but no Springboards. When I asked if they had any the manager said they had a couple in the back, but she couldn't open the package unless I wanted to buy one.

Back