Good 120mm Fans.

You ordered the wrong fan. You want the F*M*121, not the F*N*121. The FM includes a fan controller.

I just put all my parts into a new Cooler Master case, moved my stock Big Typhoon fan to the exhaust fan mount and put the FM121 on my heatsink. Running at 2000 RPM it keeps my processor as cool as my motherboard (sitting at 26/26 as I write this) and is tons quieter than the slew of 80mm fans I ran in my last case. When I'm gaming with my headphones on, I can crank it up to max and not exceed 41C playing Oblivion or CS:S.

Well, it is the FN-121 that's listed in the first post of this thread - but I agree completely, I should have ordered the FM. Blech! If I replace them now I'll end up with about 10 surplus 120mm fans. I can't eturn them now :(

From what I remember of the nine blade, black silverstone...

-quieter than the antec tricools on med
-a touch less airflow

/begin rant

IMO, it's the shady P180 here. From the restrictive grills on the back, to the ones in the front...then there's the filters...the fan BEHIND the damn hdd's...oh and a door too. If you put your hand behind a fan running in free flow air and then behind the p180...it's laughable. So the fix? Stacker 810! Stacker 810! Stacker 810!

/end rant

Why is the 810 stacker so good? I'm interested in a better case but.... I only need 1 5.25 drive bay and it has 11 :eek:

Airflow. It's one of a select few w/ dual 120's in the rear. IMO, the best airflow is:

intake - bottom front
exhaust - top rear

The reason...heat rises. So we suck in our cold air from the bottom and blow out the hot air from the rear. The Stacker allows for this config exactly. Here's a couple shots for an example.

Also, notice I removed the grills from the rear. The airflow is completely unrestricted. Most cases have this integrated w/ chassis...necessitating the use of a dremel. The benefit aside from increased airflow can also be heard. Since the air doesn't hit the grill, the noise's much more constant and tolerable.

As for the front 11 bays...they have pinholed bezels. The 120's are a good inch or two away from them and able to pull in a decent amount of airflow. When all's said and done, moving from the P180 to the Stacker decreased my cpu temps by 7C. The HDD's went down 10C. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that. :D

Got mine from sundialmicro.com for 160 shipped. Ordered around 3PM, shipped that day. You'll pay a small premium for the Black one.

Jodiuh said:
From what I remember of the nine blade, black silverstone...

-quieter than the antec tricools on med
-a touch less airflow

/begin rant

IMO, it's the shady P180 here. From the restrictive grills on the back, to the ones in the front...then there's the filters...the fan BEHIND the damn hdd's...oh and a door too. If you put your hand behind a fan running in free flow air and then behind the p180...it's laughable. So the fix? Stacker 810! Stacker 810! Stacker 810!

/end rant

The white 11-bladers are even better than the 9 bladers.

I wouldn't say the grilles in the back are as restrictive as some of the other cases I've used, but I recommend the use of the upper spoiler + removal of the upper grille, and removal of the rear grille also.

As for the fan behind, you actually can fit a fan in front, but it's to help with airflow over the drives + power supply also, which is something which I've never seen before.

The thing they can get rid of, is the restrictive front grilles. Very restrictive, add to that filters, and the filter doors which also let in next to no air. it's quieter with the filters out.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulqu.html

If I have a fan that is also NMB MAT 120mmx38mm, but rated at 12V 0.4A, and I replace it w/ the above (link) at 0.24A. What would happens besides a reduction of CFM?

Because the HP tower that c/w the above 0.4A NMB at 120mm x 38mm, I look at the spec. the fan is made to support a max. load of 5 hard drives.

So if I only use 2 hard drives, can the fan of the above link works? it's lower cfm but same diameter and thickness

Hmm...I saw the white one today at fry's w/ 9 blades. Am I missing the boat?

I'm thinking about mounting a 120mm at the bottom of the case aiming up to help remove the Accelero's death grip on my board, hehe.

The specs may be right however every co has a different way of measuring sound.

MC FLMJIG said:
Maybe I'm dreaming but I know I saw a 120mm fan that was actually a 130 or a 140mm. I really thought it was a Silverstone but I can't find it on their page. (Wasn't a TT, bleh).

I'm almost definite I saw it on Newegg as well.

Am I going nuts?

Btw dtess there are some 140mm that are quiet as well. Yate loon has some.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=316&products_id=20771

Don't know if this was discussed b4.

i'm sure 140mm fans are doing rather well and should be rather quiet. I haven't worked with any, and i do not plan to at this point. I'm pretty happy with the performace of 120's and they are generally more common as a mounting option that other fans now.

if 140mm fans replace 120's then i will start a new list

Over here in Brazil we don't have all those types on the 120mm fan list. Only some Thermaltakes make it here and very expensively.

What is sold here is the Akasa Ultra-quiet Orange series, that come in 60, 80, 90 and 120mm types.

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/spec_page/fans/spec_ak_183_l2b.htm

They claim 44.8 CFM @ 18.0 dBA, but I wouldn't trust those numbers.

Has anyone tried them?

I am presently using two 120mm types, front and rear, and 80mm on the case floor blowing onto the VGA and chipset. They are quite silent, though I don't know if they would go even more silent by changing the voltages.

BTW: how is that done?

The rear 120mm might work more silently if I'd cut the case perforated plate it blows through. Would it?

