Good 120mm Fans.

dtess17 said:
the only thing i don't like about the loons is the molex connector... i like the three pin better.
otherwise awesome fans.
Yeah, I don't like that either. All I did was pop the pins out, clip off the wires right at the base of the pins going to the molex and put a nice new BLACK three pin plug on. Looks much, much nicer. After all, as cheap as these things are, you're not going to RMA one if it breaks. :D

dtess17 said:
that's a hell of an idea, never even thought of that.
You'll need a small jeweler's type screwdriver to release the pins. Simply push down on the pin in each of the slots and pull the wire out. Not too much force is needed. I change out all my fans, I hate those white plugs.

might have to start doing that...could make wire managment much more fun too.

Hmm I've read this entire thread, and loads of newegg reviews and still can't make up my mind. I was planning on running 4 120mm fans in my PC-G70 Lian Li case.

I'm more focused on temps than noise but don't want something that is too loud.

DarkfallFan said:
Hmm I've read this entire thread, and loads of newegg reviews and still can't make up my mind. I was planning on running 4 120mm fans in my PC-G70 Lian Li case.

I'm more focused on temps than noise but don't want something that is too loud.

what are you looking at maybe i can help

I think I'm going to get a Antec P180 and I think I will get 2 yate loons for exhausts and then use the stock tricools for the intake and for the cpu fan. That way I can increse the speed for better cooling or turn them down for idle. what ya think?

dunno. prolly something from thermalright like the SI-128 (which has me worried cause it has a lot more fins than the SI-120 and I might need a fan w/ more pressure?)

Currently I have a 2.4P4C w/ stock cooling and I'm sorta getting ready for an upgrade. Just so happens the P180b is on sale today. 110 after 20 mib and free shipping at newegg.

although that is a very nice hsf i think you might be better of with a ninja.

the fact you can use a push pull fan config really helps with temps. If you mount a quiet fan on the ninja and use either a loon or a tri cool in back for exhaust you will have one cool chip

i had that set up and it was great, i'm moving to water now...but for air thatt's one fine set up

Hi Dtess, which one did you suggest for a fan controller again? I think it was an evercool in another thread. If I was going without I'd go with YateLoons, but I might as well use my fan controller on something that can go higher but still has a nice Db/CFM ratio.

texuspete00 said:
Hi Dtess, which one did you suggest for a fan controller again? I think it was an evercool in another thread. If I was going without I'd go with YateLoons, but I might as well use my fan controller on something that can go higher but still has a nice Db/CFM ratio.

welli did mention some delta's @ 7v and i think they are awesome. I got them with my water cooling kit. I think most people would like them

dtess17 said:
welli did mention some delta's @ 7v and i think they are awesome. I got them with my water cooling kit. I think most people would like them

Can you post the model #'s...

If a system has a 120 mm fan that is noisy, and the thickness of the fan is 38 mm, will the lost of CFM oveheat the system if I just switch to a Nexus 120 mm fan that is 25 mm thick?

the system currently has:

http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-225.html

which has 68.9CFM

and the nexus is 36.8 cfm.

Alternatively, I have a backup plan: Kill the above 38 mm fan, replace w/ the Nexus but add a 2nd front system Nexus fan. Would that make 36.8+36.8 = 73.6 cfm? Or is it not the same as one fan w/ 68.9 cfm?

Hey dtess...

You were right. I recently upgraded to a board with only 2 3-pin fan headers. Of course, I went with the Antec Tricools on Med in place of the Scythe 50CFM'ers. They are louder...no question.

What's worse, I'm caved and bought a 120 watt video card. :eek: I'm thinking about grabbing up a couple more scythes for the P180 or calling it quites and going back to the Stacker...

I have used deltas on a mcube T-balancer but the T-balancer is a PWM fan controller and I get the PWM fan rattle from when the motor turns on and off.... I want a high CFM fan that I can use on a PWM circut without the dumb clicking.

does anyone know a fan that will run quitely from a PWM fan controller

Happy Hopping said:
If a system has a 120 mm fan that is noisy, and the thickness of the fan is 38 mm, will the lost of CFM oveheat the system if I just switch to a Nexus 120 mm fan that is 25 mm thick?

the system currently has:

http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-225.html

which has 68.9CFM

and the nexus is 36.8 cfm.

