going to add a bunch of machines...

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
my dad runs the computers at a school here. we'd thought about doing folding before, but decided not to (well, he said no) because of bandwidth usage/etc. now, though, the school has a T1 line (w00t!) so we're going to do folding on all the faster linux boxes. there are ~20 900mhz athlons with 256mb memory, ~20 1200mhz durons with 128mb memory, and ~15 2.4ghz p4's with 256mb memory (possibly 512 on the 2.4's, but i think it's just 256)

we're going to start putting F@H on a few machines, and if they still work fine and the folding doesn't impact performance, we're probably going to put F@H on all of the above mentioned machines. we are putting it on a few today and probably in a week or two we'll know.

i'll keep you posted. oh - real quick - F@H v3 or v4? is there a difference? which should we do?

later.

edit: oh yeah - that's about 78ghz, by my calculations:D:D:D maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. but about 78ghz.

Just remember Team 33!!!

Glad to have all that power being added, it'll help greatly... :D

Folding shouldn't slow the boxen at all, that's the beauty of it, Folding only uses the spare cycles and very little RAM.

Get the latest version and refer to the sticky at the top of the this forum page to get any info you may need to help you along... Keep us all posted and welcome aboard!!

Keep on Folding!!!

i have 1-2 folding right now. turns out that a few "setbacks" have occurred. 1st: the school is still waiting for the phone company to activate the T1 line. 2nd: most of the 2.4 p4's (they're dells) are running windows:( so getting it to run continuously in the background on those could be fun. probably pretty easy, but it could still be fun. also, we need to make a script that copies the F@H locally and then runs it, as it cannot be run from the same directory on all the machines. that means going around to all the machines we want it on, logging in, running the script, and then logging back off. fun...

if the machines get turned off, and F@H was started by saying "F@Hexecutable &&" to put it in the background, would it come back automatically when they got turned back on? or would it have to be started manually?

thanks and i'll continue to keep you posted.

You can use a program called firedaemon ( www.firedaemon.com) to install the F@H console client as a service. It will run in the backround and will start up whenever the computer is turned on. It will also continue to run even when nobody is logged in.

Just put F@H into a directory, start is once to put in your username and team number, and then install firedaemon and set the F@H executable as a new service. It's pretty simple and the only thing you need to remember is to set the service to be hidden (2nd tab in the service creation screen for firedaemon) and you're all set. It's a bit of a pain to set it up on all the machines, but I have used firedaemon on well over 100 computers at my high school running win2k and 30 or so computers at my current job using winXP. It's a great program.

If you have any more questions, post here and I or someone else experienced with the program can give you a hand.

BTW, F@H uses almost no bandwidth, and you want to use F@H4 for speed and stability improvements.

and welcome to the team. :)

i have a few machines running as a trial run. it's only ~14ghz:(

:p this should work out fine, i'll just get uncompleted WU's if the machines get shut off. at least, that's probably what will happen unless it stores the WU's locally and re-copying the dir doesn't overwrite it.

later.

rogue_jedi, you shouldn't have any problem at all if your Windows machines are running 2K/XP (and 95/98 are only a little more trouble). The client can run as a service or a scheduled task and continue running if people are logged in or not. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask because we can probably help you through anything you run in to. Make sure you're not just copying the same directory around to each machine without setting it up each time - you'll get duplicate WU's and not get much done, so only copy the .exe file around. Good luck getting the rest up and running!

i believe that the directory it copies does not contain a WU so it has to go get it, but yeah i should check on that before it goes in the startup script... would suck if all 11 machines were doing the same thing right now... come to think of it i think they are:eek:

What's stopping you from having folding on each machine? it's 3-4MB... unless these are diskless machines, there's no excuse. Unless you don't have permission, in which case, well. yikes.

No one yet has mastered folding over the network. Anyone with some insight should jump in.

are theese on a workgroup or a domain? if its on a domain, try using this, i wrote it to borg a whole FRIGGIN HUGE domain, but i only got 100- or so because my account didnt have sifficient access on the other 600 machines...poo

well, anyhow, take a look:

http://66.56.244.13/borg.zip

ps. only works on a domain where you have admin privledges over the rest of the boxen on the network

well, we have a script now that will run at startup and copy/run the F@H client onto all the machines that meet the requirements (>700mhz, >96mb memory) we just have to get the proper files in the proper place, and put the script in the startup script. we just need to remove the WU file and the 'work' file to make sure duplicate work isn't being done (like i think it is now... oops) we're only running a few machines to make sure nothing breaks, but once we're sure it works we'll be adding another 40 or so, and maybe a few of the windows-based p4 2.4's later on.

Back