Good 120mm x 38mm fans for push/pull on radiator

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
As above - I'm looking to replace the Scythe S-FLEX fans I'm currently using on a Corsair H70, and since I have plenty of room in the case, am thinking about 38mm fans instead of the current 25s.

Options I'm trying to get more data on:

I would prefer not to involve a high-speed fan with some kind of RPM limiter, as I'm trying to keep my cable management under control and want to just use the 3-pin mobo headers (but I can make an exception if there is just no other way).

I don't need "silent", but prefer "quiet". The fans I currently have were tested by SilentPCReview at 31 dBA. Somewhere around there is about right - the volume I currently have is fine, I'm just looking for more performance.

Thoughts?

I'd get a controller to give you some solid power and control of the fans.

Very diverse selection of solid 120x38mm fans here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s562/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-120mm_x_38mm_Fans-Page1.html

For overall value it is hard to beat the Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

Push and Pull works great but you really need to look at getting at least a 15mm shroud in between the fans and radiator to help maximize static pressure and flow.

Also look at air flow in your case or around the radiators to help design the best air flow configuration.

+1 on using a shroud. I'd use at least a 25mm shroud, especially since you likely already have plenty of unused 120x25mm fans you could butcher. Here's a good read on shroud sizes and push/pull.

http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

Not sure how well that 3000rpm ultra kaze undervolts...a lot of the 38mm fans seem to have noise issues (a clicking sound) when they undervolt. I'd research this aspect carefully, because when I undervolted my 2750rpm NMB-MAT Panaflo...ANY amount...click click click click click click click click click click click

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much information on static pressure tests.

Last edited:
I was actually going to be mounting them to the radiator with one of these on each side. 7mm, not 15mm, but should still help in that regard.

The airflow feeding the rad cooling shouldn't be too much of a concern - I'll be throwing one of these on the rear 120mm mount and switching the fan orientation to 'intake' rather than 'exhaust'.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to make sure to aim for a high static pressure fan...this adjustment will make the case effectively 'positive air pressure', and in drawing in through a moderately fine filter like that...

Not sure how well that 3000rpm ultra kaze undervolts...a lot of the 38mm fans seem to have noise issues (a clicking sound) when they undervolt. I'd research this aspect carefully, because when I undervolted my 2750rpm NMB-MAT Panaflo...ANY amount...click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

That was one of the (many!) reasons I didn't want to have to go with something running on a fan controller...

My kaze ultra made some click click noises at lower voltages with a Scythe KazeQ controller but I recently switched to a Lamptron FC3 and the clicking irregular noises cleaned up. Not the quietest fan but good for high cfm\static pressure on the cheap and with a good controller the irregular clicking noises go away.

Last edited:
You can use Delta server fans. 120x38 and pump something crazy like 150CFM. All you'd need is one. And they undervolt great, they don't make any noise even when running way undervolted.

You can use Delta server fans. 120x38 and pump something crazy like 150CFM. All you'd need is one. And they undervolt great, they don't make any noise even when running way undervolted.

Thanks for the tip.

In any case, I definitely don't want higher-speed fans that have to be put on a controller to run them at a quieter speed.

Surely, there must be a 38mm fan out there that runs at 30 dBA (-ish) and handles high static pressure situations well?

Push/pull is an optimum cooling configuration. If you use 2 fans at 30dBA ish each push/pull you are going to have a very loud fan combination.

Here is another option to consider. Get single TFC Triebwerk 120mm x 55mm fans. They come in three fan speed ratings. The medium fan model is right around 30dbA ish noise level.

The Triebwerk fans are designed to be used in pull configuration. I just ordered 3 of the high powered models. 3 of these fans will replace 6 fans that I'm using on my bottom Black ICE Stealth GT 360 radiator in push/pull.

Information about the fans: http://www.tfc-triebwerk.com/

BattleGTX448inPosition.jpg

Well just to have a data point -

TFC Triebwerk 120x55 manufacturer's claimed static pressure:
Low speed version (21dba) -- 1.62mm - H2O max @ 1200rpm
Medium speed version (30dba) -- 3.38mm - H2O max @ 1800rpm
High speed (?dba) -- 5.2mm - H20 max @ 2800rpm

Some healthy skepticism....I'm not sure how Triebwerk gets away with using a smaller diameter hub for their fans considering how large the hubs are on kaze, delta, panaflo, even gentle typhoons. I'd love to see a breakdown of that part of the fan...

Last edited:
I'd love to see a breakdown of that part of the fan...

Mine arrived yesterday. Will break down loop and reconfigure loop soon. I will take some photos of course.

These fans are the nicest packaged fans I have ever seen. The clear plastic frame is a little on the flimsy. Very thin walls. I've been trying to figure out why the manufacturer recommends best application in pull configuration and I think it is because the motor pushing may get hot and release heat through the radiator. So pull with high static pressure does seem to be the best config with the fans.

It's going to be a tight fit with the new fans. Hope I don't have to modify anything on the mount.

Oh man do I have a lot of questions burning in the back of my mind about testing different fan applications for the purpose of static pressure. The only way I'd have the time and the means is to have my senior design project correlate with this in some way.

Oh man do I have a lot of questions burning in the back of my mind about testing different fan applications for the purpose of static pressure. The only way I'd have the time and the means is to have my senior design project correlate with this in some way.

I have many questions as well. I haven't seen 3rd party review on the TFC Triebwerk fans.
Based on the quality of the packaging and cool WEB site the TFC Triebwerk look legit. They are German designed built in China to specifications and inspected for final quality and packaged in Germany for retail.

Static pressure seems to be hurt by obstructing the flow of air on either side of the radiator. TFC Triebwerk fans are supposed to be a sweet spot for maximum static pressure in pull configuration. The more I think about it the more it makes sense that by not having objects to impede airflow on either side of the radiator a well designed fan with proper spacing can create the ideal condition for high static pressure. The TFC Triebwerk are available at all of the top water cooling shops so that gives me reason to believe the product is legit.

Wish I had time to put the new fans on the radiator. All this chit chat about it is getting my mojo going to put the fans on the radiator.

Last edited:
I don't recall the model numbers, but I'm pretty sure the San-Ace/Sanyo Denki fans are some of the best 38mms. Panaflo is good, too.

Back