GoldenEye 007 Meets Unreal Engine 4

And yet everyone is miserable.

Bingo. These people getting on their "all consoles have always been shit" circlejerk. Taking PCMR to fanboy extents.

When's the last time all you nostalgics had a LAN party at your house? Yeah, you can shut up now.

Bingo. These people getting on their "all consoles have always been shit" circlejerk. Taking PCMR to fanboy extents.

When's the last time all you nostalgics had a LAN party at your house? Yeah, you can shut up now.

How can we answer your question if we all shut up? Or are you just trolling?

Nope you are wrong. They are both legitimate questions.

I am wrong that my rhetorical question was a rhetorical question? Well would you tell me what I meant to say, then, since you assert that I was wrong in asserting that I know what I meant?

I am wrong that my rhetorical question was a rhetorical question? Well would you tell me what I meant to say, then, since you assert that I was wrong in asserting that I know what I meant?

To answer both of your questions, no and no.

2256672-this_thread_just_went_full_retard.jpg

Never saw the appeal of this game but then again, when it came out, I was playing Quake 2 in 1024x768 resolution with an OpenGL voodoo2 card.

I was playing Quake 2 as well. But a good game is a good game.. and if you didnt play GE007, you missed out. It was some good shit.

PS. I started playing software OpenGL @ 640x480 offline. THen i discovered the internet and managed to upgrade a few months later to a VooDoo2. Oh man did that make my raping go from "join my clan" to "stop cheating"!! :p

I was playing Quake 2 as well. But a good game is a good game.. and if you didnt play GE007, you missed out. It was some good shit.

PS. I started playing software OpenGL @ 640x480 offline. THen i discovered the internet and managed to upgrade a few months later to a VooDoo2. Oh man did that make my raping go from "join my clan" to "stop cheating"!! :p

I think I've just never been a fan of using a controller for an FPS.

As far as your voodoo 2 comment: =D

Anyone who has nostalgia for Goldeneye 007 has never played Perfect Dark.

PD was literally better than G007 in every single regard. Not a single aspect of that game was inferior. It had near PS2-level visuals on the N64 and featured full reload animations, full voice acting, cooperative campaign, fully animated cutscenes, huge open levels, a wide variety of weapons... the list goes on.

Goldeneye 007 was great for its time, but it was made completely inferior by its spiritual sequel.

Perfect Dark HD is on the Rare Replay, it's fucking amazing! It's literally how my childhood invisioned it with great graphics.

Since we arn't looking at the right games, then what games should we be looking at? I only know of the games I am told about.

Actually, the right game is the game that you like playing. People will have differing opinions on what those are of course, but then that's why people go to forums in the first place. To weigh their opinions and maybe occasionally pick up some information about something.

I didn't play it, and yes, I probably did miss out. However, I've always played this type of game on the PC, and then filled in the genre gaps (aka Nintendo first party games and the like) with a console. There has to be a reason people enjoyed it so much, and why people remember it so fondly. It's just not a blip on my personal radar. Also, having missed it then, I doubt I could pick it up now and feel the same way as those that love it so much. There are quite a few games I liked from that era, that had I not played them and enjoyed them THEN, I probably couldn't pick them up now. For example, there are TONS of people (I know several) who just refuse to pick up System Shock because it's a DOS game, which until very recently had an awkward control scheme. I personally can't imagine a world in which I hadn't played it. I still play it to this day. I try to get people to play it all the time, and many of them say ok to humor me, but then don't actually play it. Or some just plain say no, it's too dated. HUGE mistake in my view, but what is one to do? I guess I could strap them down, staple their eyes open, and make them watch me play it. :D They'd surely be fans after that :p

Anyone who has nostalgia for Goldeneye 007 has never played Perfect Dark.

PD was literally better than G007 in every single regard. Not a single aspect of that game was inferior. It had near PS2-level visuals on the N64 and featured full reload animations, full voice acting, cooperative campaign, fully animated cutscenes, huge open levels, a wide variety of weapons... the list goes on.

Goldeneye 007 was great for its time, but it was made completely inferior by its spiritual sequel.

Well... played both extensively. Loved both immensely. Although being able to play slappers only or proxy mines only with dark bots was definitely like 80% of my childhood.

