Good 42"+ 1080p HDTV with 4:4:4 chroma and low latency?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
It seems that all of the talk lately is about 4K TVs and displays that will do 4:4:4 chroma (and 60hz), but what about 1080p sets?

I'm currently using a 2010 - 2011 era LG 42LK450 and it's been running almost 24/7 for the last four years. It used an IPS panel and seemed to be a great mix of text clarity, color purity, viewing angles, and response time. I love this thing, but it's starting to develop some weirdness and eccentricities I'm sure are related to it's high power on hour count (currently 29,450 hours). I really don't want it to fail on me and be without something to replace it.

I figure with the startling rise this year of 4K TVs I ought to be able to get a good price on a 1080p TV that will work decent as a PC monitor, but I'm coming up empty....

Do any of you display gurus know of a good 42" or higher 1080p TV that is 4:4:4 chroma capable and offers decently low input lag? Why not 4K? Well, finances are the main reason. I'd like to keep the price $400 or hopefully below, and that pretty much rules out any 4K set. I also don't want to go much smaller than 40" - I am visually handicapped (legally blind actually) and need the large format display.

Any and all input is appreciated! :)

goodluck i had the same tv and it was good got from BB for $200 on a mega pricing error
I want ips and 120hz 4:4:4 even in a 4k but they just don't sell it for under a grand (1000)

I had the LK before, it's a great display. Keep it.

I am still rocking my LG 42" S-IPS from last year and love it.

In fact, I am going to keep my eye out for backup.

Try this one at Best Buy you can always return it but remember, Best Buy only has a 14 day return period now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-c...lack/3716037.p?id=1219597974190&skuId=3716037

Also try craigslist. 42" is a pretty common set people buy. I see used one all the times.

I think about any LG 42" is going to have the same specs as your LK. 60hz, low latency and 4:4:4 support. Let us know what you end up doing. I'm curious of your outcome.

Try this one at Best Buy you can always return it but remember, Best Buy only has a 14 day return period now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-c...lack/3716037.p?id=1219597974190&skuId=3716037

Also try craigslist. 42" is a pretty common set people buy. I see used one all the times.

I think about any LG 42" is going to have the same specs as your LK. 60hz, low latency and 4:4:4 support. Let us know what you end up doing. I'm curious of your outcome.

Unfortunately a lot of them don't do 4:4:4 chroma and that's an absolute must for me. For instance the LG 42LF5600 you linked doesn't. :(

I'm currently looking at the Samsung 40" J6200 series model (UN40J6200) , and the Vizio E-series 43" (2015 model E43-C2).

Both support 4:4:4 chroma and RTINGs says both are decent choices. You'd think the Samsung would be a sure bet but the Vizio offers significantly lower lag (29.5ms vs 44ms) and a notably thinner bezel. I also am quite fond of Vizio because of how nicely I was taken care of during a service issue with my E601i-A3 a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Sorry about that I assumed it did.

I do know 2014's LB does in fact support 4:4:4

I just hit the submit button for an Amazon order containing the LG 43" 43UF6430. $397 + tax...

So it looks like I went 4K after all! :D

Preliminary reports have this set doing 4k@60hz at full 4:4:4 chroma. Input lag is in the 40 - 50ms range but that's probably equal to the old 42LK450 I'm using now, and besides I don't play that many ultra twitchy first person shooters.

Not sure if this is an IPS panel or not, LG tends to use IPS panels in their sets but even if it's MVA I doubt I'll have much of a problem. I used a Westinghouse TX-42F430S for several years prior to my LG and it was P-MVA if I remember correctly and I liked it just fine.

I've also read/heard that this is actually a cut-down version of the 43UF6400 that has fewer HDMI ports, but I'm not too worried about that either especially since eventually I'll have an AVR with HDMI switching at some point. There are rumours that the picture quality is slightly less than the 43UF6400 but I guess I'll find out. For the money my expectations are tempered and reasonable.

Can you tell I'm super excited! :D

I just hit the submit button for an Amazon order containing the LG 43" 43UF6430. $397 + tax...

So it looks like I went 4K after all! :D

Preliminary reports have this set doing 4k@60hz at full 4:4:4 chroma. Input lag is in the 40 - 50ms range but that's probably equal to the old 42LK450 I'm using now, and besides I don't play that many ultra twitchy first person shooters.

