going from 6th generation to 9th - will I notice/care ?

vibe

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a P67 mobo and i5 3350p cpu @ 3.1 - 3.3ghz

Looking at 9th generation Z97 with maybe i5-4690K hoping to get to 4ghz

is it worth the $300 ?

Defintely worth it. You're also getting 4 more native SATA III ports and native USB 3.0

4.0 GHz will be easy to hit, but I'd make sure the board has at least 6 power phases for peace of mind.

jumping from 3.3ghz to 4ghz itself will be a worthy jump, but also adding the extra bit of IPC jump and platform features will make the jump even better, however if you want to make a more noticeable improvement add a few more bucks and go straight with a 4790K.

The reason why I hesitate is I still have a full 1156 mobo+cpu sitting here in a box, two 1155 mobo + cpu

1150 is already "old" and 1151 is now out and then there is socket 2011 which would be nice for ECC

as expensive as intel cpus are, I'd sure like them to last more than a few years before obsolescence

is it worth the $300 ?

Dunno.
If you keep it in its box, you wont notice unless you keep the box open.

Dunno.
If you keep it in its box, you wont notice unless you keep the box open.

lol I deserve that

I can't believe I still have a biostar tforce 6100-939 ("black edition") sitting in the box with the cpu and heavy duty pure copper heatsink and 4gb ram - like I was like waiting for the day when I'd use it again, instead of moving onto other stuff

what once cost hundreds is now worth single dollars, maybe

is it worth the $300 ?

Have you gotten your free 400 MHz turbo boost bump yet?

See where I last helped ZodaEX to do this here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1861011&highlight=gta

Is it possible for me to get that 400mhz overclock without having to mess with increasing the voltage & stability testing? When i look in my bios the highest multiplier i can select is 29.

Yup, it's adjusting the max turbo boost, not a multiplier adjustment. Multiplier is only unlocked on the K processors.

See here where they overclocked a Core i5 2400 by 400 MHz:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-2500-2400-2300_11.html

All desktop Core i5 and i7s (Sandy and Ivy) can do this on an overclocking motherboard. Since all turbo-boost parts are validated with a predefined voltage curve in the factory, they don't need any voltage tweaks.

And his follow-up running his 2.9 GHZ Core i5 at 3.3 GHZ:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041610452&postcount=24

That would increase your top clock speed to 3.5 to 3.7 range, which should give you enough longevity to wait a bit before upgrading.

As to whether you'd notice an improvement with an upgrade, please tell us what you're doing. If gaming, which games you play. Are you a refresh rate nut with a 120 Hz or 144Hz hardcore monitor?

What applications do you run when you're not gaming?

Last edited:
Interesting, so basically it allows all four cores to run even at maximum multiplier which is meant for one core?

I vaguely remember seeing "turbo" in the bios but not sure if it was accessable for me.

Right now running with a simple 105 bclk which is the only overclock you can do with the old ivy i5

3350p has a max multiplier of 33x meant for when only one core is in use, otherwise 31x

it's a very low end quad-core but runs cooler because there isn't any graphics circuitry

Interesting, so basically it allows all four cores to run even at maximum multiplier which is meant for one core?

Even better, ALL max turbo settings are bumped-up by 4x. That means your single-core max turbo multiplier will now be 37x!

I vaguely remember seeing "turbo" in the bios but not sure if it was accessible for me.

Right now running with a simple 105 bclk which is the only overclock you can do with the old ivy i5

3350p has a max multiplier of 33x meant for when only one core is in use, otherwise 31x

it's a very low end quad-core but runs cooler because there isn't any graphics circuitry

You're just boosting the MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM turbo MULTIPLIER by + 4, using an existing frequency/voltage curve already set by Intel. You don't have to overclock. Any old P67 board should have support for that.

tbTyOyn.png

So, with your bus running at 105, your processor will run at 3.5 x 105 = 3.67 GHz BASE, and 3.7 x 105 = 3.88 GHz turbo.

Send ZodaEX a PM if you need help setting it up.

Last edited:
Back