Going from RC to final version of Ultimate?

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently built a new PC, and installed the lastest version of Windows 7 Ultimate on it as a clean install. When 7 is released on the 22nd, do I need to do a complete re-installation or can I simply "upgrade" from my RC to the final version? I'm sorry if this has been asked but I was having a hard time finding the correct answer.

Clean install is golden.

Most 'upgrades' leave old system (crap) stuff around.

People upgrading from the Beta to the RC reported duplicated, unremovable system icons, and other issues. Same goes for the RTM (closest/is final version)

It's possible, but you need to edit the cversion.ini file on the install disk to change the value of the entry 'MinClient' to a build number lower than the 7100 for the RC issue. There's an MS KB article describing the procedure,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975452

I've done it on a couple of machines and experienced no issues whatsoever from doing so. The procedure used nowadays shouldn't 'inherit' problems from the previous install unless those problems relate to user-installed stuff.

It ain't like it used to be for XP and earlier. Nowadays your files, settings etc get quarantined aside, a clean install of the new OS version gets put in place using a file-based (rather than sector-based) image deployment, and then your files, settings etc get migrated into the new install. That's how upgrade installs work nowadays :)

I would recommend a clean format and clean install. It minimizes potential problems and ensures that you'll have a clean final version of the OS on your system.

Damn these are getting repetitive. I have to ask this...but why is everyone so afraid of doing a fresh install? Doesn't anyone like having that "clean install" feeling on their systems? i don't buy the argument that it takes too long...because it doesn't.

i don't buy the argument that it takes too long...because it doesn't.

You must have pretty bloody simplistic usage requirements on your rig, mate.

For a machine in 'household' use at my place, if I clean install and start over again from scratch, the process of installing/configuring all required software, setting up user accounts and system configuration changes, pointing it all at the locations where my data is stored, etc etc etc, takes at least a couple of days of effort, in periods of time stolen between the other demands of daily life. Most likely longer than that, even!

For many people it is genuinely something to be avoided if possible.

You must have pretty bloody simplistic usage requirements on your rig, mate.
No, it's just a matter of organization and common sense.

First, I keep my user data on a data drive, and back up anything important on my system volume using SyncToy, such as e-mails, favorites, game saves, etc. Second, I keep all of my drivers and apps updated on a flash drive, so when i need to reinstall or set up a new system, they are ready and available. For anything larger, like a game, I keep the DVDs on a media rack near my computer desk. A full install, from a blak drive takes about 2-3 hours for me....and can easily be done on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon during the course of one football game on TV.

I don't see what's so hard about that, or why people cling to the idea it takes so long. As with many business projects...a little planning in the beginning, saves a lot of time in the end. There's nothing about that process that needs to take days.

Two points I forgot. First, even something like Office 2007 can be installed from a USB flash drive. I have a custom install file made, so the total install only takes a few minutes. The second point I forgot is this. Windows 7, like Vista, needs very little, if any tweaking, so the OS customizations don't take a long time to put into place either. I'm even cutting my time down further by switching to IMAP e-mail, making it so I don't even have local e-mail to back up or restore. Reinstalls are nothing to fear with a little planning.

No, it's just a matter of organization and common sense.

First, I keep my user data on a data drive, and back up anything important on my system volume using SyncToy, such as e-mails, favorites, game saves, etc. Second, I keep all of my drivers and apps updated on a flash drive, so when i need to reinstall or set up a new system, they are ready and available. For anything larger, like a game, I keep the DVDs on a media rack near my computer desk. A full install, from a blak drive takes about 2-3 hours for me....and can easily be done on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon during the course of one football game on TV.

I don't see what's so hard about that, or why people cling to the idea it takes so long. As with many business projects...a little planning in the beginning, saves a lot of time in the end. There's nothing about that process that needs to take days.

Two points I forgot. First, even something like Office 2007 can be installed from a USB flash drive. I have a custom install file made, so the total install only takes a few minutes. The second point I forgot is this. Windows 7, like Vista, needs very little, if any tweaking, so the OS customizations don't take a long time to put into place either. I'm even cutting my time down further by switching to IMAP e-mail, making it so I don't even have local e-mail to back up or restore. Reinstalls are nothing to fear with a little planning.

I agree with this. I took off Win 7 RC1 and installed Win 7 Pro. It look me less then two hours to reinstall everything including restore things like e-mail, saved games, etc...

2 hours!? But of course, I had to stream everything back over a 802.11g connection...

Doesn't the upgrade to Win7 basically do a "clean install" and then move all data and programs back over? (Not counting an upgrade from XP)

blah, blah, blah.....

It's got little to do with 'fear' and everything to do with practicality. What you describe is fine for a person who uses installation default settings for each and every program installed, but when the process of configuring individual program settings starts it can take an inordinate amount of time to complete, especially in circumstances where there is an abundance of software to reinstall and configure.

Windows itself doesn't need much 'tweaking' in today's world, but it ain't the tweaking od windows which takes up the time.

Doesn't the upgrade to Win7 basically do a "clean install" and then move all data and programs back over? (Not counting an upgrade from XP)

Data, programs, and configuration settings. Don't forget that last bit. As mentioned, it's the bit which is time-consuming!

:D

lolz!

especially in circumstances where there is an abundance of software to reinstall and configure.
I don't have an abundance of software to install, because I'm talking about my home system. If I did, it either wouldn't be "mission critical", where as I could install it as needed, such as my games, as they rotate around. If it was mission critical, where I had to be back up and running fully ASAP, I'd be using an imaging program.

For the record, I do use a good amount of software at home, that does require configuration, such as my media ripping programs, etc. But even then, we are still only talking about a few hours before the system is completely done. It doesn't take anywhere near as long as some make it out to be. If such programs are that difficult to install and configure, use a drive imaging program.

Damn these are getting repetitive. I have to ask this...but why is everyone so afraid of doing a fresh install? Doesn't anyone like having that "clean install" feeling on their systems? i don't buy the argument that it takes too long...because it doesn't.

Most people have upgrade disks (like me, well they are on order).

Fresh installs may not be possible.

I am running the RTM and have been rearming it for months. Hopefully I can upgrade this version (although this is ultimate and I will be going to Pro).

That's why I'd go one of two ways. I'd either spend the money for a full license (or TechNet), or I'd make a clean image for the future, and store it some place safe.

Fresh installs are always possible using upgrade media/keys. People just need to understand that 'custom clean' gives just as clean/reliable an end-result as does 'wipe and install clean'.

Anyways, as DeaconFrost suggest, you only gotta do it (with qualifying install in place) the once and then make a drive image for future fresh starts. Reimaging the drive is quicker even than a clean install. MUCH quicker, because you can have the image with your software all installed, your configuration settings already done, and the install already activated. It's a one-step 'everything already done' procedure. Reimage the drive from a drive image and you afterwards only need to install updates which have been released since the drive image was made.

Back