Going back to an AMD system

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
Just ordered a 3900x CPU.
32 GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro memory 2x16 sticks.
And a MSI X570-A PRO motherboard.

I'll put my NVME drive and RTX 2080 video card into it and keep using my corsair power supply. Should rock this out just fine.

Thoughts?

Upgrading from an i7 7700k with 32gb of DDR4 2666 ram on a MSI gaming 7 something motherboard I've been happy with.

Either going to use that as the basis to build my step son a new gaming rig on, or sell if. not sure. He would probably prefer a gaming laptop and doesn't do the whole upgrade thing like I do. He just wants to play doesn't care of its PC or Xbox.

Push the speed up on the ram a bit if you want a bit extra performance, but other then that I am sure you will enjoy that build.

Push the RAM to 3200.

3600 is nice but not necessary.

I recently overclocked my RAM from 3200 C14 to 3600 C16. There are tangible gains but in the low single % range.

I bought 3400 ram.

It will feel exhilirating when you see the horsepower of the 3900x.

Right now my Threadripper is a 3900x, 2 ccds powered down, so I can smoothly play Star Citizen.

12 cores are very powerful

It will feel exhilirating when you see the horsepower of the 3900x.

Right now my Threadripper is a 3900x, 2 ccds powered down, so I can smoothly play Star Citizen.

12 cores are very powerful

Honestly looking forward to it. I didn't need threadripper memory bandwidth or motherboard prices. So I decided to go this route. Should last me a good long while too.

Yea enjoying the system and the build went super smooth. Installed the ram, cpu and cooler before I ever took my old board out of the case. Slotted everything into first slots for direct CPU controller access and am rocking it. Though the fan on the Wraith cooler kind of breathes I've noticed especially when I get the Network card going... oddly enough I'm only noticing fan noise when I'm hammering on that downloading games and such. Anyone else notice the same on the 570 chipset?

Running most current drivers and such too.

Lol Tempted to load up Star Citizen.

I built a 3900X a few months ago and Ive been very happy with mine also, came from a 3770K system. With the chipset fan, it usually will only run under large data transfers when it gets hot enough. The one on my MSI Creation I have never seen run yet, but it does have heatpipes going to the other heatsinks on the board.

Yea enjoying the system and the build went super smooth. Installed the ram, cpu and cooler before I ever took my old board out of the case. Slotted everything into first slots for direct CPU controller access and am rocking it. Though the fan on the Wraith cooler kind of breathes I've noticed especially when I get the Network card going... oddly enough I'm only noticing fan noise when I'm hammering on that downloading games and such. Anyone else notice the same on the 570 chipset?

Running most current drivers and such too.

Lol Tempted to load up Star Citizen.

if you have the latest bios there should be a silent option in bios for the chipset(PCH) fan. chipset should sit in the 45-55C range with silent mode threshold being around 68C on most boards before the fan turns on.

if you have the latest bios there should be a silent option in bios for the chipset(PCH) fan. chipset should sit in the 45-55C range with silent mode threshold being around 68C on most boards before the fan turns on.
I'll look into that. I also have the Wraith on high fan speed mode so that probably doesn't help things much. Off to reboot!

Back