Goldeneye remake coming to Wii and DS

I still don't get WHY......

A: why do people still care that much about a game that came out in 1997
B: why do players today care that it is coming out again with semi better graphics.

because GE was a great game. To date, it's probably the best (or most fun) console, split screen multiplayer FPS game ever created.

People care for the same reason why so many people are waiting for Black Mesa Source to release... HL was a great game.

If they are changing the whole story give it another name....They are hoping that the name golden-eye slapped on a box is going to = $$$$$ and it will work because people are stupid.

If they're totally changing the story, I agree. However, it sounds like they're changing it so it makes sense in the bond universe with craigs charactor... probably adding some more depth to it as well.

I guess we'll see once reviewers get thier hands on a copy. I don't think the developers, that probably grew up on the N64, would want to screw this up.

Why do you say that? The story was the last thing that made goldeneye the great game that it was.

As long as they stay faithful to the gameplay that the original had (and it sounds like they are), I'm sure it will be a huge success for them.

No, it won't. You can't base a multiplayer game off of splitscreen anymore. Things have advanced and people expect more.

No, it won't. You can't base a multiplayer game off of splitscreen anymore. Things have advanced and people expect more.

Why not? Most of (if not all) the wiis games are made to be played on the same console and in the same room. It's not an online gaming console like the 360 or PS3. I'm sure the game will support online play, but (at least in my case) this will be seeing more use in my living room with 6 friends and some beers (that's IF they don't screw it up)

like I said, as long as they capture the spirit of the original and it's fun, I'm sure it will sell and play great.

Why not? Most of (if not all) the wiis games are made to be played on the same console and in the same room. It's not an online gaming console like the 360 or PS3.

Which is exactly why 007 will be nothing more than a novelty you play a couple times and then let collect dust. The game simply isn't a party game that are fun to play with groups on the Wii. It's a pretty hardcore, competitive shooter that will not lend itself well to just picking up and playing by everyone. Even other hardcore games on the Wii like NSMB implemented features like the bubble to make it more party friendly so inexperienced players won't get frustrated.

Which is exactly why 007 will be nothing more than a novelty you play a couple times and then let collect dust. The game simply isn't a party game that are fun to play with groups on the Wii. It's a pretty hardcore, competitive shooter that will not lend itself well to just picking up and playing by everyone. Even other hardcore games on the Wii like NSMB implemented features like the bubble to make it more party friendly so inexperienced players won't get frustrated.

The original certainly lent itself well to being picked up and played by everyone, at least more so than any other FPS of that era. Goldeneye was never really a "hardcore" shooter. Personally I could see a remake being a lot of fun with a group of friends. I would prefer just a straight port with updated visuals though.

It sounds like your forgetting Goldeneye has a handicap feature. If you set your health to 5%, and set the noob's health to 1000%, trust me it will level the playing field. Not to mention you can play 2 vs. 2 games and when you have 1 pro and 1 noob on the same team it balances things out a bit.

Goldeneye did well because it was a fun game. Multiplayer was a blast; In 1997 it was probably the most fun 4 people could have on a couch with their clothes on.

I didn't say it wasn't fun, but it was funner to just do a lan party. Then we didn't have the whole "stop looking at my screen, you cheater" problems.

I didn't say it wasn't fun, but it was funner to just do a lan party. Then we didn't have the whole "stop looking at my screen, you cheater" problems.

in 1997, what LANable game was as fun as Goldeneye though? It raised the bar for FPS games at the time. Also, your comparing PC shooters to console shooters, which isn't a very fair comparison.

Freaken Sweet! I have many many great memories of playing Goldeneye when I was a kid.

Between me and my friends back in those days we just incorporated that into how we played. If one of us caught the other staring at our screen it was an automatic slug in the arm. There was also a lot of knocking controllers out of the others hand and then tossing grenades down corridors.

It's precisely that kind of interaction that made gaming like this so enjoyable. Now that I'm grown up I look forward to getting some guys together, having some beers, and beating the shit out of each other over Goldeneye on the Wii.

Well with all due respect to everyones opinion it will be able to be played online and I doubt they will make you have to use the motion controller for multiplayer. This is a Wii game, it's not CoD, Gears, Killzone, etc. There honestly is not much to complain about other than maybe Craig playing the lead role which probably is not Nintendo's fault.

I might buy it just because if I had to take a guess as to which game was my all time favorite back in the 90's it was probably Goldeneye.

Freaken Sweet! I have many many great memories of playing Goldeneye when I was a kid.

Me too! Honestly though it's already been announced that the game is being remade, not ported or emulated so it's not going to be the same game you remembered it as. IMHO, Perfect Dark improved upon the Goldeneye formula in every way, and you can already obtain an enhanced port of it on the 360. Probably a better option for most people because nobody can make these games like Rareware can. (See Goldeneye: Rouge Agent and The World is Not Enough games)

Back