Going to BB tonight... got ?'s

Sorry guys. I don't have time to browse forums or FAQs. But I plan on going to Best Buy tonight to pick up Vista and I wanted to know if Vista Ultimate 64-bit was worth it.

The ONLY things I really care about is Oblivion, NBA Live, watching Divx's, and using BitLord (for downloading shows that I missed).

I also wanted all the eye candy... so I know Ultimate has that for sure... just not sure if its price warrants the eye candy over the lesser versions. For example, I'd want the Aeroglass feature as well as the "waving grass" wallpaper.

And what's the latest on the transferring of OS's? For example, I upgrade my motherboard a lot. Can Vista really be only activated once after the first installation?

If you get the OEM version the license states it can only be installed on one PC and MS considers a mobo swap to be equivalent to a new PC. People have reported being able to call MS and get OEM stuff reactivated on new hardware but that is at the very least a grey area and could be piracy and piracy is bad, mmmmkay. So go retail.

By the waving grass wallpaper I assume you are talking about the Dreamscene addon for Vista Ultimate... those addons only are available to people who purchase the Ultimate version.

Get Vista home Premium. It'll suit your needs best without breaking the bank.

Wait, so Best Buy is doing a midnight release of Vista? Is this a nationwide thing, or does it vary store by store?

First midnight launches of consoles, now midnight launches of operating systems - ah, it's good to be a geek...:p

Wait, so Best Buy is doing a midnight release of Vista? Is this a nationwide thing, or does it vary store by store?

First midnight launches of consoles, now midnight launches of operating systems - ah, it's good to be a geek...:p

I'd pay to see a line and people trampling each other for it. I'd have a lawl :p

Not all BB's have midnight offerings of Vista. Only 15 nationwide but I'll be near the one in Silicon Valley.

All COMPUSA's though will be offering Vista at midnight... and supposedly they are offering it a better prices if you go at midnight.

I really do want the waving grass.

I was thinking of going and waving my TechNet downloaded versions in front of them. But, I won't because I didn't have TechNet access until I bought a subscription through work last week. I did think it would be funny to grab a lawn chair and sit by the front of the line with my Vista installed laptop already, though.

Sorry guys. I don't have time to browse forums or FAQs.
The ONLY things I really care about is Oblivion, NBA Live, watching Divx's, and using BitLord (for downloading shows that I missed).

i dont see a reason to even spend the money for Vista to be honest

i dont see a reason to even spend the money for Vista to be honest

I think the real benefits of Vista for an enthusiast (such as xb360 media center connectivity, the games for windows initiative and DX10) won't be readily apparent for a while, but in a year or two everyone will be running vista.

Remember when XP came out people were very concerned with product activation and how "bloated" it was compared to 2000, but nowadays the vast majority of people are running XP whether it came preloaded or not. And when NT5/2000 came out there were driver issues for a while and lots of claims made (such as that the NT kernel didn't make for a suitable "gaming OS") and I really think both the 2000 and the XP launch are mirrored here with Vista. People are resistant to change and the gains you'll receive from Vista haven't exactly materialized yet so it can seem to some like a dubious upgrade.

So while a lot of people, I think, will wait until they have a compelling reason to upgrade such as the proliferation of DX10 cards and games on every end of the spectrum (rather than just the high-end as it sits today) there IS or at least WILL BE plenty of reasons to upgrade in the near future, so if your hardware is supported and you can afford it there's no real reason NOT to jump aboard now, since you'll probably be doing it later anyway, especially if you have been waiting to build a new PC for Vista to come out.

My 2 cents...

hmm i was just in staples earlier today and they had all the vista versions for sale

So DX10 will be a VISTA ONLY and it will never be released fo XP ? Is this true ?
Could somone pleases answer this, I just wan't to know for shure. Thanks

I think the real benefits of Vista for an enthusiast (such as xb360 media center connectivity, the games for windows initiative and DX10) won't be readily apparent for a while, but in a year or two everyone will be running vista.

Remember when XP came out people were very concerned with product activation and how "bloated" it was compared to 2000, but nowadays the vast majority of people are running XP whether it came preloaded or not. And when NT5/2000 came out there were driver issues for a while and lots of claims made (such as that the NT kernel didn't make for a suitable "gaming OS") and I really think both the 2000 and the XP launch are mirrored here with Vista. People are resistant to change and the gains you'll receive from Vista haven't exactly materialized yet so it can seem to some like a dubious upgrade.

So while a lot of people, I think, will wait until they have a compelling reason to upgrade such as the proliferation of DX10 cards and games on every end of the spectrum (rather than just the high-end as it sits today) there IS or at least WILL BE plenty of reasons to upgrade in the near future, so if your hardware is supported and you can afford it there's no real reason NOT to jump aboard now, since you'll probably be doing it later anyway, especially if you have been waiting to build a new PC for Vista to come out.

My 2 cents...

agreed, but since he has zero good reasons to get it, i think he should fall into the category of those who wait until theres reason to buy it other than "grass" on the desktop and the other non-critical features he is wanting it for, besides, by then he could probably get a better deal and likely avoid some of the crazy bugs that are lying in wait as we type, we all know it....

X360 connectivity does look very nice, and i have a 360 myself, but i am not running out to buy Vista for that, and thats a functional reason

to the OP, if you really want the "look" of Vista, why not just install one of the several "Vista Transformation Packs" into XP? both will virtually give you the same thing at this point, prettier slower performance

hmm i was just in staples earlier today and they had all the vista versions for sale

1 Million Dollar fine for each copy sold before 12:01AM the 30th of Jan. I doubt it.

I've actually blatently told the reactivation operator on the phone that I installed a new motherboard on a customer's computer when reactivating Windows XP and they never gave me any grief about it or needing a different license. I don't know if this will continue or not though.

the OP should also consider that he may have multiple pieces of hardware that will not be Vista compatible or many devices may not have Vista drivers ready or may never have Vista drivers ready which would considerably increase the cost of upgrading to Vista, and is in my mind, another great reason to wait on a Vista upgrade

Back