GE007 was all about the multiplayer. Heck I dont know if I ever even played the single player.
It was the social aspect. It was the unique multiplayer gameplay modes for its time.

There is not even a reason to compare it to PC Games or newer multiplayer shooters IMO. It was the start of an era.

God the PCMR buillshit just get's retarded sometimes. Look guys it was never about 007 being the perfect game, it wasn't. However it was fun in a very different environment than Quake 2. Some of you forget that online was far from perfect then and lan required more equipment and expertise than most people had. At that time I was in a military dorm where we got together and designated my room as the official lan/gaming/party room. The reason was i had no room mate and had the largest DR by far. We had a dedicated token ring lan setup because of me for when we wanted to play things like SC and Quake. However we also had a large TV with a N64 for when we were together having a good time as well because it was super easy. Sure Quake was technically better, but getting together to play a quick game of 007 required nothing more than someone to drop by and hit the power buttons. The memories I have are more about the crazy good time we had, not the game itself.

TLDR: Broadband internet wasn't widely available and Token rings weren't easy for average joe. Saying Quake compares to 007 is an absolutely silly statement.

God the PCMR buillshit just get's retarded sometimes. Look guys it was never about 007 being the perfect game, it wasn't. However it was fun in a very different environment than Quake 2. Some of you forget that online was far from perfect then and lan required more equipment and expertise than most people had. At that time I was in a military dorm where we got together and designated my room as the official lan/gaming/party room. The reason was i had no room mate and had the largest DR by far. We had a dedicated token ring lan setup because of me for when we wanted to play things like SC and Quake. However we also had a large TV with a N64 for when we were together having a good time as well because it was super easy. Sure Quake was technically better, but getting together to play a quick game of 007 required nothing more than someone to drop by and hit the power buttons. The memories I have are more about the crazy good time we had, not the game itself.

TLDR: Broadband internet wasn't widely available and Token rings weren't easy for average joe. Saying Quake compares to 007 is an absolutely silly statement.

It doesn't have to be a direct comparison. My comments about choosing one or the other were based on what my tastes were at the time, and I had plenty of shooters to play on the PC. We also had a LAN in-house for Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, and up (all respective of their time period.) However, that's what people came over to play. I had people in and out of the house constantly hopping on and off of the LAN games. I had an N64, but I played Mario and Zelda games solo. Just how it was with my friends.

If you and your friends liked to play 007, great! No PCMR angle on this from me. Just my own perspective, and history regarding this.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

It doesn't have to be a direct comparison. My comments about choosing one or the other were based on what my tastes were at the time, and I had plenty of shooters to play on the PC. We also had a LAN in-house for Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, and up (all respective of their time period.) However, that's what people came over to play. I had people in and out of the house constantly hopping on and off of the LAN games. I had an N64, but I played Mario and Zelda games solo. Just how it was with my friends.

If you and your friends liked to play 007, great! No PCMR angle on this from me. Just my own perspective, and history regarding this.

But 007 is on pc too. 007 Nightfire anybody? Quake 1 and 2 are also on N64.

This is where I can see the issue. It's an age gap thing. People from my generation grew up with consoles, we were maybe 5-10 when we got our N64s. At that age we didn't have big fancy PCs to game. Even if your parents had a decent setup there was no way you could even convince them to unplug that beast and lug it to a friends house. We all played and shared a console because all you had to bring was your duffle bag full of clothes, memory card and a controller and game until we passed out. It's why anyone 5-10 years younger than me grew up with Gamecube. It's not until recently with the advancement of technology combined with a shit console wave that this generation has received gaming PCs. Being able to build a decent lightweight gaming rig for less than the price of a console and having flatpanel LCDs are things we could only dream of back in the '90s.

This is where I can see the issue. It's an age gap thing. People from my generation grew up with consoles, we were maybe 5-10 when we got our N64s. At that age we didn't have big fancy PCs to game. Even if your parents had a decent setup there was no way you could even convince them to unplug that beast and lug it to a friends house. We all played and shared a console because all you had to bring was your duffle bag full of clothes, memory card and a controller and game until we passed out. It's why anyone 5-10 years younger than me grew up with Gamecube. It's not until recently with the advancement of technology combined with a shit console wave that this generation has received gaming PCs. Being able to build a decent lightweight gaming rig for less than the price of a console and having flatpanel LCDs are things we could only dream of back in the '90s.

