Going insane with filesharing on Windows 10 1803

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Need some help, i been battling with my main PC, running windows 10 Home that recently updated to 1803. On 1709 and before, sharing was as simple as its been for years with windows, i own many PC on a local network, and all have same user and pw, and sharing was as simple as turning on network discovery, i can see all my pcs and access their main hard drives, even shared individual extra hardrives from some pcs, all work perfect.

Now windows 10 decided to drop Workgroups on 1803 and probably some other stuff that broke my network sharing. I still have a 4x Windows 7 pcs, a blue iris dedicated camera server, a small pc that its use for when someone else needs a pc, my brothers laptop, a windows 2011 (thats similar to 7) and now dual booting my pc between 7 and 10.

All windows 7 PCs work great, but none of my windows 10 pcs (2 with home, 2 with pro) can access the windows 7 machines, they see the PC on the network but once you click on them, they negotiate but never resolve, Error 0x80070035 appears.

I have look for tutorials, on youtube and forums, i feel there are lots of info as this is something that many use, but i have tried everything that i have found and still the same issue. Here some videos and things that i have tried,

How To Homegroup Without Homegroup in Windows 10 - April 2018 Update
- Setting / Network and Internet / Status / Change connection properties / Network Profile / Private
- Setting / Network and Internet / Status / Sharing options / Private / Turn on network discovery, Turn on File and printer Sharing
- Setting / Network and Internet / Status / Sharing options / All networks / Turn off public folder sharing, use 128bit encryption, Turn off password protected sharing
- Windows Explorer / Folder / Give Access to / Everyone

How To Share a Complete Drive in Windows 10 - April 2018 Update
I also tried to share the folder and hardrive as explained on the video.
Also did the Services / Function Discovery Resource publication / Automatic and checked that it was started and running.

Error 0x80070035 "No se Encuentra la Ruta de Acceso a la Red" en Windows 10/8/7「4 Soluciones」2018
- TCP/IP Netbios Helper: check that it was automatic and running
- Network and Sharing center / Ethernet / Properties / TCP/IPv4 / Properties / Advanced / WINS / Enable NetBios over TCP/IP
- REGEDIT / Hkey_Local_machine / Software / Microsoft / MSLicensing / Removing HARDWAREID and STORE
- Local Security Policy / I couldn't do it because its removed on my freshly formatted w10 1803, probably the video is 1709 that was upgraded (i really don't know).

I still cant access any of the windows 7 computers drives or folders from a windows 10 1803 machine, i have even formated in case i messed it up, and did all the settings again, no luck, i was so frustrated that i installed windows 7 again on my main pc and it works fine accessing windows 7 and 10 machines.

Either way, i really want to go back to 10, i have issues with Z370/8700K on 7 (not huge but does have some issues), so if you have any recommendations ill give a shot.

Thanks,

Im in the same boat. I have both my Living Room and my Bedroom PC's that use the same Microsoft account on both Windows 10 machines. I have always been able to share folders between machines no problem by right clicking on them and going to sharing or advanced sharing and making certain folders Read/Write access for everyone. Now, after that April 2018 Creators Update that was applied, sharing between PCs absolutely does not work anymore. No matter what I have tried, there is no possible way that the machines can see each other. I am super frustrated with it, and it has always worked for years before they changed something. I never used the "Homegroups" or anything like that. Just the same exact settings as the OP. I guess I am now supposed to take a portable hard drive, fill it up with my stuff, and walk the hard drive up and down the stairs to transfer files between machines. Absolutely stupid and archaic way to use a computer.

I am having issues with 1803 and windows shares on a couple of my machines.
I can see them sometimes in Network but can't connect to 2 of them, but if I type in the IP address of the PC's I can access the shares.

Everything worked fine on the previous build of 10. Not sure if the issues are from the removal of Homegroup, but I wasn't using Homegroup on these machines.

try turning off ipv6 on the 10 system and try disabling any firewall.

I had to help a SMB that was using Homegroups for sharing and redo their file-sharing with Static IPs and ... SMB shares. I would say that if sharing is that important and time spent on troubleshooting is too valuable to do it right with a centralized NAS because even if you might get it working, guaranteed future updates will break it again. Welcome to Windows 10..

I love how everytime there is a new big update Windows 10 decides to revert all the Network and Sharing settings to the defaults. Not helping MS!

If I don't want to enable Password Protected Sharing then leave it be!

I love how everytime there is a new big update Windows 10 decides to revert all the Network and Sharing settings to the defaults. Not helping MS!

If I don't want to enable Password Protected Sharing then leave it be!
just had this happen for the first time with insider 17686. seems my internet preferences, like popup blocker were reset too. but this is the first time and ive been running insider previews from day one.

- Setting / Network and Internet / Status / Sharing options / All networks / Turn off public folder sharing, use 128bit encryption, Turn off password protected sharing
try dropping the encryption to the 40-50 option

I turned the encryption down to 40-56bit and I think that that helped. I also had to fiddle with the Services Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication to Auto on one PC, but I think the next sentence is what should get it to work. It was incredibly frustrating getting this POS to work.

So turn the Network to Private, turn Sharing on, enable file sharing devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption and if you want to make it even easier, turn off password protection.

nm misread, though you were op... huh? were you having the same issue and that got it sorted?

I can see them sometimes in Network but can't connect to 2 of them, but if I type in the IP address of the PC's I can access the shares.

I've been having to do this for a long time. Network under File Explorer is extremely hit and miss. Usually I have to go to map network drive, type in the IP address and hit browse and now suddenly it sees everything on that computer. Thankfully SMB has been pretty stable for several years with regards to interacting with Apple computers.

1: Make sure all machines are set to PRIVATE NETWORK.
2: Head into your AV solution and make sure, if your AV is managing firewalls or networking that IT TOO agrees that the network is PRIVATE and trusted.

But yeah. I've found that how the OS treats nearly identical setups on the same network WILDLY differently.

create a shortcut to the shared folder to avoid having to type ip addresses. press up or back to show all that systems shares.

Everything worked fine on the previous build of 10. Not sure if the issues are from the removal of Homegroup, but I wasn't using Homegroup on these machines.

I ran into this issue recently. I've had all kinds of issues with 1803, but I finally got it to where both my Win 10 Home desktop and my Win 10 Home laptop could access the shared folders on my Win 10 Pro "file server" machine. All was fine and dandy until I booted my desktop back up the following day. I could see my "file server" machine under Network, but it would give an error when double clicking it. Meanwhile, my laptop could still access it just fine. Going back to my desktop, I found that I could still access the "file server" by connecting via IP address, but using the computer name was a no-go. Strange..

How did I fix it? Well I also just so happened to have replaced my ASUS off-the-shelf router with a custom PFsense box, and was messing around with that when I came across a setting under the DNS resolver "Register DHCP leases in the DNS Resolver". This was the ticket. As soon as I enabled this, I was able to go on my desktop and access my "file server" via the Network page by double clicking on the computer name.

I'm not exactly the most networking literate person, but my takeaway was that it's a DNS related issue if you can access via IP address but not name.

I'm having this issue as well. I'll look into some of theses suggestions when I get home from work. Frustrating

Back