Going to dable in Water Cooling -- New Case & H20-320

mikecLA

Weaksauce
Now that I know for sure I'm not upgrading the Q6600 rig until LGA2011, I'm thinking of a new case and cooling system for the existing setup (I've OC'd it to 3.6 on air but backed off due to temps). When LGA2011 is available, I'll just put the board/cpu/existing cooler back in the old box at stock speeds as a second machine. Plus, it will be ~$900 less I will have to spend when building a new LGA2011 system.

I've never done water cooling. Requirements are to keep it quiet and not have visible panels (I have this setup as a video capture machine, so ambient noise/light need to be under control). I don't plan on OC'ng the graphics card, but if $132 will keep it cooler with less fan noise on the same setup, then it's probably worth doing. In my existing cramped case, the card throws off so much heat, I have the side panel off.

My shopping list from frozencpu looks like this:

Swiftech H20-320 EDGE Series Liquid Cooling Kit (Universal Mount)

Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower Classic Case - Black (RC-840-KKN1-GP) with Professional Sound Dampening Installation (AcoustiPack ULTIMATEYes)

Danger Den DD-GTX470 VGA Full Card Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel Plated Base / Smoke Acrylic Top (GPU-6910-NA)

My questions:
As a newbie, should I get the kit or do everything from scratch?

Can I add the GTX470 block to the H20-320, and if so, what extra tubing and parts would be required (or is enough supplied in the kit)?

Do I need additional fans in the case and/or recommendations on replacing stock fans? What should I add to the shopping list?

I'm going to have 1 SSD plus another 3 hard drives. Do I need additional fans for those?

I'm under the impression that the entire water cooling system can be mounted internally in the ATCS 840 with no mods to the case. Is that correct?

I'm not overly concerned about budget, as this should last through a few upgrades.

Back