Going Wireless

Phelptwan

Supreme [H]ardness
First post since the update. Ok here's what i got going currently. Four laptops and 2 desktops all hooked up to a switch that is hooked up to a dsl router. What would be the best things to buy if i wanted to switch it over to a wireless network? It's all inside a house so a router with a 100m radius is just fine...i think.

You will need to purchase wireless interface cards for each client on your network (6 total) and then get a wireless router so that your clients can communicate back to it. It is also possible to purchase a wireless gateway to connect to your existing router so you can leverage a partial wireless and wired network (this will save you money as well hopefully).

I would recommend Linksys wireless products - they have been quite good to me and seem to be decently made (with the Cisco backing these days its only going to get better).
Here are some links to some product descriptions:

Linksys Wireless Network Adaptors

Linksys Wireless Gateways/Routers

With dropping prices, the 802.11G standard provides 54Mbps of bandwidth and you don't have to break the bank to get in on it. Also read up on WEP and other security measures - most wireless users never bother to lock down their networks and let geeks like us get a free ride ;) (last I heard about 80% of Wireless Access Points - WAPs - did not have WEP encryption enabled).

Good luck!

Either replace your wired router with a router/AP combo, or plug an AP into your existing LAN. Wouldn't want a gateway, that's a router, at least that is what the term gateway means traditionally. With obstructions you won't likely get 100m though. Although not completely impossible that is asking a bit much if your router/AP or AP is going to be indoors.

Do i have to worry about any of the certified or the non-certified wireless things? I actually don't know what i just asked but a friend that sets up networks for businesses said there are different certified and uncertified products. Thanks for the speedy reply also.

If you can avoid going wireless on the desktops, great. Wireless is a great solution for mobility or wiring issues, but if you can plug any computer in, do it.

Keep in mind that 54Mbps is all marketing talk. In real life situations you will be lucky to exceed 20Mbps in 802.11g networks. And if you have a single 802.11b nic associated with the AP, then the entire things falls back to 11Mbps (real life 7-8Mbps).

So I would suggest 2 wireless notebook cards for the laptops, existing infrastructure for the desktops, and an 802.11g wireless AP with a built in switch.

As I understand it certified versus non-certified is more of interest to the enterprise market. For instance you have Linksys at about $120 for an AP or Cisco (same company, but high end enterprise equipment) for over $800.

Back