Good 120mm Fans.

I had the black ones that were locked at the slower speed. That white one can get loud if you turn it up...

Jodiuh said:
What's quieter...those or the Scythe SFLEX E's? Anyone?

the loons are louder then the s flex fans, but not by a huge amount
both a good fans the loons are dirt cheap though, that's a big plus for them.

I think the tri cools that come with the p180 are more than enough and can just be put on low mode if you want less noise...

wtburnette said:
Well, I was hoping for some real world feedback, not just marketing info. Sidewinder is actually where I was looking to get them from, since I buy all my cooling stuff from Gary... ;)

Well, no help was forthcoming, so I decided to try a couple of these for myself. My son's computer has been having shut down issues which I believe may be caused by high CPU temps, as he's using the stock HSF. I bought him a Thermalright XP-90 and bought one of the 80mm Akasa Amber fans to go on it. I also bought myself one of the 120mm fans to replace my TT Thunderblade LED fan on the side of my stacker 830. We'll see if there's a big difference in airflow or reduction in noise (I hope)... ;)

movax said:
I'm sure that in 23 pages of thread, someone has bought and used these fans...

Oh yea I own the yate loons but I have never had the tri cools, so I can't really compare. The loons are nice and I think from what I have heard is that they are between the low and medium setting on the tri-cools for both noise and airflow

I have the orange yates in a p180, replaced all the tri-cools. At 12v, they're a bit louder than the tri's at medium. At 7v, they're quieter than the tri's at 5v. No bearing noise at all.

well worth it.

i think antec has a few "large fans" coming out soon, i'd be interested to see what they offer

dtess17 said:
i think antec has a few "large fans" coming out soon, i'd be interested to see what they offer

hey, I remember I read an article on this forum about someone alter his Nexus fan. He drilled a few holes, etc. I thought it's in this thread, but after going thru 23 pages, it's not.

Do you by chance remember which thread it is?

Is this fan any good?

Aerocool 120mm Silver Lightning

Specs:

* Dimension: 120x120x25 mm
* Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
* Operating Voltage: 10.2-13.8 VDC
* Air Flow: 61.17 CFM
* Static Pressure: 0.065 Inch-H2O
* Input Current: 0.33 A (MAX.)
* Input Power: 3.96 W
* Speed: 1,000 RPM¡Ó10%
* Noise: 19.58 dBA
* Weight: 130 grams

Has anyone tried these before?

THERMALTAKE A2368 120MM HIGHEST PERFORMANCE DC FAN 78CFM 21DBA
Link

Are Thermaltake full of crap again? 78CFM @ 21DBA?

first Kherozene,
I have a few of those, and the 140mm ones too. They are pretty quiet and look good (pretty thin too) but 60CFM is a bit optimistic.

DragoonTD I really like some TT stuff but a 2000rpm fan thats 21Db... mabye 20 feet away.. :rolleyes:

Just FEI (for everyone's information :p)

The 4$ Yate Loons (Jab-Tech) have, according to my testing, bearing noise every... 1/8.

I ordered 81 of them from a local electronics store for my system builds (2.30$ each CANADIAN) and 8 of them exhibited quite a bit more noise than the rest of them (a good 3db).

Same model #...

Thermaltake fans are full of crap. To get a 21db rating You'd have to be a good 10ft away or more...

Jodiuh said:
Unknown-One said:
*looks over shoulder, 5 inch hole saw in hand.*

I'm working on it, I'm working on it :p
HAAH@U! Pics!!
Gah, I forgot to take pics while I was modding it!

Oh well, my Lian-Li PC-62b now has a 120mm rear exhaust and 120mm blowhole :D

Yate loons are indeed very quiet...but is that because they spin slower? At full blast they're only at 1350, whereas the stock fan on my case went at about 1550.

That's part of it. The other, is that the blade shape probubly helps it in some way, and the way it's extremely smooth helps a lot.

Arcygenical, did you get the black or the orange yates? where, may I ask?

I just installed a Nexus 120 mm fan, the fan by itself, as in holding the edge by my hand, is very quiet.

But because my front bottom case is not very wide, once the fan is installed, there is some vibration noise. So what I did is to put a stripe of leather around the edges, and fiction feed the fan along the bottom front of the computer. (It's a tight fit).

Anyhoo, I can still hear the vibration noise. It's not too bad, better than w/o the leather. It sounds like a washer machine rotation noise which "appear" coming from my main floor. So it's not loud, but I notice a difference before and after.

1) should I try using foam instead of leather, would it be better?

2) Any other suggestion?

Regarding the Orange Yate-Loons - I bought them a while ago, but have since replaced them, since I don't think they push a whole lot of air...

