Gonna go SLI!

ohgod

Gawd
Ok, so I already bought one 8800GT and it's awesome. I bought the BFG OC edition of the card. My question is do I have to buy the exact same card to do SLI or will another regular 8800GT work? I've never done SLI before. Thanks!

doesn't have to be same brand, but i'm pretty sure the other card will downclock to the slower card

So as long as its another 8800GT its ok? Its been pretty hard to find the cards where I live so ill take what I can get.

Yes... when/if you OC both cards clock stay in sync.. you don't have to worry about syncing though, it's automagically done at the driver level.. if you get a factory OC'd card and a normal one, the drivers will still sync the clocks.. note for vista 64 users: I think in vista 64 the only way OC in SLI is with rivatuner 2.06..

REv , whats the deal wioth 2.06? I cannot get it to work in 64. Do I have to disable singature shit on boot up myself becuase the progy does not want to do it even if i say yes and reboot?

I am at work now but i am going to try again tonight. I want to see what my cards can do

Ahh... I don't have vista64 but am relaying this info from reading and such.. I know fellow [H]er officermartinez got it working on his vista64 install.. I just pm'd him to see if he did anything special to get it working.. but I have read things can be hit and miss with vista64 and RT but most of the feedback has been pretty good with ver 2.06. The guy who wrote RT hangs out in the RT section of guru3d also.. "unwinder". He's a little gruff sometimes, but does answer questions..

edit: make sure you are on the primary video card in RT also.. I have run into problems because when I adjust the fans on the cards, I have to do it for each card, which means selecting them individually in RT and setting the fan.. then I leave RT on the 2nd card by accident and when I go to OC then it wants to reboot to detect frequencies and stange stuff... So you have to be on the primary card when you go to OC. (top one in the drop down menu)

it really depends on the game and what resolution you're at.. if the game is SLI compat then the bigger the res the more SLI helps, so when you get beyond 1280x1024 in general thats were SLI starts to help out a lot more.. especially with maximum details set plus AA and AF enabled. here's a list of SLI enabled/optimized games

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_game.html

some newer games will obviously be more challenging.. so you'll still have to play with the settings to find the sweet spot, but the extra power will not go unnoticed for sure.. I do run into games that I can't just set everything to maximum with AA and AF and play smoothly now.. like I have to run The Witcher without AA... but everything else is maxed.. it might look a little gritty sometimes, but that is a gritty world. ;) but I was able to play COD4 with everything maxed out with 4x AA and everything.. I think a lot of it depends on the level of SLI suport in the game because with over 220 shaders at your disposal you have a ton of processing power.. anyways..

Ahh... I don't have vista64 but am relaying this info from reading and such.. I know fellow [H]er officermartinez got it working on his vista64 install.. I just pm'd him to see if he did anything special to get it working.. but I have read things can be hit and miss with vista64 and RT but most of the feedback has been pretty good with ver 2.06. The guy who wrote RT hangs out in the RT section of guru3d also.. "unwinder". He's a little gruff sometimes, but does answer questions..

edit: make sure you are on the primary video card in RT also.. I have run into problems because when I adjust the fans on the cards, I have to do it for each card, which means selecting them individually in RT and setting the fan.. then I leave RT on the 2nd card by accident and when I go to OC then it wants to reboot to detect frequencies and stange stuff... So you have to be on the primary card when you go to OC. (top one in the drop down menu)

thanks............:D

NP!
btw- OM says he had to disable that signature stuff manually.. :)

Gotta love Bestbuy! These things are awesome, and my powersupply had no problems. I am looking forward to Crysis!

I recently bought 2 8800gt's, and was my first time going SLi...

Well, problems pursued, and I ended up going back to my 8800gtx.

So, has anyone heard of issues with 4gb of ram and SLi not liking each other? I narrowed it down to having 4gb of ram and/or have 5 SATA drives hooked up at a time. If I took out 1 stick of ram, or disconnected 1 hard drive, I could actually boot into Vista64.

I was also having issues with hard-locks and restarting randomly while playing Hellgate London. All of this is on:

AMD x2 5000+ B.E. @ 3.2ghz (200x16.0)
4x 1gb Kingston HyperX DDR 800 5-5-5-15-2T
ASUS M2N-32 SLI Deluxe with BIOS Rev. 1201
2x WD 74gb Raptor drives in RAID 0
1x 750gb WD SATA drive
1x 180gb WD SATA drive
1x SATA DVD burner
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer (non-Fatality)
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W PSU

One note for you guys: beware of AFR mode if you need fastest response times (least input lag possible). Try to use SFR mode for fast-paced games, especially online FPS shooters, with Vsync disabled. Makes a huge difference in minimizing your lag.

Back