Good 120mm Fans.

4DoorGTZ said:
Has anyone got any opinions on 140mm fans? I figure people looking for quiet 120mm's have at least looked into 140mm's wich seem to run quieter and almost as much cfm. Or have you got any others to look up besides....

AeroCool Streemliner
Evercool Ever Green

the evercool looks alright...to be honest, i don't have a case that would fit one, so i've never even looked into them. I guess120mm seems to be my area of knowledge

4DoorGTZ said:
Has anyone got any opinions on 140mm fans? I figure people looking for quiet 120mm's have at least looked into 140mm's wich seem to run quieter and almost as much cfm. Or have you got any others to look up besides....

AeroCool Streemliner
Evercool Ever Green
I'd give the AeroCools a try if they weren't LED. The Evergreen looks awful.

qdemn7 said:
I'd give the AeroCools a try if they weren't LED. The Evergreen looks awful.

yeah it is kinda ugly...but nexus was a weird orange color too...i guess performance matters most.

dtess17 said:
yeah it is kinda ugly...but nexus was a weird orange color too...i guess performance matters most.
I held off buying Nexus until they came out with the B&W ones. That's what I'm using now.

qdemn7 said:
I held off buying Nexus until they came out with the B&W ones. That's what I'm using now.

ah i almost forgot they came out with those...good fans.

Many people here in these forums hate SilenX. They are too damned expensive and most people think their db rating is bunk. With that said, I have 3 120mm 64cfm 11db fans in my case at full speed continuously, 1 case and 2 in push/pull config for my watercooling setup.

The only sound that comes from my case are from my rather grunty 74gb Raptor HDD's. My temps are kept at a nice 36 deg and below even with no AC, and I'm in So Florida.

SilenX are they best noise to performance fans on the market IMO.

Honorable mentions: YateLoons for quiet performance, Sunon for high performance.

4DoorGTZ said:

AeroCool Streemliner
Evercool Ever Green

One said 16 dB, and the other is 19.6 dB, does that mean 140 mm fan are usually more quiet than 120 mm fan, because the blade is bigger, so they don't need to rotate as much?

Something else, on that same page, the Aerocool Silver Lightning Silent White 140mm LED Fan - Sleeved is over 30 dB, but this fan and the other 3 appears to be the same fan. So I don't understand why the big difference in dB

Dark Prodigy said:
Many people here in these forums hate SilenX. They are too damned expensive and most people think their db rating is bunk. With that said, I have 3 120mm 64cfm 11db fans in my case at full speed continuously, 1 case and 2 in push/pull config for my watercooling setup.

The only sound that comes from my case are from my rather grunty 74gb Raptor HDD's. My temps are kept at a nice 36 deg and below even with no AC, and I'm in So Florida.

SilenX are they best noise to performance fans on the market IMO.

Honorable mentions: YateLoons for quiet performance, Sunon for high performance.

well many many times the DB rating has been shown to be not even close. They are very very pricey, and they tend to develop alot of chatter.

if you like am and haven't had any issues other than the high price, i am happy for you. I just just take issue to them and thermaltake and their bullshit numbers

Happy Hopping said:
One said 16 dB, and the other is 19.6 dB, does that mean 140 mm fan are usually more quiet than 120 mm fan, because the blade is bigger, so they don't need to rotate as much?

Something else, on that same page, the Aerocool Silver Lightning Silent White 140mm LED Fan - Sleeved is over 30 dB, but this fan and the other 3 appears to be the same fan. So I don't understand why the big difference in dB

as a very general rule...larger fans can spin at a slower rpm, producing the same cfm at less noise.

dtess17 said:
i'll be looking forward to seein them.

Well, its finished. Some good - Some bad news

The Kama bays wont sit flush with the front of the case. Had to recess them and use the normal bay covers.Running wires in this case isn't exactly fun. I'm short a flat IDE and floppy cable so I had to use a rounded cable temporarily. I'll get pics up when I get home.

that sucks about the kama bays...i was looking into that idea.
i guess you can buy the mounting brackets for HD's and 120mm fans though.

Cables are still a little messy. Ran out of zipties. When I get the chance I'll pick up two flat ide cables, a floppy cable, shorten that gpu fan lead, and sharpie the firewire cable black. Maybe grab a pic of the front fans too.

looks like you changed out stock fans...cool
can you get some shots of the kama bays?

i just bought mine yesterday. Looking forward to getting into it.

I'll grab a pic of the bays tomorrow. I cut the rear grill and replaced it with a 800 rpm s-flex.
Left the side panel fans. They aren't that noisy and are on a switch. (The red one)

i'd love to try and fit dual 120's in the rear. I don't think there is enough room though.