I grew up with a C64, Amiga, several scrapped together PCs until I had my own sources of incoming to start building "proper" ones. I only had a few consoles as a kid (I've owned nearly everything at this point though.) Mainly the Bally Astrocade, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Master System, TurboGrafx 16 until later when I retroactively bought all the ones I missed (until emulation came up to speed.)

Most of the time, I would agree, the family PC-proper, didn't really go anywhere. However, we were/are a family of tinkerers, traders, etc. and it reached a point where I had pieced together a few of them. I hauled the 386 DX40 around a bit. By that point, I think my parents' had given up control of the main PC :D I was a force to be reckoned with though as far as all that was concerned. hehehe (Or maybe my dad recognized a good thing in me maintaining it all :D )

Anyway, from the time I moved out, I had between one and four PCs of my own in any place that I lived. All LAN-worthy. I also had consoles, but those were more of a solo or maybe two-player sort of thing. A lot of people enjoyed coming over to party (properly) and then many of us would form what was always considered "Party 2" continue to party, and also LAN-party on top of it. I had a lot of REALLY fun houses/apartments during my 20s :D

I grew up with a C64, Amiga, several scrapped together PCs until I had my own sources of incoming to start building "proper" ones. I only had a few consoles as a kid (I've owned nearly everything at this point though.) Mainly the Bally Astrocade, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Master System, TurboGrafx 16 until later when I retroactively bought all the ones I missed (until emulation came up to speed.)

Most of the time, I would agree, the family PC-proper, didn't really go anywhere. However, we were/are a family of tinkerers, traders, etc. and it reached a point where I had pieced together a few of them. I hauled the 386 DX40 around a bit. By that point, I think my parents' had given up control of the main PC :D I was a force to be reckoned with though as far as all that was concerned. hehehe (Or maybe my dad recognized a good thing in me maintaining it all :D )

Anyway, from the time I moved out, I had between one and four PCs of my own in any place that I lived. All LAN-worthy. I also had consoles, but those were more of a solo or maybe two-player sort of thing. A lot of people enjoyed coming over to party (properly) and then many of us would form what was always considered "Party 2" continue to party, and also LAN-party on top of it. I had a lot of REALLY fun houses/apartments during my 20s :D

Income, not incoming. :D

That's basically me now. I had convinced most of my friends early on when I around 15 to get a gaming PC. By the time I was 18 and had my first job I already had 2 gaming PCs, one which was built from downgraded parts. From there on I moved to having 2 guest PCs and finally 3. I now have an entire room in my house dedicated to gaming which is about 4 PCs + retro station + consoles + my main station. My home is the central hub of my group of friends to hang out and game. Recently I started moving all my gaming PCs into a server rack to really organize the place. I am hoping to move into a bigger place in the next couple of years but the market in Miami has been out of control.

That's basically me now. I had convinced most of my friends early on when I around 15 to get a gaming PC. By the time I was 18 and had my first job I already had 2 gaming PCs, one which was built from downgraded parts. From there on I moved to having 2 guest PCs and finally 3. I now have an entire room in my house dedicated to gaming which is about 4 PCs + retro station + consoles + my main station. My home is the central hub of my group of friends to hang out and game. Recently I started moving all my gaming PCs into a server rack to really organize the place. I am hoping to move into a bigger place in the next couple of years but the market in Miami has been out of control.

Nice!

There was a time that I lived in a rather large house with my brother and two friends. It was the same thing. Hub to all of our friends from all angles. We had almost exactly the room you describe. 5-6 LAN PCs, a MAME/Emulation machine with arcade controls, and media PC for movies and cartoons. Outside that room was a full wet bar, out side that was the dojo. All current gen consoles were attached to the living room TV on the top floor, so separate from all the lower level fun. Then we had a large deck with grill and halogen lights to flood the yard for late night drunken croquet. :D (usually after getting back from clubs/parties/etc.) We'd throw food on the grill, make martinis and play croquet, then go in and have a 6 player Q3A match.

Back