Good 120mm Fans.

what about the xilence fan here
68 CFM at only 21.2 dB is this seems a bit unlikely though. what do you think?

i haven't seen them around here in the US. It is possible that the specs are good, but without getting my hands on it, very hard to say.

I have heard some good things about the Noctua fans. They have some that look very nice. I am unwilling to pay $25 for them. But if i can find some cheaper i'll test them out.

I did see one with a black shell and white leds. It was real good looking.

I don't think Noctua has any led fans.

I bought the Nexus just before Christmas. They are truly 100% silence. Of course, w/ friction fit (an exact fit) along the edges of the computer, there is vibration noise. So at first, I put leather around the edges, it didn't work, but then I use soft foam along the edges, and it's been silent ever since.

The only thing you people need to know about 120 mm fan, is that at the very front of the computer, it draw in a significant amt. of dust into the machine, much more than w/o the front fan.

yes pretty much the same fan, just with LED's and made of that clear plastic rather than black.

they could be ever so slightly louder, but i doubt you will notice.

They're the same fans. If it's any louder, it would be vibrational noise from the slightly flimsier frame. Nothing you'd notice though.

Anyone try the M of H versions of the Yate Loons? Do they work well at 7v? Still quiet?

D12SM-12 70cfm @ 33dba
D12SH-12 88cfm @ 40dba

Anyone try the M of H versions of the Yate Loons? Do they work well at 7v? Still quiet?

D12SM-12 70cfm @ 33dba
D12SH-12 88cfm @ 40dba

Yes. The M version runs at about 34dba (1ft open air 12v) but doesn't push 70cfm. I'm guessing closer to 65, but I can't test this.

The H is a great fan. It undervolts to 6v very nicely.

Neither are as quiet as the L version at a similar airflow rate (scientific hand test :p)

Well, I've had 5 Scythe SFLEX E 120's for almost 6 months now. They sound the same today as they did last year. It's by no means a silent solution, but I'm not a fan of running stock speeds and small video cards. :D The other benefit of using the same fan throughout's the consistent noise that can be more easily ignored. All I hear is a soft whoosh that's more than acceptable for a gaming rig.

Well, I've had 5 Scythe SFLEX E 120's for almost 6 months now. They sound the same today as they did last year. It's by no means a silent solution, but I'm not a fan of running stock speeds and small video cards. :D The other benefit of using the same fan throughout's the consistent noise that can be more easily ignored. All I hear is a soft whoosh that's more than acceptable for a gaming rig.

amen to that. I have 4 of them. They are awesome fans, ive had mine about 5 months. They move a ton of air for how quiet they are. I do have them on a fan controller though, and when im not gaming, they are silent at 7V, but still moving a goos amount of air, and when im gaming and they are at 12V, you get a barely audible whoosh of air, and when the gaming starts, you cant hear them at all anyways :).. and at 12V they move a lot more air then the late loons, etc. They move more air than any of the near silent fans. These are by far the best fans ive ever owned, and the fan controller just makes them the best choice I have ever seen for a silent gaming machine.

its the Nexus Vantec Controller NXP 205

here are the pics in the case.

DSCN0586a.JPG

DSCN0466.jpg

here it is on the egg.

wow, i paid 14 for mine, now its $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999504

let me know if you want any other pics.

Good ol Panasonic Panaflo. Can't beat it. Nice and quiet, lots of airflow. 106cfm when you turn it up. The 80mm little brother is a little noisy though.

Lol, I had one...

That makes me miss my old Lian-Li. Beautiful case it was. But it just couldn't cool like the Stacker...

There's 7 120's in that puppy. :D

that's a lot of cooling

i got a stacker sitting next to me...i really need to fill it with something or sell it

Gonna revive this again.

I don't see thes CoolerMAsters but if the #'s are right they are great 120's.

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP
44.73CFM
19.1 dB-A

I'd take these over the Loons any day if these are the right #'s. They seems to sell for about $5 as well. About $1.50 more then the Loons when on sale but not a bad markup considering the #'s. Of course IF they are true.

Anybody have exp with these?

Gonna revive this again.

I don't see thes CoolerMAsters but if the #'s are right they are great 120's.

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP
44.73CFM
19.1 dB-A

I'd take these over the Loons any day if these are the right #'s. They seems to sell for about $5 as well. About $1.50 more then the Loons when on sale but not a bad markup considering the #'s. Of course IF they are true.

Anybody have exp with these?

I've used them several times. Perfectly good fan. Soft fan noise and moves air..

Thanks

I have Yate Leds right now and they aren't bad. I'm just looking for something that will push more with less sound.

I've used:

Silverstone FN 121- Very Good Air and pretty quiet probably the best air to noise ratio of all that I have used.
Yate Loons - Great Bang for the buck. Led version pretty much the same thing as the regular vversion. One thing that I though weird was that the orange and black one sounded a tad quieter. Maybe I had a unique one!
Scythe F- Hate it
Cooler MAster LEd - Pretty decent as well. Has a slight hum. If you can drop it a bit hum goes away.

What didn't you like about the 1600RPM SFLEX? I have the E rev and they've been great aside from my bending and twisting the wires to the point one or two of them don't start 100% of the time. I feel the Scythes are quieter than the black silverstones (fn-120?) and push more air than the black yate loon did.

What didn't you like about the 1600RPM SFLEX? I have the E rev and they've been great aside from my bending and twisting the wires to the point one or two of them don't start 100% of the time. I feel the Scythes are quieter than the black silverstones (fn-120?) and push more air than the black yate loon did.

I had the one that pushed the most air. I think it was the F version. Loudest fan I have ever used. Topped by only the Thermaltake LEd I 1st bought b4 I found out about their "lies".

Found this at SVC. I think I've heard of this co b4.

