Good 2x256 or Crappy 2x512

Kid Cruel

n00b
Was wondering your ops on getting one or the other ? would good 2x256 be better then 2x512 of generic ram .

generic worked for me but I don't overclock. I would'nt suggest getting low quality anything for a computer though because it might cause problems. Depending on what your doing with the ram I'd say get the good ram.

Thats a really good question and hard to answer. I would say get some PQI ram that is kinda medium quallity but user very high end chips. I have recently moved from 512 of good ram to 1gb of good ram and I wish that I had originally bought 1gb of good ram because it would have been cheaper and I could have been enjoying it for the past year. IMO, 1gb is sweet!

if by crapy ram you mean high latencies like cas3 4-4-8, get the gig youll be better off, i sure as hell cant tell a bit of difference in gaming with loose latencies compared to tight ones, sure benchmarks show it. now good quality ram overclocks farther usally.

if i was in your shoes id want a gig of memory even if it means having to cut some corners on cas latencies and overclocking

If not overclocking get some Corsair Value Select 512. IT is extremely cheap and would work well in a system not being overclocked.

A few questions...
1. Is this a comparison of fancy OCing ram (PC4000, CAS 2, etc) vs. "regular" (PC3200 cas3, etc.) or are you asking $65/512 stick cheapo PC3200 vs. "regular" name brand memory? I'm guessing it's the former, since the cheap stuff is maybe $65/stick while quality "regular" memory (Corsair Value Select or similar) is about $75/512 stick.

2. Do you think you'll want/be able to spend more $$$ reasonably soon on ram?

3. Can your mobo work with just one stick? How bad is the speed penalty?

If you said yes to 2 and 3, you might want to consider 1x512 now and add another one later.

Back