Alternatively, I have a backup plan: Kill the above 38 mm fan, replace w/ the Nexus but add a 2nd front system Nexus fan. Would that make 36.8+36.8 = 73.6 cfm? Or is it not the same as one fan w/ 68.9 cfm?

nexus makes a good fan, but the yate loon is cheaper, and pushes more cfm.
the 38mm fans are able to push the air at a higher pressure usually, but if you have similar cfms then you should be ok.

since the silent level of the fan is the same, I can't understand why nexus, among others, doesn't go with 38 mm thick fan?

Question. Does anyone know who makes the 120mm fans that Lian-Li uses. I have three in my PC-V1000 and I love them. They move tons of air, and are super quiet. They have a low noise from the air they move.

The Aerocool 120mm I have on the other hand not so quiet. It moves air but man is this thing loud. I have it on my SI-128, so not real sure if it's the fan or the air passing through my SI-128. From the sound of it though it is the fan.

I'd like to get another of these Lian-Li fans and put that on my SI-128.

Happy Hopping said:
since the silent level of the fan is the same, I can't understand why nexus, among others, doesn't go with 38 mm thick fan?

Usually cases are not made with a 38mm fan in mind, rather they design for the 25mm fans. So overall it doesn't make sense for most companies to make a thick fan.

The dba is different on the fans too. If you look at the tri cools, the thick fan seems to be a bit louder as you increase the rpms.

Although they have their uses, overall there isn;'t a great reason to buy the thick fans over the normal, unless your heatsink/rad needs the extra pressure that they provide.

Agreed about the 38's dtess. The 38mm tricool especially has an annoying mechanical sound to it as well.

In other news, the P180 isn't gonna cut it anymore. Whereas previously, I had an undervolted 630 and NO gpu...there now lies a 6400 (itching to be spanked) and the barn burning 19XT. So I've decided it's time to move back to the Stacker 810. I've got 3 of those Scythe fans still and was wondering if you thought those were still the best in their class of quiet...dtess?

Cheers,

Jod :D

Jodiuh said:
Agreed about the 38's dtess. The 38mm tricool especially has an annoying mechanical sound to it as well.

In other news, the P180 isn't gonna cut it anymore. Whereas previously, I had an undervolted 630 and NO gpu...there now lies a 6400 (itching to be spanked) and the barn burning 19XT. So I've decided it's time to move back to the Stacker 810. I've got 3 of those Scythe fans still and was wondering if you thought those were still the best in their class of quiet...dtess?

Cheers,

Jod :D

Well good call on the stacker 810, i bought one a month or so ago and i like it a lot. Although my p180 was nice too, i guess it's rather hard to find the perfect case.

As far as fans go: I am still a very big fan of those scythe fans, overall i've found them to be very quiet, and have not really run into the clicking, or motor noise many other people have talked about. If you already have them, i see no reason not to keep using them.

I've been using the Yate Loon fans a lot as of late, they are very cheap, and are still very quiet. Many of the people i have built systems for in the past few months have commented on how quiet the system is, and i think i've used loons in nearly all of them. The two other fans i've been using besides scythe are the 25mm Antec Tri cool, set to Med or Low and the Silverstone 9 blade fan i have listed in the first page of this thread. I find that fan to be a good choice for a lot of builds too.

I've tried out a few other fans in the months, but i haven't been blown away by much of anything. So i guess i'd stick with what you have already unless you find your temps are not what you would want them to be, then i'd maybe look into other options.

Hope it helps.

Sweet, sweet. I ordered the Black 810 case w/ window, some white lights, 2 more Scythe E's for total of 5, and the Jing Ting Forcetake NB cooler. We're gonna stomp this heat sh1t out once and for all!!

I wish I still had a Silverstone FN121 to compare with the Scythe tho. I had an 810 w/ 4 of those and remember it being fairly quiet. Tho I'd have to say the P180 with 3 Tricools on Med seems quieter...and the Scythe's were even quieter than that. No motor noise here either. I only hope it's enough airflow compared to my old 9 blade SS's.

I'll post a pic when I get all the goodies in...

Jodiuh said:
Sweet, sweet. I ordered the Black 810 case w/ window, some white lights, 2 more Scythe E's for total of 5, and the Jing Ting Forcetake NB cooler. We're gonna stomp this heat sh1t out once and for all!!

I wish I still had a Silverstone FN121 to compare with the Scythe tho. I had an 810 w/ 4 of those and remember it being fairly quiet. Tho I'd have to say the P180 with 3 Tricools on Med seems quieter...and the Scythe's were even quieter than that. No motor noise here either. I only hope it's enough airflow compared to my old 9 blade SS's.

