Going on holiday, how do I secure my PC

bigdavethehorn

Limp Gawd
As title, going on holiday at the weekend, my GF's brother will be staying in our flat.

I'm going to setup the guest account on my PC so that he can use that and make my documents private so that he can't access them.

Is there anything else I can do so that I don't come home to a machine full of Itunes, Quicktime and anything else he can install?

TIA.

p.s. OS is MCE 2005.

physical access to the system is all that's required to pwn it. If he's not too tech savey, then you've done all that is really necessary. Removing access to IE might be an additional safeguard.

pull the power lead out, take the fuse out, disconnect the HD and hide it somewhere

thedude42 said:
If he's not too tech savey, then you've done all that is really necessary. Removing access to IE might be an additional safeguard.

Thanks, just wondered if I'd missed anything.

He's not too tech savvy, just likes installing stuff!

you can use Tweak-XP to disable everything. And then let him do with the rest of "advantages" that left from this. THat includes Disabling my documents, my computer, tools, and properties. access to installing everything, or changing settings.

Best wishes. Armin

Didn't mention a password, so in case you haven't, don't forget to set a tough password for your account.

Don't know if still applies to MCE2005, but there used to be that safe mode Administrator account with a blank password, too.

Depending on your antivirus/spyware programs, an extra precaution may be to lock those down to prevent him from disabling the active scanners.

bigdavethehorn said:
...just likes installing stuff!

Tell him if he installs one single thing on the computer he'll be in a world of hurt.
Note I don't advocate the use of violence, and mearly offer this advice as use as an empty threat. :)

Check out Deep Freeze, trial should do you fine.

Basically it prevents any system changes while it's enabled.

I second DeepFreeze, and since you are going on a short vacation the Trial should be more that enough.

Just remember to get rid of it when you get back. :)

I would suggest changing your password to something else for the time being, something random. And add a password on the admin account if that hasnt been done yet. Delete all other accounts, asp.net and such.

Back