Going to try Asus.. which one?

i wish i had the money to do what your doin lol..but both of those asus mobos look good to me..i would have a hard time pickin it out to becuase i am a fan of Asus..but if i were savin money id go with the cheaper one

Its weird the cheaper one is an X48 chipset vs the X38 that is more expensive. Feel like im missing something. I had a few bad runs of asus products and have avoided them for a while. Thought it might be time to give them a try again.

My x48 rampage formula is rock solid. I'd go with the x48 so long as it has as many SATA ports you need. I didn't look into it to see if there was any difference with SATA. :D

Have you considered this board, it will overclock better and is cheaper. Also has 8 SATA, eSATA, and dual gigabit LAN. Lots of nice features for that price IMO.

If you are crossfiring your best bet is to get an x48. Many people will argue that the P45's limiting to only x8 when using 2 cards won't give you that much of a performance difference... but if you are dorpping money on a new board why not drop the money on the board that will perform the best? Especially if the price difference is only 10-20 bucks.

Better then the X38 or X48 with 16x/16x PCIE?

If you are crossfiring your best bet is to get an x48. Many people will argue that the P45's limiting to only x8 when using 2 cards won't give you that much of a performance difference... but if you are dorpping money on a new board why not drop the money on the board that will perform the best? Especially if the price difference is only 10-20 bucks.

This article shows that X38 is about equal with the P45 in Crossfire, and throughout all games there is only an average 5-6% increase with the X48. That increase is only at lower resolutions as well. Above 1680x1050 there is no noticeable difference. Also I would still go with the other board because its cheaper and you are getting more features. 16 phase power, dual gigabit lan, more SATA, eSATA, and better overclocking. The two boards the OP posted have less features for more $$$.

These are all close in price.. so it comes down to these two. I would think I would be more future proofed with the X38 and dual 16x/16x PCI-E? Although I do like the 16phase power design of that P45 board. Both have good reviews on the egg and I ruled out the X48 becuase of all the negative reveiws. Anymore input?

P5Q Deluxe P45

P5E X38

I'd either go with an X38/X48 or the P5Q Pro if we're limiting ourselves to ASUS boards. I'd take a DFI, Gigabyte, or even a Foxconn over ASUS any day, though.

Well I think you can already rule future proofing out of the idea because your buying the last of the LGA775 boards. All the new boards are going to be designed for LGA 1366 and another socket that is yet to be determined. Also I don't forget that PCI Express x8 2.0 is the same speed as PCI Express x16 1.1 which still is enough for all the current 2.0 cards. I don't think it will make a huge difference until the next gen cards.

These are all close in price.. so it comes down to these two. I would think I would be more future proofed with the X38 and dual 16x/16x PCI-E? Although I do like the 16phase power design of that P45 board. Both have good reviews on the egg and I ruled out the X48 becuase of all the negative reveiws. Anymore input?

P5Q Deluxe P45

P5E X38

I wouldn't listen to any of the reviews on newegg. Half the people on there are nitwits who don't know jack about computers. You can tell by the people who complain when they buy a PCIe card and realize it can't fit into their PCI slot.

I wouldn't listen to any of the reviews on newegg. Half the people on there are nitwits who don't know jack about computers. You can tell by the people who complain when they buy a PCIe card and realize it can't fit into their PCI slot.

Ya reviews on there are not the most useful thing...

Ya I recommended that to him in his last thread but he didn't like it...:confused: I don't know why because it has all the same features as the X38 board he is looking at plus 2 extra SATA will overclock better. Not to mention its $100 cheaper. I LOVE this motherboard though. Just overclocked my E8500 to 3.8GHz on the first try without even a hiccup. :D

Ya I recommended that to him in his last thread but he didn't like it...:confused: I don't know why because it has all the same features as the X38 board he is looking at plus 2 extra SATA will overclock better. Not to mention its $100 cheaper. I LOVE this motherboard though. Just overclocked my E8500 to 3.8GHz on the first try without even a hiccup. :D

That was for a co-worker not my self. I am actually looking for my self now. Problem with DFI is I cant clear thier NB cooler with my TRUE. Please feel free to recommend a different brand board as long as it will clear my TRUE 120.

That was for a co-worker not my self. I am actually looking for my self now. Problem with DFI is I cant clear thier NB cooler with my TRUE. Please feel free to recommend a different brand board as long as it will clear my TRUE 120.

I see, well I still recommend the P5Q series over any X38/X48 unless your just looking for absolute max performance and no longer care about best bang for your buck.

I would go with the rampage formula, definitely your money well spent.

Rampage Formula looks nice but 270$ is a bit pricey. Makes me want to consider just leaving me setup alone and tossing in a 4870x2.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 and couldn't be happier.

I'd get an X48 chipset for sure.:D

The Rampage Formula is a slick looking board, though.

Yeah, I've been trapped around 440 to 450 fsb on my current Asus P5N-E and so I'm really not getting all of the performance out of my Vapochill setup.

Rampage Formula looks nice but 270$ is a bit pricey. Makes me want to consider just leaving me setup alone and tossing in a 4870x2.

You could spend half that with the P5Q Pro after the newegg coupon and you would be more then happy.

After reading that hard review of the Rampage Formula I am very tempted.... I mean hell.. my b-day is like two weeks away... Maybe the grandparents still think I am not to old for b-day money lol.

After reading that hard review of the Rampage Formula I am very tempted.... I mean hell.. my b-day is like two weeks away... Maybe the grandparents still think I am not to old for b-day money lol.

I don't really see the point of buying an uber-high-end 775 motherboard at this point. If you're going to spend that much money, wait a month or two and get a X58 board with Nehalem. :D I wouldn't sink more than $140 into an almost-defunct socket at this point, IMHO, and in that range there are still plenty of stellar overclockers (aka the P5Q series if you insist on ASUS, though pretty much any board with a P45 chipset from a reputable manufacturer will work).

Back