Going Back To XP 32bit From Vista 64bit Help

Backspacer

n00b
Is there anything that I need to worry about when going back to Windows XP 32bit from Vista Home Premium 64bit? I purchased a new comp with Vista on it and i'm just having to many compatibility issues right now with Vista. I figured I will give Vista another try when they release the first service pack for it. Anyway, I want to completely remove everything off of my hardrive and just start from scratch with XP 32bit. It has been a long time since I have reformated a drive and I just wanted to know if there is any steps I need to take? I only have 1 hardrive and I don't need to dual boot so I don't need to partition it correct? And I can just reformat by inserting the XP CD into the drive and booting up with it and selecting the proper option from the CD to format then install XP correct? Sorry about all the questions but it's been about 6 years since I have had to do this and there is no telling what in tech has changed over 6 years so that's why i'm asking here. :(

I keep all of my drives partitioned, even on single-boot setups. The reason is simple: god forbid I trash my OS and need to start over, I don't want to lose gigs upon gigs of data. I keep Windows and Program Files on my C: drive, and all of my personal files (data, music, pics... whatever) on my D: partition. That way, when I reformat/reinstall, my files are untouched. Generally, 50-100GB is plenty for the C: drive, depending on what I'm planning on using that particular build for (gaming, programming, dedicated Torrent box, etc).

I only have 1 hardrive which is an 74gb Raptor and I only use this comp for gaming mostly. So should I still partition with that in mind?

I only have 1 hardrive which is an 74gb Raptor and I only use this comp for gaming mostly. So should I still partition with that in mind?
That depends. Do you ever download anything onto it, or do you have a dedicated computer for that?

Set up the bios to boot from the CD. Boot from the CD and when you get to the partitioning part delete everything with the instructions written on the screen. You will get one big unallocated space. Hit enter and choose NTFS to partition it automatically. It will then copy files from the CD and restart the computer. This time do not press a key to boot from the CD. Just wait and you'll go right into graphical installation screen. Set up regional settings, enter your key, choose how you connect to the internet and finish the installation. It's actually pretty easy to do.

Back