Good 120mm Fans.

xtasyindecay said:
Do the Scythes push more CFM than the Antecs?

The Yate Loon's seem to cool better than the TriCool's on low and are just as silent (probably even a little quieter). The one Scythe I have seems about the same as the Nexus 120, but unfortunately whines a little at full speed so I have to undervolt it so it is not annoying. I don't think the Scythe I have is the most popular ones they make, it is just the 120mm that came with the Ninja. I use it because the P180 blowhole fan is not installed by 4 screws but uses these slots that the Yate Loons and Nexus 120 won't fit into.

The advantage of replacing the TriCool's was being able to plug my fans into the motherboard and control them by utility. But in reality since they are so quiet I just leave them full blast.

After going from the Tricools on low, to medium, then the Sycthe E (49CFM, 21DB) in a P180 w/ 3 fans...ambient temp is 24C for all.

1. Tricools on low = VERY quiet, almost inaudible...scary. Unfortunately, my 2 HDD's temps idled at 37C for Raptor 74 Rev. 2 and 42C for Hitachi 7K250.

2. Tricools on med = meh...not quiet...almost loud...but my HDD's dropped almost 5C.

3. Scythes = not loud, almost quiet and in between the 2 Antec speeds, temps in line with med on the Tricools.

Enter Stacker 810 and 4 Scythes...

Stacker810temps.jpg

Notice the raptor now hovers at 2C over ambient. They load up maybe 3-4C and I sleep much...MUCH better. :D

With all the dozens of brand name out there, they still don't have a high CFM fan that is as quiet or close to quiet as the Nexus.

If I can't get a 69 cfm fan and as silent as the Nexus, I'll have to cut a hole for a second nexus fan, unless there is another option.

Someone from silent pc send me this link, it's a very useful pdf file on parallel and series fan cooling power.

You guys should read it. It's an excellent article.

http://www.orientalmotor.de/de/uploads/documents/21122005152222.pdf

I'm partial to the Delta 120x38mm TFB Extreme

210 cfm, 65 dba, and the innate ability to remove unwary fingers

Eh? Since when do I have an airport by my house? Oh, that's my computer.

Grayscale said:

might be worthwhile to read the first post, because we are looking for quiet fans.
65dba is insane. about 40dba more than the average fans i use...

Grayscale said:

Yea for real... read about the thread you are posting in... and welcome to the forums :p

Man I cannot stress enough how happy I am with Yate Loon D12SL-12s. I have 3 of these and all are equally quiet... as where I have purchased other brands where some are good and others have bad bearing rub. They are great for anyone wanting a good quiet fan run at stock 12v and not wanting to mess with a fan controller... and for only 4 dollars

I'm building a case ATM that will have only 1 yate loon as an intake and a silverstone PSU with a silverstone 120mm 9-blade fan as the exhaust. Other than that there will only be the CPU fan. I'm hoping it will be damn near silent. Will post when finished to let yall know :)

I sleep in the room my pc is in so that would be a good fan right?

i thought that thing was a wood chipper at first...

anyways has anyone tried anything new? Something on the market i should look at?

These Evercool Green fans seem interesting. The specs say the 120mms spin at 800rpm and the bearings are 'ever lubricate' whatever that means. anything at 800rpm should be near silent... I wonder how much air they push and how they compare to the s-flex Ds at 800rpm. Reviews for them seem ok and at $8 they are decent on the pocket book... plus they are good for the environment :p.

Plus they cary a 140mm version that spins at 600rpm... mmm tempting

Here they are at the egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119074

Geo Fry said:
Man I cannot stress enough how happy I am with Yate Loon D12SL-12s.
I'm useing some of these now...while they are quieter, they don't feel like they are pushing nearly as much CFM as the stock 80MM fans that came on my Lian-Li... Kinda strange considering the stock fans are rated at 26CFM / 23dba, while the Yate Loon's are 47CFM / 28DBA, they just don't feel like they are pushing that much air :(

The 120mm fan that came with my Big Typhoon, however, is working great. Its even quieter than the Yate Loon's and it pushes more air (rated at 54CFM / 16dba)...say, any idea where to buy those?

Hmm.. the YL D12SL12's aren't really as quiet at 12v as everyone says they are. The tri-cools at 5, 7, AND 12v really aren't quiet enough for my liking.

Oh well. Time for a fan controller.

Bbq said:
Hmm.. the YL D12SL12's aren't really as quiet at 12v as everyone says they are. The tri-cools at 5, 7, AND 12v really aren't quiet enough for my liking.

Oh well. Time for a fan controller.

There is still nexus or scythe

Unknown-One said:
I'm useing some of these now...while they are quieter, they don't feel like they are pushing nearly as much CFM as the stock 80MM fans that came on my Lian-Li... Kinda strange considering the stock fans are rated at 26CFM / 23dba, while the Yate Loon's are 47CFM / 28DBA, they just don't feel like they are pushing that much air :(

The 120mm fan that came with my Big Typhoon, however, is working great. Its even quieter than the Yate Loon's and it pushes more air (rated at 54CFM / 16dba)...say, any idea where to buy those?

the 80 will feel like it is pushing more air because the air is more focused. The 120 overall is likely moving more air around, you just don't feel as much force.

I'm not really sure what fan is used with the BT, if it is a thermaltake fan we can assume the numbers are off, but it may indeed be pretty quiet.

