GoldenEye: Source 5.0 Official Release Trailer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
For England, James? GoldenEye 007 multiplayer was remade with Valve’s Source engine, and here is the latest update, with 25 maps, new 3D character models, 10 game types, and all 28 of the original weapons. It’s free, so why not give it a shot if you haven't already.

Been playing this since friday night its great.

I was playing version 4.2 a couple years back and forgot about it. This new version is so much better and I like the changes they made to the maps for multiplayer.

The only thing missing is being able to carry dual weapons like on the N64 version but that is a limitation of the source engine so nothing they could do about it.

Worth the download folks!!

This is what GoldenEye should have been from the start! :p

Some of my friends brought an N64 up to college my freshman year and tried to get me to play the original, but I never enjoyed it. In fact because I was already a dyed in the wool PC guy, I found it completely unplayable, because of the low resolution, split screen and above all, having to use the damned controllers instead of a mouse and keyboard.

I just can not use controllers for FPS games. I consider them completely unusable for this task. For platform scrollers, fine, but for anything else, its impossible.

I wish a Goldeneye mod like this had existed based on the Half Life goldsource engine back in 1999.

As much as Goldeneye deserves every accolade for essentially inventing a LOT of modern aspects of Console and even PC FPS, its 'sequel' Perfect Dark is objectively better in every single regard.

I've been playing this off and on since... around 2008. Glad to see a 5.0 release. Great game. It's a ton of fun on weekends with many other players and semi full servers.

I've been playing this off and on since... around 2008. Glad to see a 5.0 release. Great game. It's a ton of fun on weekends with many other players and semi full servers.

Yep glad to see the community for this game still going strong.

its 'sequel' Perfect Dark is objectively better in every single regard.

Except one regard... the atmosphere! James Bond's world to space aged crap = lost me totally. now i may have got busy around the time PD came out and that may have had a little to do with why i wasn't able to give it the attention i did to G.E. but then again.. maybe it just wasn't Bond.. and i gave less fucks because of that.

Kind of like how C.O.D. went from a more "normal" vibe to a space setting. It really turned me off. I'm so over the space setting in games.

Looks better than No Mans Sky and is 100% cheaper. This really looks like CS:Goldeneye so I will go grab it. Fun will happen or else.

Just a warning - on off hours especially off Europe hours the servers used to be empty.

And in the US there were only a few active servers on the weekends. This was about... 2 months ago.

So I hope this revived it some.

This is what GoldenEye should have been from the start! :p

Some of my friends brought an N64 up to college my freshman year and tried to get me to play the original, but I never enjoyed it. In fact because I was already a dyed in the wool PC guy, I found it completely unplayable, because of the low resolution, split screen and above all, having to use the damned controllers instead of a mouse and keyboard.

I just can not use controllers for FPS games. I consider them completely unusable for this task. For platform scrollers, fine, but for anything else, its impossible.

I wish a Goldeneye mod like this had existed based on the Half Life goldsource engine back in 1999.

Sounds like you got schooled with someone else who was using the same input method as you. So you got pissed and packed up your toys and left.

Most people who complain about controllers are just getting owned and making excuses.

You missed out on tons of fun.

Sounds like you got schooled with someone else who was using the same input method as you. So you got pissed and packed up your toys and left.

Most people who complain about controllers are just getting owned and making excuses.

You missed out on tons of fun.

It's been like 17 years, so I can't really remember, but I don't recall getting schooled. I just recall being REALLY frustrated with the controls and the low res corner of a screen I had where I found it difficult to see what was going on.

It's OK though. We were one of the first dorms at Umass to get wired for Ethernet, so shortly after that I got the entire floor into Quake 2, and we had some good fun, without the need for some stupid controller.

KB+Mouse is an objectively far superior control method for FPS style games when compared to a controller, to the point where its incredibly frustrating to use the controller once you have become used to KB+M. It would be funny to see a cross platform multiplayer FPS on both console and PC. Without auto-aim, even the best players on the console with their controllers would get destroyed by the worst players with keyboards and Mice on their PC's, which is why - I suspect - we haven't seen this match-up.

If any company were to do this, they'd ruin the gaming experience in multiplayer on the consoles, as it would be no fun being demolished by PC users all the time.

It's been like 17 years, so I can't really remember, but I don't recall getting schooled. I just recall being REALLY frustrated with the controls and the low res corner of a screen I had where I found it difficult to see what was going on.

It's OK though. We were one of the first dorms at Umass to get wired for Ethernet, so shortly after that I got the entire floor into Quake 2, and we had some good fun, without the need for some stupid controller.

KB+Mouse is an objectively far superior control method for FPS style games when compared to a controller, to the point where its incredibly frustrating to use the controller once you have become used to KB+M. It would be funny to see a cross platform multiplayer FPS on both console and PC. Without auto-aim, even the best players on the console with their controllers would get destroyed by the worst players with keyboards and Mice on their PC's, which is why - I suspect - we haven't seen this match-up.