GLOBALWIN 120MM SILENT NCBEARING FAN
Spinning at 1300 RPM's and moving 41.7 CFM at 19 dBA the GlobalWin
http://www.svc.com/1202512l.html

You can drop acid on it and it will still work!!! ;)

I had the one that pushed the most air. I think it was the F version. Loudest fan I have ever used.
Thats odd. I have the S-FLEX F on top of my SI-128 and it isn't loud at 12V, and at 7V it cannot be heard sitting 2 feet from the Centurion 5 it's in. Maybe there is poor QC on these fans.

I had the one that pushed the most air. I think it was the F version. Loudest fan I have ever used. Topped by only the Thermaltake LEd I 1st bought b4 I found out about their "lies".

Found this at SVC. I think I've heard of this co b4.

GLOBALWIN 120MM SILENT NCBEARING FAN
Spinning at 1300 RPM's and moving 41.7 CFM at 19 dBA the GlobalWin
http://www.svc.com/1202512l.html

You can drop acid on it and it will still work!!! ;)

I've tried my fair share of 120mm fans. I had 2 globalwin fans a while back. Probably the best I've ever used. Sadly i broke 1 of them and the other i used for a system build for my brother. I definitely recommend these.

Thanks.

Just debating on those and the Coolermasters with slightly better #'s.

http://www.svc.com/r4-s2s-124k-gp.html

Supposedly 100 less rpm and 3 more CFM.

I've used these Coolermasters. Like them a lot. One often overlooked factor of performance & quiet fans is motor noise when used on a fan speed controller. Some fans, like SilenX will start making a slight high-pitched electric whine when fan speed is turned down (resistance issue I believe), these Coolermasters are good for not having that whine, so are the Nexus/Yates.

Have you used Yates b4? If you have what were your thoughts vs the Ytes and those CM's.

For example: CFM, DBA, undervolted, etc, etc..

I was about to buy the Globalwins but saw you post and waited! lol

I've used the Nexus, the Yates and the CMs. I prefer the Nexus above all (though Yate Loon now has a lower rpm fan series that I haven't used). Smooth as butter. However, if I had the CMs laying around I'd feel very comfortable using them.

DBAs and CFMs are very subjective and I don't have a scientific way of measuring them. But my "put my ear close" and "not so close" and my "how far does a piece of tissue paper get moved" tests have served me well.

I am looking for some new fans in my watercooling set up. My overall purpose is silence, so I need some 120 mm fans that are really really quite. Are yateloons really that quite or should I go with the scythe money is not that big of an issue but I do not want to send like 60 bucks on fans if I can avoid it.

I am looking for some new fans in my watercooling set up. My overall purpose is silence, so I need some 120 mm fans that are really really quite. Are yateloons really that quite or should I go with the scythe money is not that big of an issue but I do not want to send like 60 bucks on fans if I can avoid it.

I have the Nexus ones and they are well worth the money
o and the noctuna are freaking awesome too I forgot about those as they are so quiet and these are the ones that you just have to try

I had a few 120mm fans,:scythe, silverstone, nexus, noctuna.
RThe perfect combination are NEXUS for case and Noctuna for CPU.
Scythe is quite loud and I don't recommend it for case cooling.
NEXUS is really fantastic!!!

Anyone have any experience with the 20mm Yate Loons? They seem to have better specs than the 25mm versions.

YATE LOON D12SL-12C

CFM: 62.0
dB: 28.5

I was looking at that one tonight and they also have this one:
http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120x120x20mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12C-Low-Speed-pr-3825.html

D12SL-12C Low Speed

Low profile 120mm case fan.

Specifications:

Model: D12SL-12C
Dimensions:120x120x20mm
Rated Voltage: 12 Volts
Operation Voltage: 6.5~13.8 Volts
Input current: 0.30 Amp Max
Operation temperature: -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature: -40 to +70 C
RPM: 1300 +/- 10%
CFM: 44.5
dB: 20.8

Someone said that the 25mm Yates pushed decent air but weren't as quiet at similar CFM's. Anyone else confirm? A nice 5V mod might just do the trick!

Simply put, never trust what the ad says, go by rpm, not sure how many db's there are, (and neither do you unless you have a meter) but I normally try to never go over 1200 rpm.

Someone said that the 25mm Yates pushed decent air but weren't as quiet at similar CFM's. Anyone else confirm? A nice 5V mod might just do the trick!
I had this fan and prefer the 1200RPM Silverstone and SFLEX, both in noise signature/volume and airflow.

...Arctic Cooling fans w/ 38mm depth and big asses...

80x80x38.5
2000RPM
.3 sone
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186006

120x120x38.5
1500RPM
23.5DB
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186008

Both of these have slower variants by 500RPM. The slower (l variant) of the 80 spins @ 1500 and spits out .15 sone. The 120 l spins @ 1000 and costs your ears 20DB. A friend of mine has the faster 120 and compared it to my SFLEX E. He said they both sound similar, but the AC blows a fierce amount of air.

I'll be ordering the 80mm from the egg for a top mounted blowhole in the stacker and will be able to finally use one on a day to day basis. Another friend has the 2000 80mm and it def sounded the same, maybe quieter than my 120's (1200RPM). They seemed to push the same or maybe more air too!

Cons:

-little static pressure, so probably not good for a heatsink
-funky mount, so mainly exhaust

Now I may be able to get away w/ this since I keep my intake fans a good 4-5 inches from the grills on the stacker. 2 of them hang from zipties up top. Now the 3rd intake pushes air over the HDD...and I don't think the AC would be a good fit there as it's not designed to "push" air.

So what do you guys think about these?

wow...i'm in shock these thread is even still running.

now that i am getting ready for a new system build again i might start another round of fan testing...

Back