Going to Android from a Playbook...help me out?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I just bought a Toshiba Excite 7.7 because of the kick ass AMOLED screen AND also a Nexus 7. To see which one I like more.

I'm going from a 64GB BB Playbook with QNX to Android.

The OS feels VERY clunky and slow compared to the QNX on the BB Playbook. Also switching apps is a huge pain in the OS.

Help me out here, I might return them and stick with the playbook. Also the speakers are HORRIBLE.

Is it just me or am I not doing something wrong?

If I am doing something wrong please point me in the right direction.

I can't stand Android anymore, its a complete train wreck of an OS.

The only thing it has going for it is the amount of apps and most are garbage. I'm going to return them.

Well, I can't see really why you seem to find Android slow as it is not so slow, in my personal experience. I have a Galaxy Nexus (which is arguably less powerful than both the tablets you bought) and Android is almost as smooth as butter.

As for the speakers, I am not sure I would consider it a selling point, in a tablet. But again, it's me.

As far as apps are garbage, it's your call really, but trying Android for a day can't really give you a faithful look of the store.

IMHO, you judged Android too fast. It may not be the best OS out there, but certainly a very strong contender on many fronts.

Sorry, OP. Stock Android doesn't really have anything on QNX except a much larger selection of quality apps. The user experience doesn't even come close.

However, if you dig a little, you can find plenty of mods for Android that allow gesture-based app switching, completely buttonless use, etc. like you'd have on the Playbook but it's up to you to pick out what you like and set it all up yourself. The stock experience isn't up to par with QNX, but it's the ability to customize and tweak everything that really set it apart. Android is the the only major mobile OS that lets you completely replace the launcher with another app of your choice. If you don't want to tweak it and you're not feeling the Android apps, return it and stick with the Playbook. My uncle tried to switch from his Playbook to a Nexus 7 over the summer but couldn't deal with it either, though now he uses an iPad Mini.

I had a playbook.. i really liked the interface, but just dont have a use for a tablet. Now im using a galaxy nexus smartphone and extremely pleased with its speed/interface. What Android OS are you running? im on 4.1.1

I can't stand Android anymore, its a complete train wreck of an OS.

The only thing it has going for it is the amount of apps and most are garbage. I'm going to return them.

Yeah, even years later it is still choppier than QNX. It'd be nice to have a viable modern supported alternative to iOS, but between Android and the slower hardware it is running on it is hard to really recommend unless you're really trying to stick to a $200 budget. As for apps, the only place you're going to find a good selection of tablet optimized apps is iOS. Android on tablet leans way too much on resized phone apps, which as you said is garbage. Perhaps Windows 8 RT will make for another platform with a good selection of tablet apps, but we're at least a year away from seeing how well it does catching up.

Back