Going dual display soon... question(s)!

ChrisUlrich

Weaksauce
I ran dual monitors for several years and always loved using "ultramon" that allowed to me quickly pass windows from screen to screen, minimize, maximize through both screens, etc... just made dual monitors easier to use. Is that something people still use with Windows 10? Is there anything else people are using that might be better?

Does having dual monitors hurt FPS when gaming? I read yes and then I read no. Just curious to your own experience.

It doesn't hurt fps if it's just static stuff on the other screen. Sometimes videos can.

Just use the windows key plus the arrows to move windows around.

I don't believe third party software is necessary.

I enable "show icons for applications on this monitor" and leave everything else alone.

I haven't used Ultramon or Display Fusion (which I switched to for Vista because UM was really slow to update and badly behind feature wise for a while) for years. Back in the XP era Windows needed a lot of help to not suck with multiple displays; but they've gotten steadily better over the years and eventually reached the point where I decided nothing was needed. I can't remember if Win 8 was good enough or it took until W10 anymore, W7 was a lot better but I still missed having helpers when using it.

I know in early Vista/Win 7 days I don't think the taskbar would even natively span multiple monitors? I can't quite remember. I used Display Fusion and/or Ultramon to fix that. Those were dark times.

I know in early Vista/Win 7 days I don't think the taskbar would even natively span multiple monitors? I can't quite remember. I used Display Fusion and/or Ultramon to fix that. Those were dark times.
So you're saying that you don't need ultramon anymore?

I'm not sure what It would add to current Windows 10. All I ever wanted was a taskbar on all my monitors and for the taskbar to only show apps open on that respective screen and all that is built into Windows now. So yes.

I haven't used ultramon in about 15 years, and haven't used display fusion for at least 5 (maybe 10) years.

If you're doing some sort of crazy customization you might still get some value out of them; but W10's baseline multi-display support has gotten good enough to cover everything I want or need.

Back