Gold USB sockets anywhere?

Harlequin

n00b
Does anyone have a source for gold-plated USB sockets anywhere? (either type A or B)

(The usual silver colour isn't a good match for the case mod, gold would be much better)

I've tried GIS, Mouser, and Digikey, but haven't spent the necessary multitude of hours it will take to search them exhaustively. I have not yet tried online case-modding suppliers, as I'm guessing I have better odds finding this at places like Mouser. But I'm hoping someone already knows somewhere that has them... let me know if you do.

Thanks

Ya that really seems like the best way to do it/easiest way out, go to your nearest compusa and find some cheap usb hub like that one with gold usb connectors. Tear that thing open and unsolder them and there you go. You probably wont pay that much more doing it that way.

In theory, the manufacturers of some of those hubs probably got their sockets from a place like Farnell or Mouser or whatever, so they're probably availible at a few bucks a piece, but on the other hand, maybe saving $30 isn't worth the hours of searching. (Allthough, looking at the pin designs, I'm thinking these things are going to be a bitch to get off a circuit board) maybe I'm screwed either way :)

>Why not just mod the case to accept the hub's circuit board?

It's for an external drive, so space is too tight. :(
I guess I could chop up or saw up the circuit board to make it fit, leaving some stubs of PCB to drill holes in to use for bolts to mount it with. It ain't going to be a happy USB hub...

I've got tons of USB cables with gold connectors. They were cheap, pack of 5 cables, USB extensions, USB converters, etc.

I bought it from Costco.

You could go by a zales or jewelry shop to gold plate them yourself and end up saving money not having to hack cables. However my girlfriend works in a zales outlet so I can get my plating done for free.

Back