I'll post a pic when I get all the goodies in...

Sounds good man, should be a well cooled system. I look forward to seeing it.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Not much louder than the P180 w/ Tricools on Med. The big difference's in the HDD cage. Damnit, why didn't Coolermaster use grommets? Anyway, the fans...

I believe they blow the same if not more air than the Silverstone's and are quieter overall. Mine only whine would be having to use the 3 to 4 pin adapters and spend an hour organzing the resulting mess. Still, my HDD's are much happier living life @ 25C as opposed to 35C in the P180. :eek:

Edit: The funny little board, lol!

Quiet is definately relative. Three TriCool's on Med certainly was not as loud as my old Socket A 80mm's plus a Vocano 9, but much louder than my system is now with 3 Yate Loon's, a Nexus 120 and a Scythe 120(the one that comes with the Ninja).

Now I think I understand why I seem to have higher temps than most, my case proabably doesn't push as much air as some folks PC's.

I really tried to compromise OC with quiet and I am really pleased with the result. You barely notice my system while on. I experimented with a couple configurations, and I still may test throwing a TriCool on med back in the case. I am starting to believe that a constant pleasant sounding fan is better than near silence interupted by a video card fan going up and down and disk drive noise.

Right now in my p180 set up I have Yate Loon's replacing the bottom TriCool, and the rear TriCool and on the Scythe Ninja since it has the highest CFM of all the fans. The Scythe fan that came with the Ninja replaced the blowhole TriCool because it was the only one that would fit there, but it turned out well since that is where a lot noise can come from and I Scythe whines a little on max RPM's so I undervolt it to keep it quiet. Lastly, I put a Nexus 120 in front optional fan placement for intake.

I just went ahead and maxed all the fans besides the Scythe and my system temp is a steady 31c. But my OC'd X2 runs about 39c idle. So my case temp is nice, but my CPU runs a little hot.

I thought 3 Tricools on Low were silent on the P180. They could be heard, but not if I was computing away. Now that I've moved the rig into the bigger bedroom, the AC drowns out even the Zalman 9500 on high...sad, I know. So quiet computing's pretty much not gonna happen unless I install my own AC in this wretched Apt.... :mad: :mad:

Tae said:
Quiet is definately relative. Three TriCool's on Med certainly was not as loud as my old Socket A 80mm's plus a Vocano 9, but much louder than my system is now with 3 Yate Loon's, a Nexus 120 and a Scythe 120(the one that comes with the Ninja).

Now I think I understand why I seem to have higher temps than most, my case proabably doesn't push as much air as some folks PC's.

I really tried to compromise OC with quiet and I am really pleased with the result. You barely notice my system while on. I experimented with a couple configurations, and I still may test throwing a TriCool on med back in the case. I am starting to believe that a constant pleasant sounding fan is better than near silence interupted by a video card fan going up and down and disk drive noise.

Right now in my p180 set up I have Yate Loon's replacing the bottom TriCool, and the rear TriCool and on the Scythe Ninja since it has the highest CFM of all the fans. The Scythe fan that came with the Ninja replaced the blowhole TriCool because it was the only one that would fit there, but it turned out well since that is where a lot noise can come from and I Scythe whines a little on max RPM's so I undervolt it to keep it quiet. Lastly, I put a Nexus 120 in front optional fan placement for intake.

I just went ahead and maxed all the fans besides the Scythe and my system temp is a steady 31c. But my OC'd X2 runs about 39c idle. So my case temp is nice, but my CPU runs a little hot.

You have really hit the nail on the head. It's great to have a nice quiet computer, but when a video cards fan spins up it really stands out. I feel it's better to have a dull hum at all times then have this uber quiet rig, and hear that annoying buzz from a videocard fan.

Tae said:

Do the Scythes push more CFM than the Antecs?

dtess17 said:
You have really hit the nail on the head. It's great to have a nice quiet computer, but when a video cards fan spins up it really stands out. I feel it's better to have a dull hum at all times then have this uber quiet rig, and hear that annoying buzz from a videocard fan.

Exactly, that is why I may return the TriCool back to the bottom and set it to medium as Antec recommends. Doesn't add much noise and draws more air into the case.

Three Tricool's on Low was really quiet, but my temps were slightly higher than with the current config. I really needed to have the rear TriCool on medium too and that added substancial sound. Not bad sound though. I just ordered all these new fans based on many people recommendations and wanted to use them...LOL. I think the TriCool's that come with the P180 are excellent fans although way too noisy on high.

Back