I used them as the exhaust and intake fan on my Lian Li PC-7 Plus, and didn't feel any air coming off the front fan, sucking through the included filter and front grill...I checked the exhaust fan at the back of the case, and felt no air leaving my case.

Yeah, they're quiet, but don't perform very well, IMO.

38mm AC fans are mentioned in this thread. Here's one which may or maynot fall within spec.
http://www.conrad-direct.co.uk/electronic/fan_tm_220.sap

# Dimensions: (L x W x H) 120 x 120 x 38 mm
# Colour: Black
# Material: Metal
# Max. Output: 180 m³/h
# Max. Noise: 28 - 32 dBA
# Nominal speed: 1800 rpm
# Nominal voltage: 230 V/50 Hz

The 38mm fans are especially good at producing pressure. And the one above is quieter than a similar spec panaflo.
For more general purpose tasks I've been using Noctua 80mm & 120mm units & they are very nice units... no good for producing pressure .

Jodiuh said:
What's quieter...those or the Scythe SFLEX E's? Anyone?

I have the Scyth SFLEX 63 cfm fan.They are the highest rated CFM Sflex there is. It's quiet, and I seriously doubt they are pushing 63 cfm the wind comming out of them is very minimal. I'd almost be as bawlsy to say that scythe most likely straight out lied on the output of these fans. Quiet indeed, but more like a 35 cfm fan.

I'm looking for a nice, quiet 120mm fan to mount on an SI-120. I heard that the Yate Loon and Nexus fans have sleeve bearings that shouldn't be used on heatsinks. Are there other quiet options pulling enough air to OC my A64 3200+ Venice?

Would a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F work? I've heard these fans are inconsistent, some are really loud, and some are quiet.

Now I dont have any offical way to test this...

But i have 4 of the s-flex F series, and i LOVE them.

And i dont know about others experiences, but I have lined up nexus's, Yate loons, and the s-flex f's up on my fan controller, and there is no DOUBT the F-series is pumping out quite a bit more cfms than the other 2, you can feel the difference.

Yes the F Series is slighty louder than the other 2. What i like most about the s-flex is, when on a fan controller them pump out a lot more air than the other 2, and on low, they pump the same amout as the other 2, and just as silent.

So its silent when I want it to be, and when im gaming I turn them up to full, and its still pretty quiet, its the quietest 60 plus CFM fan i have ever owned.

To me the S-flex F-series give the best possible solution of noise VS air flow.

If you just concerned about noise, than the Yate Loons are the way to go, decent CFM's, very quiet, and a great price.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go with a Yate Loon for my rear exhaust, and put an S-Flex F-series on my heatsink.

Oline61

Has anyone actually tried these? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5379/fan-268/Noctua_NF-S12-1200_120mm_Fan_48_CFM.html#blank Specs are stated as...

Noctua: NF-S12-1200
Bearing Type SSO Bearing Power Rating 0.12A / 1.44W
Frame Size 120 x 120 x 25 mm Hub Size 1.63"
RPM Rating 1,200 RPM Header Type 3-pin
Airflow Rating 81 m³/h (48 CFM) Starting Voltage 2.9V
Noise Rating 17 dBA

Voltage Noise RPM CFM Power
12V 25 dBA@1m 1250 RPM 63 CFM 1.32W
9V 21~22 dBA@1m 1020 RPM 52 CFM 1.00W
7V ~20 dBA@1m 840 RPM 42 CFM 0.79W
5V <19 dBA@1m 640 RPM 30 CFM 0.60W
@25 CFM (4.3V) <19 dBA@1m 570 RPM 25 CFM 0.53W

Those seem very interesting. The fan blade design seems like it would create tons of turbulence thus lots of noise. I'm not sure I believe the 25dba rating. I'd love to try them out but not for $25 lol

I have heard some good things about the Noctua fans. They have some that look very nice. I am unwilling to pay $25 for them. But if i can find some cheaper i'll test them out.

I did see one with a black shell and white leds. It was real good looking.

Anyone know if jabtech is still around? I have an order from the 2nd that is just sitting there unfilled with no response to an inquiry to their 'contact us' form I sent to them asking about it.

By looking at the Loon's they seem like pretty reasonable fans considering the CFM/dB. I'm wondering though, at just $4 a pop, are they for real, or are they cheaply made?

By looking at the Loon's they seem like pretty reasonable fans considering the CFM/dB. I'm wondering though, at just $4 a pop, are they for real, or are they cheaply made?

No, they aren't cheaply made, actually very sturdy. Good 120mm fan with very little amount of buzz. Just airflow noise mainly... I'd go go grab one unless you want LEDs or a higher flow, but for what they are IMO they are the best choice

Best $4 you could spend on a fan. As has been mentioned before in the thread some have a little ticking on them, but overall they are very very high quality.

Back