Going From 9600 GT to 8800 GTS

Rip181

Weaksauce
Hey Guys/Gals,

One Quick Question, I just got a GTS real cheap so i am upgrading from the 9600 GT, I dont know if I will see a ton of difference but the question is.

Since they use the same Drivers, do i need to uninstall and reinstall or should it all be ok?

It's recommended to use 8-series drivers for 8-series cards, and 9-series drivers for 9-series cards. I do know someone who ran his 8800GT using 9-series drivers, though I can't say what the long-term instability issues he may run into for using 9-series drivers on an 8-series card.

It's always a good idea to uninstall old drivers, run Driver Cleaner Pro to eliminate all traces, install the new hardware, and install the hardware's drivers; it shouldn't be too difficult to do. :)

i would reinstall. they are different gpus, a 8 series vs a 9 series.

Thanks guys, I figured they were the same drivers no matter which gpu because they are both 177.25 or whatever. But your right it only takes 5-10 mins to uninstall and reinstall so I might as well do it to make sure there are no problems.

Thanks.

I dont know if I will see a ton of difference

Well, if it's an original 320-bit 8800GTS, you probably won't see much of a difference. But if it's one of the G92 based 8800GTSs then it should be quite a bit quicker.

Back