Gone from the scene scene for a decade... what are must haves/tweaks on Windows 10?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

Windows XP days it was recommended to disable various services, registry tweaks, CCleaner and other bits and bobs to do on every system to get the most out of it. Are there any programs or procedures you do on every one of your Windows 10 machines?

Anything major things an old dog might not notice or know about the new system right away worth pointing out?

p.s any tips specifically for gaming too would be welcome. For example I heard MSI Afterburner is a very useful program to cap frame rates and look at response times.

Last edited by a moderator:
going from XP to 10 is a long time in the shade? but welcome back to the future ;-)

what are you planning on doing with your system? what are you thinking of installing and disabling?

if you provide some more info it will be easier to help

H

It'll just be web browsing and occassional gaming, nothing too specific or serious. Just trying to make sure I don't miss on anything that should be typically done to a modern system that could boost performance or reliability and the like!

Hi,

In my opinion, there are a lot more security that has been turned on compared to XP/7 where you had to turn things on - if you are installing the lastest version 20H2 i think it is, from October 2020, it pretty much runs smoothly without having to do too much. I run with a minimum amount of addon applications like CCleaner I try not to install random stuff.

from a performance point of view, depending on your system configuration. You can move the page-file if needed to a different disk, if you have multiple hard disks. Setup your power-management, seems to add a few extra hz depending on your CPU e.g. if you have a AMD Ryzen CPU adding some of the AMD utilities will help manage this and frequency.
I think if you define your system setup, others may add to this in a more specific way.

i use my system for graphics creation and editing, so i keep it lean and only what I need.

good luck

H

Win 10 is already fine as is....beyond start menu replacments and privacy tools

Update your drivers, don't run unnecessary applications at boot, don't waste time with apps to block "telemtry", and use the computer. That's all there is.

After primetime talked about privacy apps, it led me to a rabbit hole and I found a customized version of Windows 10 completely devoid of any privacy and telemetry at a core level: https://ameliorated.info/

It's even worse an idea to install a Windows modified by an unknown party than let Microsoft spy on you.
You're free to create your own using the open source scripts and instructions provided on the site, if you do not trust the ISO yourself.

You're free to create your own using the open source scripts and instructions provided on the site, if you do not trust the ISO yourself.
I use Windows only for the use it's best suited for, gaming. I don't care if Bill finds out how many I pwn on the tank battles :D

I use Windows only for the use it's best suited for, gaming. I don't care if Bill finds out how many I pwn on the tank battles :D
Great, so not sure why you bothered to comment on a topic you don't care about and have no interest in. Have a nice day.

Back