If any company were to do this, they'd ruin the gaming experience in multiplayer on the consoles, as it would be no fun being demolished by PC users all the time.

Point and click is much easier to use than thumbstick aiming (in fact it take less skill to use a KB/M). That's not the question.

When all points are equal and someone complains about the "crappy controller or res" it is usually the guy getting owned.

I miss Quake 2.

I miss Quake 2.

I feel like it was good for the time, but I also feel I have outgrown twitchy deathmatch type games. For my multiplayer games, I prefer more realistic large team strategic FPS:es these days.

CS:S, various HL2 mods, and I think L4D all had two weapons.
IIRC, in CS:S the only dual weapon was the pair of pistols. I think in Source engine that's treated as 1 weapon; it only has one ammo counter and the pistols alternate shots. It drops and is picked up as one weapon, not two. N64 GoldenEye could arbitrarily mix your weapons so you have a RPG in one hand and a pistol in the other, along with other equally silly combos. They had separate magazines. I don't remember if they had independent triggers.

I can't speak as to any other mods for Source engine. I don't know how L4D handles doubling up the standard pistol, but I think each trigger pull alternated which pistol fired and they reloaded at the same time, same as CS:S dual pistols.

I could be horribly wrong about it all though.

Point and click is much easier to use than thumbstick aiming (in fact it take less skill to use a KB/M). That's not the question.

When all points are equal and someone complains about the "crappy controller or res" it is usually the guy getting owned.

I miss Quake 2.
I would argue KB/M takes more skill, as many console shooters have some built-in aim correction to make up for the lack of precision and general turning speed slowness.

Why Bond only have 1 hand? LOL

It does look kind of interesting, in a "made in 2000" kind of way.

Watching the video made me want to play Urban Terror. I miss that.

You mean made in 2004 kinda way this is the source engine :)

I know it's the source engine but it looks more like Half Life 1 to me than Half Life 2. Just from the movie I watched though. Some source engine games can look pretty good... based on the video this looks worse than L4D.

I know it's the source engine but it looks more like Half Life 1 to me than Half Life 2. Just from the movie I watched though. Some source engine games can look pretty good... based on the video this looks worse than L4D.
It uses the 2007 SDK

Guys, this is a great re-make. Gfx and audio have been upgraded but game play is daggon close. The map recreation is excellent

trust me download the game and try it.

It's awesome. Love the maps, love the music. Oozing N64 nostalgia. OH and the best part is since you are using a mouse you can ACTUALLY shoot that motherfucker Oddjob. I remember basement gaming with my friends and we would always give eachother so much crap for playing Oddjob becaus ehe was so cheap

It's awesome. Love the maps, love the music. Oozing N64 nostalgia. OH and the best part is since you are using a mouse you can ACTUALLY shoot that motherfucker Oddjob. I remember basement gaming with my friends and we would always give eachother so much crap for playing Oddjob becaus ehe was so cheap
I agree with you. Kind of wish for a static crosshair though, but I can get past that

I agree with you. Kind of wish for a static crosshair though, but I can get past that
Yeah but I can appreciate them trying to stay as true to the original as possible. That being said, I almost ALWAYS right click and pull up the crosshair when aiming at anything further than 5 feet away.

I would argue KB/M takes more skill, as many console shooters have some built-in aim correction to make up for the lack of precision and general turning speed slowness.

But the "built in aim correction' really doesnt help the player at all. it gets in the way and causes me more deaths then it helps get me. i REALLY fucking hate it in COD. And seriously do not know why it is a forced feature that the user can't turn off. In the MP it often causes me "foot syndrome" where my crosshairs will stay a "foot" off of my intended target because of stupid "auto aim" bs!! infuriating. Do. Not. Want.

KB/M... i used to be a heavy kb/m users from doom/quake/quake2/quake3/UT/BF2 days. And was a heavy user of GoldenEye on the 64. And it took me a LONG time to really... REALLY "perfect" using a controller for FPS. Now i think it took this time not because i was slow at picking it up or anything, im' quite the opposite to that. But due to my experience playing with m/kb and "perfecting" it, having to go "backwards" to a control method that seems to hold the user back compared to what the m/kb used to.. it just takes a lot longer ot really figure out the flaws of that style of input method because its not real "natural". but even to this day i can feel it holding me back. I want to be able to do more.... i know i can.. but the control method just does not allow me to. Its always frustrated me after coming from Quake 2 and being so in sync with making my character do what i wanted it to.. it wasn't a limitation.

i love dthe challenge of SP 007. It was very difficult to finish back in the day. And i'm not talking just finish... i mean on 00 Agent! (if my memory serves... thats what "Veteran" was in the GE world back then!). Took a lot of effort. But i payed the MP as well. Gave it a hammering. Games need a both modes to be of quality should they be the type of game that supports those game types of course.

I recall this when it first came out and seemed it was going to die, glad it keeps coming alive, hopefully it gets a big enough following to keep going

as for Keyboard mouse vs controller - browse the internet with a controller......

your single hand controlling the entire device is more accurate.

Back