Going from 8GB to 16GB. Would like some input please.

Mister E

2[H]4U
As the final upgrade to the sig rig I'm going to update the ram to 16GB. I want to buy a new set of 2x8GB sticks since my CPU cooler won't let me add another matching set to occupy the other two available ram slots. One slot is completely blocked unless I get a really low profile ram. So I'll just grab two new sticks and sell the existing ones. Here are my questions.

1. Will getting 2400 speed (or maybe 2133) ram help me at all? I asked this question a long time ago and the answer was that 1600 was the fastest useful speed. Anything above that on my platform would be a waste. Is this still the case today? Gaming at 4K is the most demanding thing I do.

2. How important are ram timings on fast memory? If I spend the money (which I don't mind doing) on the faster ram, should I get the lowest timings even if it's more expensive? Or just go with the run of the mill ram?

3. Heat spreaders? I like the look and want to keep the blue and black color scheme I have. Are they anything but flash on today's ram or do they serve a purpose? Googling says yes and no.

4. Should I just say screw it and stick with the 8GB I have for Windows 10 Home and 4K gaming?

Thanks for any input you guys have.

1> Same holds true. Anything over 1600 has almost no impact on real world performance

2> Run of the mill is fine. Timing is less critical than it used to be. Again, no real performance impact for slightly more loose timings

3>If you are overclocking they serve a purpose. If you are running the RAM sock, they are just for looks basically.

4> No reason to not go with 16GB. It is becoming the new standard. It will be the new standard once DDR4 prices come down for larger capacities.

My 2 cents:

On #1/2: Agreeing with Rav3n on the ram speed/timings scaling, but only because here's why:
On DDR3/LGA1155: An Anandtech article on ram scaling (1600-2400) on a IVB platform. <--- This is your use case scenario.
On DDR4 /LGA1151: [H]'s 6700K IPC overclocking article. .

On #3: Gonna go with Rav3n again, but when he/she/it mentions overclocking... the context is like world record styled overclocking and not your usual 1600 to 2133, or even 2133 to 2400-2600. Heatspreaders have been known to block HSF installations and be an unexpected nuisance.

On #4: Also with Rav3n again. 16GB is the new 8GB. However, 8GB will float your boat just fine. But really though, "Why the hell not?" ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. And the article atp. :) I'll wait for a couple more and then make a purchase.

16GB does seem to be the new minimum. Ensuring I have enough ram for huge games like GTA V is looking to be my least expensive upgrade. I see decent kits for less than 80 bucks and selling my exsisting ram for 30 makes it dirt cheap to upgrade. To bad it's looking like faster ram won't do much of anything. But there's always a total overhaul upgrade with DDR4 in it to look forward to in a year or so. ;)

I agree with the previous posts. The only thing I will add is if you do decide to upgrade do not buy Value RAM. Memory companies are trying to get the most for their money and the value RAM is the lowest end crap they have. Yes it works for many, but why trust your PC to the lowest end junk they sell. besides color matching is important and some heat spreaders are very cool looking!

8gb is more than enough for most uses, many of us are getting 16gb because we can, hell some bumped it to 32gb.

So go find the coolest looking 16gb kit and upgrade because its fun or save your money.

I have 2x 8gb 1866. I recently had to take one stick out and lend it to somebody. I have not been able to use up all 8gb yet, so if you'd like to spend the money go for it, as you'll never be bottlenecked by RAM. As for speeds, there will be no noticeable difference for your average user, or gamer, over 1600 MHz.

Get some Crucial Ballistix Sport Low-profile 1.35V DDR3-1600. You will never have to worry about HSF clearance and, well, they are Micron made PCBs and chips.

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered what I already have, just in a 16GB package. It was $75 and I can sell my 8GB kit for around $30. Cheap upgrade for plenty of ram. Now to start saving for the next thing. :)

Back