Bbq said:
Nexus' are just rebranded and hand-picked YL's, and I'll look into scythe.
well aware of that fact, but they are a good amount quieter also.
Scythe is nice though,

Somewhat OT, but I've got a spot for an 80mm in the Stacker. Any ideas? No louder than the Scythe E's preferably.

Jodiuh said:
Somewhat OT, but I've got a spot for an 80mm in the Stacker. Any ideas? No louder than the Scythe E's preferably.
silverstone had an 80 that is quiet, vantec is ok.

That's right. Do you think it would make a difference in the Stacker? Would it even help, lol...it'd be for blowhole. I'd really like to put my white coolermaster LED up there and hook it up to the mobo. Then let speedfan control it auto. I had it on a Lian Li and it was sweet to see it dim if the pc was chillin'. Then it would get gradually brighter as the CPU temp went up...a nice way to see if my latest OC took well and Prime's still going at quick glance. :p

Jodiuh said:
That's right. Do you think it would make a difference in the Stacker? Would it even help, lol...it'd be for blowhole. I'd really like to put my white coolermaster LED up there and hook it up to the mobo. Then let speedfan control it auto. I had it on a Lian Li and it was sweet to see it dim if the pc was chillin'. Then it would get gradually brighter as the CPU temp went up...a nice way to see if my latest OC took well and Prime's still going at quick glance. :p

I don't think it could hurt, i was thinking of turing mine into a 120mm blowhole.
i just got a thing for 120's. More air, less noise. I think it's the sweet spot

Well, now I know exactly what fan to avoid:

Antec Tri-cool 120x38. On low, it buzzes. On high, it's reletivly loud. On medium, it's buzzy and loud.

Coolermaster 80mm that comes with the Ceuturion. Ugh.

Bbq said:
Well, now I know exactly what fan to avoid:

Antec Tri-cool 120x38.

Hahahahhahahah...bzzzz....krrrttkkkttttt..... I loved that fan. :D

120's are superior in every way to 80's. IMO any case still using 80's needs to be torn apart. I'm talking to you Lian Li!!!

Jodiuh said:
Hahahahhahahah...bzzzz....krrrttkkkttttt..... I loved that fan. :D

120's are superior in every way to 80's. IMO any case still using 80's needs to be torn apart. I'm talking to you Lian Li!!!

i agree, i like to see all cases using 2 or 3 120's from now on.

Jodiuh said:
IMO any case still using 80's needs to be torn apart. I'm talking to you Lian Li!!!
*looks over shoulder, 5 inch hole saw in hand.*

I'm working on it, I'm working on it :p

Now for something a little OT...

The latest case I bought (an Antec Titan 550) has a rear 120mm, and two front 92mm fans. Are there any good choices for quiet 92's?

On a side note, if I modify or totally replace the front drive door with a custome one I can fit 2 120's there. It is something I am seriously considering, but it will be tight.

...Got one more thing to add... Can you please post some info on each fan at the beginning of the thread, i.e, which ones have RPM monitoring, RPM's, etc...? I think that info would be a great addition.

dtess17 said:
was there really any need for that? a normal size link works just as well.
and yeah it's all funny to post these fans that are 60+ dba but really come on now. Read first post, and work from there. Some people come here to get real info.
Sorry about the font size... Well some people do want this fan so I'm just merely sharing the info... And by the way the fan I linked to isn't 60+ Db it's rated at 59. Regardless sorry for breaking your low limit of 28Db MAX...

Happy Hopping said:
I don't get as to how they come up w/ such huge difference of the dBA on the fans such as ARctic Cooling vs. their 'measured' dBA from 10 cm.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=421

So does this mean ALL these manufacturers are lying their ass off? We are talking about in virtually all cases, the dBA is double or more than the listed spec. from all these manufacturers.

How can all these manufacturer all be lying?
Well, if you read the article you'll see the Crazy Crustaceans tested the fans on top of a Big Typhoon with ambient noise in the room...the manufacturers get their results in a soundproof chamber with just the fan itself. I would say most manufacturers fudge the dba, cfm and also the rpm in most cases. Of course I doubt any of them got their results using real world testing like Mad Shrimps so the numbers could possibly be replicated in a controlled environment.

edit- most electronics makers do this...check out how various lcd manufacturers determine their contrast ratio. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Partly based on this thread I swapped out the 4 antec 'tri-cool' fans from my P180 case and replaced them with Silverstone FN121 fans. My experience is that I've instantly increased my case temp by almost 5c and cpu temp (idle) by 5c as well :rolleyes: . Yes they are quieter - but not that noticable considering my tri-cools were on medium. At that setting the cfm should be almost identical so I wonder whats up?

Kandor

kandor said:
Hi,

Partly based on this thread I swapped out the 4 antec 'tri-cool' fans from my P180 case and replaced them with Silverstone FN121 fans. My experience is that I've instantly increased my case temp by almost 5c and cpu temp (idle) by 5c as well :rolleyes: . Yes they are quieter - but not that noticable considering my tri-cools were on medium. At that setting the cfm should be almost identical so I wonder whats up?

Kandor

Hmm.. Consider turning the fans up a tiny bit with the included controllers, you can get up to about 1100-1150 rpm without much more noise, after that it ramps up considerably.

They really are great fans.

Hmm, mine didn't come with controllers? They are preset to run at 1200 rpm approx. I'm just finding that they don't move as much air based on the totally subjective test of holding my hand in front of it. In fact the top mounted fan in the P180 I though I had mounted upside down, I couldn't tell if it was sucking or blowing.!

Kandor

Back