Golden oldie - modern monitor with svideo, component and PIP?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
I’ve been using an old Dell 2405wfp for a capture station... think x58 machine that I use to preview and capture from various SD sources. Often it’s handy to connect directly from the source to the display to look at material or troubleshoot pre-capture. I don’t mind some light gaming, watching movies during a long capture. PIP is handy for keeping an eye on the capture while doing something else. My old Dell ticked all these boxes but is dying. Any suggestions on a semi modern replacement? I’d prefer to avoid an inline converter box since most I’ve used struggle with aspect ratios etc for old content.

Unfortunately none exist, at least that I know of that have been released in the past 5 years, and it's not easy or cheap converting an analog signal to a digital one.

Not sure what size or resolution you're looking for, but you're better off getting a 24-30" LCD TV. Most are 720p, but some models do come in 1080p.

I was looking for a display solution back in the fall time for my retro gaming station, so I can confirm that TVs in this size range still come with all those ports... component, composite, Svideo, sometimes all of those depending on the model, and they're not more than $200. I would go to a big box store to check them out.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Something else to consider is devices that can up-res and upscale analog inputs to modern outputs like HDMI. There are a lot of boxes like this for the purposes of retro gaming.

Have a Samsung 32" 5th gen ( late 2000s) that does all that. U2711 doesn't have svideo but can do rest.. 2011 monitor. You won't get anything new.

Back