Not sure if this is an IPS panel or not, LG tends to use IPS panels in their sets but even if it's MVA I doubt I'll have much of a problem. I used a Westinghouse TX-42F430S for several years prior to my LG and it was P-MVA if I remember correctly and I liked it just fine.

I've also read/heard that this is actually a cut-down version of the 43UF6400 that has fewer HDMI ports, but I'm not too worried about that either especially since eventually I'll have an AVR with HDMI switching at some point. There are rumours that the picture quality is slightly less than the 43UF6400 but I guess I'll find out. For the money my expectations are tempered and reasonable.

Can you tell I'm super excited! :D

I just ordered the same set. 4:4:4 chrome and 4K@60Hz made this a no-brainer for $397 shipped with prime. I can't wait.

Gotta say, if the 6430 is a 'cut down' version of the 6400, that is totally NOT my experience. :D It's not! Actually, it has better uniformity, better viewing angles, an additional HDMI port, slightly better features, and it's cheaper. I upgraded from another LG IPS display and the 6430 is the WAY better version. Hands down.

I bought the 6400 two weeks ago to dabble in 4K resolution. Although the picture was relatively good at times, the dimmer corners and around the border made me really concerned. It wouldn't look as good at off angle like the 6430 does, especially from below. I'm also not having the magenta/cyan bleeding like I had out of the box of the 6400. It's an all around much better display, and it's an inch thinner, too.

After reading up on Pentile displays, especially since this is an RGBW panel, at this resolution, unless you're dealing with lines a single pixel thick, don't worry. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Looking at high res images scaled up on this monitor is a visual treat. Playing Splatoon on another input was snappy and super colorful, as was Smash, even out of the box.

As a Radeon 280x user, I CANNOT wait for the Mini DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters. I'm currently stuck at 4096 x 2160 resolution at 24hz, which means some animations can be a little choppy, like the mouse cursor, and also why I'm happy it's finally supported in the newest Radeon Crimson drivers. Also, make sure to use HDMI-PC mode to use it as a monitor, and turn on HDMI Ultra Deep Color, and Windows will see the monitor's true native resolution (not just 1080p, which it will believe is native otherwise) and do the 4:4:4 chroma. I think it only supports that on Port 1.

I've been using this 43UF6430 since Sunday, for the record. I really love using it. XD This was a phenomenal deal, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
It sounds like if the input lag was like, near 1/2 what it is, that LG 6430 would have been the answer to my 4K-TV-as-monitor nightmare. Sadly 50ms is just too high for me. I hope you all enjoy it though, and I'm subbing here in case the 34" 21:9 I ordered doesn't work out and I have to venture back out in to TV land.

TigeronStarfire, if I were you I'd sell the 280x and pick up a GTX 970 or similar, if budget will allow. I've seen them sell for $250 shipped with full warranty in FS/FT here, recently. Not only would it be a big performance boost over your current card, but it would give you true HDMI 2.0 support direct from the card, no waiting for/paying extra for powered adapters.

Have you played around with the AMD/ATI pixel clock patch and Custom Resolution Utility from monitortest.com? Check them out, you may be able to do better than 24Hz then, even with your current card.

Silent-Circuit,

It's tempting, but with the adapters scheduled to release next month for only $35, I don't mind the wait. I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy, so I'm okay with staying put for now. I mostly use it for websurfing and occasional gaming, so it's no big deal. (Although the refresh rate on my laptop makes me very jealous. XD)

And I can't say I have! I'll look into it, though. Technically, I can do a higher hz, but I'd have to decrease the resolution a bit to do so. I can do 60hz at 1080p, but I'd rather not upscale when I could instead be enjoying all these wonderful pixels. I can do 3840 x 2160 too at 30hz, but I'd get a black bar on the left and right side of this TV.

And I can't say I have! I'll look into it, though. Technically, I can do a higher hz, but I'd have to decrease the resolution a bit to do so. I can do 60hz at 1080p, but I'd rather not upscale when I could instead be enjoying all these wonderful pixels. I can do 3840 x 2160 too at 30hz, but I'd get a black bar on the left and right side of this TV.

Yeah, mess around with those 2 utilities (patch with the pixel clock thing, then try to set a custom res with CRU of 4K@60Hz 4:4:4, basically) and consider making a thread on their forum / searching for info about your card / display there (someone else may have tried a similar combo before). They can be slow to respond, a day or two, as it seems not many people frequent there, but everyone I talked to was really helpful and knowledgeable. The guy that wrote the utilities looks through the threads there and offers help/suggestions, which is pretty cool.

Back