golden eye 4 dead

i dont understand the continued love for Goldeneye. I was fine back then, it is just junk now. unless you in the 20-30s age range you wouldn't even know wtf it is.

ROFL! Saw the dinosaur and was like "WTF?!?!?" Looks like a cool custom level. I think I'll give it a try later on today.

i dont understand the continued love for Goldeneye. I was fine back then
I never liked it much either. no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get into console fps... doom/quake spoiled me for life

I'm always glad to see healthy mod community though, so good job :p

GoldenEye was awesome back in the day. It didn't really age well, though, in both graphics and mechanics.

GoldenEye was awesome back in the day. It didn't really age well, though, in both graphics and mechanics.

Actually the graphics aren't that bad, but the controls suck comparatively. It's designed for a joystick/controller setup. If you played it on an N64, probably wouldn't be that difficult to adjust back to a controller from a mouse/keyboard setup but trying to play it with a mouse/keyboard on an emulator is just troublesome. I think I finally got it to play decent on a 360 controller on my PC; but it never really felt right.

i dont understand the continued love for Goldeneye. I was fine back then, it is just junk now. unless you in the 20-30s age range you wouldn't even know wtf it is.

Have to agree. No more Goldeneye. If you want to play it , use a real N64 and do it , use an Emulator or the most recent "enhanced" version they put out on the Arcade.

It was great during its time but let the good memories remain.

Golden eye was a crap game for console noobs that could not play quake and unreal online in 1997 and had to have the game aim for them with crap analog stick controls and the worlds dumbist AI with bad graphics.

The same thing still goes on only it is crap of duty and halo and primitive online play with bad analog stick controls that still aims for you

I have the game and that crap perfect drark I got it from a discount bin bundle in like 2000 and I rented them since the n64 had no games worth anything for like 2 years and I had nothing to play on the thing really I bought it to play nintendo games and most of the ones they made for the n64 sucked. Oh and the saturn I had was not much better and the playstation had crap games too hell most of the games sucked then because nobody fucking knew how to make games in 3d with polygons back then and the ones that did was on the PC. most of the games back then controled and looked like garbage because they had no clue what moving in a 3d space should be like.

Last edited:
You guys never got together with 3 friends after school/work/whatever and played this game split-screen? That was what made it awesome. Plus it stands as one of the only decent movie/game tie-ins in existence.

People talk about "rose-colored nostalgia glasses" but I see a lot of the opposite going on in here.

Golden eye was a crap game for console noobs that could not play quake and unreal online in 1997 and had to have the game aim for them with crap analog stick controls and the worlds dumbist AI with bad graphics.

The same thing still goes on only it is crap of duty and halo and primitive online play with bad analog stick controls that still aims for you

I have the game and that crap perfect drark I got it from a discount bin bundle in like 2000 and I rented them since the n64 had no games worth anything for like 2 years and I had nothing to play on the thing really I bought it to play nintendo games and most of the ones they made for the n64 sucked. Oh and the saturn I had was not much better and the playstation had crap games too hell most of the games sucked then because nobody fucking knew how to make games in 3d with polygons back then and the ones that did was on the PC. most of the games back then controled and looked like garbage because they had no clue what moving in a 3d space should be like.

Can't tell if you're a 14 year old trying to look cool, or just a troll. Reading your post gave me a chuckle either way.

You guys never got together with 3 friends after school/work/whatever and played this game split-screen? That was what made it awesome. Plus it stands as one of the only decent movie/game tie-ins in existence.

People talk about "rose-colored nostalgia glasses" but I see a lot of the opposite going on in here.

This

Proxy wars, anyone?

i most surely did but even then it wasn't so totally badassed that it should live on forever.

You guys never got together with 3 friends after school/work/whatever and played this game split-screen?
That's actually the only time I played the game, with friends... still thought it was meh compared to other games. Oh, I also never had any interest in james bond, so that probably played some part in it.

ITT: Opinions.

I'll have to download these and check them out. Love or hate goldeneye, they look like good maps either way :p

i most surely did but even then it wasn't so totally badassed that it should live on forever.

I agree with you there, about not needing to be revamped forever (though I did think the game was badass back in the day). My point is that some people seem to be claiming that the game was NEVER good and I think history disagrees with that.

PS1 Quake 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GoldenshowerEye :p

Why the fuck would you play Quake 2 on a Playstation? :p

Last edited:
Why the fuck would you play GoldenEye on the PC? :p

Still doesn't change the fact that it was a better game and was better in 4 player mode. :D

Um, I wouldn't. :confused:

Also, they're not really the same type of gameplay other than being an FPS. Kinda hard to compare.

I agree that Quake 2 was a superior shooter but GoldenEye had a lot of other mechanics that made it fun.

Unreal wasn't online in 97. Unreal, first release was single player only, followed by Unreal Tournament 99 which released in 99 and was online. :)

Last edited:
Um, I wouldn't. :confused:

Also, they're not really the same type of gameplay other than being an FPS. Kinda hard to compare.

I agree that Quake 2 was a superior shooter but GoldenEye had a lot of other mechanics that made it fun.

You are in a thread of people talking about playing N64 games on the PC. :p

The only redeeming feature of Pinkeye is the exploding tables.

Quake 2 also looks much, much nicer, even on PS1, and doesn't have the 3 people of 4 who don't buy Nintendo consoles playing "find the button" on those terribird things, making it more pick up and play.

Goldeneye and Quake/Unreal are two VERY different experiences.

Goldeneye had a great single player, the design was great, AI was fun, it actually had location damage/animations (which is something most hsooters, even pc shooters) didn't have.

Multiplayer (for a console) was a huge point and was always a blast playing with a handful of friends locally on your couch.

It just offered a good fps experience on a console with your friends actually being there in the room (and not having to tug over your computer to play lan or something to get that kind of experience on a pc).

You are in a thread of people talking about playing N64 games on the PC. :p

Not really, the thread is about a GoldenEye-inspired campaign for L4D2. If you want to talk about playing N64 games on PC you could look at that GoldenEye Source mod that they came out with awhile back (which, unsurprisingly, was not that impressive IMO).

Back