I'm also thinking that i'll need to do something for the top area near the gpu and such, looks like heat could build up there.

You would need another inch of space on the case itself. Thats a lot of sanding. :p Could get away with 92mm's though.

92mm fans are an option.

i could also maybe try and fit a 140. I'm not sure how that would work out.

i think i will end up watercooling this case, so i could just end up using the back exhuast for my radbox. Rather than cram everything up front. although there does seem to be enough room.

I'm in europe, we get overexpensive video cards, mem, mobos and cpus but at least we have decent fans at hand :rolleyes:

lol, fine by me, but 1 video card must be worth a whole lot of NB fans :p

how much more cfms do you think I can get from this NB-XL2 fan with a speed controller?

Templar_X said:
lol, fine by me, but 1 video card must be worth a whole lot of NB fans :p

how much more cfms do you think I can get from this NB-XL2 fan with a speed controller?

the only reason to use a speed controller is to be able to lower the rpms for the louder fans, i doubt any are going to let you push your fan beyond 12v unless you do some modding

well if you are looking for a fan that will push that amount of air at close to 28dba just get a antec tri cool and put it on high

well the specs on that fan don't seem to be too bad, i think it will do ya just fine.

Well i have a new update.
i bought that aerocool masstige case that has been talked about in this thread.

So far i am happy with the case.The 3 80mm fans on the side are very quiet. Although they spin at a very low rpm, their airflow isn't much. But still better than nothing.
The 120mm stock areocool fan is a pretty good fan. I haven't looked up it's specs yet, once i do i'll post them, but it is quiet. The only fan i have on hand to compair it to is a scythe S Flex E fan. It seems to push a good amount less air than the s flex. Sound wise they are pretty similar with the Aerocool having a bit more motor noise. It is very low pitched though, and i think most people would be able to deal with it.
The airflow is ok, but i think you would need at least two of these to cool a mid tower. I think i'll end up replacing it with something else. But overall not a bad fan.

an interesting development, i bought a water cooling kit. Swiftech apex ultra.
i planned on getting rid of the stock fans because they are delta fans and i figured they would be rather loud...which they were. But before i took them out i tried the 12vto 7v adapter that came included in the kit...OMG the fans are so quiet with it on, and they still keep a fair amount of air moving throught the rad, the back pressure is still strong.

although the purpose of this thread was fans at 12v i thought i would mention this for people watercooling...a delta undervolted is not to shabby at all.

I just bought the swiftech premium and thought the same....
it is the same fan correct? At full 12v it is louder than the SFLEXthat pushes the most air. However at the same dba (using my own ears) that is tolerable to me the Delta im assuming pushes MORE air. Could it be that is becasue of the rounded blades?

I don't like Sflex' at all.

Well I just replaced my 2 Nexus B&W fans with 2 Yate Loons, and couldn't be happier. The Nexus were super quiet, but just didn't move enough air. The YLs, move much more air and I can barely tell the difference. When you can get then for less than $4 a piece in quantity I don't see any reason to buy anything else.

MC FLMJIG said:
I just bought the swiftech premium and thought the same....
it is the same fan correct? At full 12v it is louder than the SFLEXthat pushes the most air. However at the same dba (using my own ears) that is tolerable to me the Delta im assuming pushes MORE air. Could it be that is becasue of the rounded blades?

I don't like Sflex' at all.

I'm pretty sure it is the same fan. at 12v it is way too loud for me. I think it's somewhere in the 35dba range. once i hooked up the connector and dropped it to 7v the noise level was slashed. i'm pretty happy with that. i don't even think i'll need the 5v.

what's nice is the fact it retains back pressure even when lowering the voltage

qdemn7 said:
Well I just replaced my 2 Nexus B&W fans with 2 Yate Loons, and couldn't be happier. The Nexus were super quiet, but just didn't move enough air. The YLs, move much more air and I can barely tell the difference. When you can get then for less than $4 a piece in quantity I don't see any reason to buy anything else.

no doubt that yate loons are great fans...i think they are much quieter than 28dba also.

I have 4 Yate Loons running full speed in my stacker. The ONLY think I can hear is the fan from my power supply. So much for being one of the quietest PSU, my case is even quieter :D

maverick777 said:
I have 4 Yate Loons running full speed in my stacker. The ONLY think I can hear is the fan from my power supply. So much for being one of the quietest PSU, my case is even quieter :D

the only thing i don't like about the loons is the molex connector... i like the three pin better.
otherwise awesome fans.

Back