Gonna format my C drive; what should I backup?

dbthump

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have a checklist before formatting my hard drive? I've never formatted a working system before, just to clean things up.

How do I format anyway? I've seen it done from DOS, but I don't know how to do all that. Any suggestions?

Well, we can't really tell you what to backup....we don't know what apps you use, and what type of data is important to you.

Typically, it's pictures, favorites, software, saved games, mp3s, documents, downloaded software, etc.

If your re-installing 2000 or XP, just delete the partitons and re-create them during the setup process.

Only things I backup are, My Documents, Favorites, and Emails from outlook.

djnes said:
Well, we can't really tell you what to backup....we don't know what apps you use, and what type of data is important to you.

Typically, it's pictures, favorites, software, saved games, mp3s, documents, downloaded software, etc.

If your re-installing 2000 or XP, just delete the partitons and re-create them during the setup process.

Well put. Just throwin' it out there. I keep all of my personal stuff on a 2nd drive. I'm a little wary, but only because I've never done it before.

Bugalaman said:
Only things I backup are, My Documents, Favorites, and Emails from outlook.

That's what I'm thinking. All I really need is internet, graphics card and COD: UO anyway. What else is there?

What about settings, how do you back those up....I hate going through again and getting all my settings back the way they were.

Tiny said:
What about settings, how do you back those up....I hate going through again and getting all my settings back the way they were.

That's when you get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost. It makes the entire re-install and format process take about 5 minutes.

anybody have those belkin nostromo gamepads?

make sure to backup your profiles and configs for all your games, located in C:\program files\belkin

sux when u reinstall and realize you forgot to backup profiles for over a dozen games, lol

djnes said:
That's when you get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost. It makes the entire re-install and format process take about 5 minutes.

I've got Norton Ghost, but have never used it. Doesn't Ghost do the same as a restore point, restoring the bad as well?

Back