The front 120mm is blowing into the HDDs, replacing the 80mm which was previously there. I changed onto the 120mm yesterday, also changing the flat IDE and floppy cables onto round ones.

The main reason to do that was to lower the temp on my Seagates, a 200GB PATA and a 250GB SATA, which were in the mid 30s C temp. But I still get 34 and 38 from them, respectively. Should I worry about that temp or it's fine?

The Samsung HDDs I use run much cooler, rarely reaching 30C, probably because of their lower RPM.

carlmart said:
Over here in Brazil we don't have all those types on the 120mm fan list. Only some Thermaltakes make it here and very expensively.

What is sold here is the Akasa Ultra-quiet Orange series, that come in 60, 80, 90 and 120mm types.

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/spec_page/fans/spec_ak_183_l2b.htm

They claim 44.8 CFM @ 18.0 dBA, but I wouldn't trust those numbers.

Has anyone tried them?

I am presently using two 120mm types, front and rear, and 80mm on the case floor blowing onto the VGA and chipset. They are quite silent, though I don't know if they would go even more silent by changing the voltages.

BTW: how is that done?

The rear 120mm might work more silently if I'd cut the case perforated plate it blows through. Would it?

The front 120mm is blowing into the HDDs, replacing the 80mm which was previously there. I changed onto the 120mm yesterday, also changing the flat IDE and floppy cables onto round ones.

The main reason to do that was to lower the temp on my Seagates, a 200GB PATA and a 250GB SATA, which were in the mid 30s C temp. But I still get 34 and 38 from them, respectively. Should I worry about that temp or it's fine?

The Samsung HDDs I use run much cooler, rarely reaching 30C, probably because of their lower RPM.

Your hard drive temps seem 100% fine to me.
If you are interested in lowering the voltage they sell little adapters. usually 12-7V

and yes if you cut away the extra crap metal you will hear less noise because there will be less of an obstruction in the way of the air.

carlmart said:
Has anyone tried the Cooler Master UV Silent fan?

That can be purchased here.

yeah i've used them before. It's pretty much the same as thier LED fans. They are pretty quiet and move some air. Some fans do end up making a slight ticking noise after some time.

overall not a bad choice if you get them cheap.

I had 2 of them and they are good... when on 12v I would get a slight hum though.

I have a question...

I bought a yate loon, orange and black one, and it was the best fan I have ever owned. I broke it and bought another loon, the all black one, but it sounds LOUDER...It's supposed to be the same but it doesn't sound the same... any ideas? Maybe the orange and black are more silent? The all black seems to push a bit more though.

MC FLMJIG said:
I had 2 of them and they are good... when on 12v I would get a slight hum though.

I have a question...

I bought a yate loon, orange and black one, and it was the best fan I have ever owned. I broke it and bought another loon, the all black one, but it sounds LOUDER...It's supposed to be the same but it doesn't sound the same... any ideas? Maybe the orange and black are more silent? The all black seems to push a bit more though.

all black fans are slightly different than the orange ones. Nexus rebrands yate fans and lowers their rpms and cfms. yate does this aswell for their fans.

They're $3.70 and $3.75 at jab-tech :)

And the black ones <<< orange ones. by far.

I have added another SFLEX E for a total of 6. And this one's where's needed most. ;)

Jodiuh said:
I have added another SFLEX E for a total of 6. And this one's where's needed most. ;)

ain't much for looks but i'm sure it does the job rather well.
nice work

I replaced my 2 stock 120's with Yate Loons in a Lian Li - PC-V600. they work great, very much quieter and awesome price @ $5.50 for 2!!! Got the orange ones.

dtess17 said:
ain't much for looks but i'm sure it does the job rather well.
nice work
Nah, you caught her at a bad angle, here...

MrWizard6600 said:
how should one test for CFM? what does it even stand for?
No clue, but it means cubic feet per minute. You want a higher number. I would say:

low = below 30
medium = 30 to 50
high = 50 to 80
nuts = tornados, panaflos, and that.[.url]

Man Jodiuh that is quite pretty! I love seeing CM Stackers that actually look full. Is that the x1900xt thats in your sig? And what are the temps/OC?

Geo Fry said:
Man Jodiuh that is quite pretty! I love seeing CM Stackers that actually look full. Is that the x1900xt thats in your sig? And what are the temps/OC?

Ambient temps about 25C, card idles @ 39C, loads @ 67C. The best part was the 12C drop on the system temp when I got rid of the Accelero. The 120 on the GPU directs all the air up where the dual 120's take it right out the back. I should be able to kill at least 3-5C w/ a lap job on it as it's got some machining to it.

How much does the fan controller on the FM121 stick out? I'd like to get one but the fan controller might not fit in my case with the door closed.

ococ said:
I replaced my 2 stock 120's with Yate Loons in a Lian Li - PC-V600. they work great, very much quieter and awesome price @ $5.50 for 2!!! Got the orange ones.

Where do you get orange Yate Loons for that price ($5.50 for 2)?

Which is the best price & place to Nexus Real Silent fans?

I got them at jab-tech, but it came as part of a package deal when i bought the ninja plus. They're about 5 each normally?

i'd say jabtech is the best place to get your fans.
They have good prices on most everything.

I've seen the Akasa Amber series posted here a couple times. Anyone have more info on them? They seem to have decent specs...

Back