Going 2560x1440 .. not sure which card to get

So do the tree huggers have a point? At least from a practical point of view?

If you ran your 290x at peak speeds 3 hours a day for a year and compare that with the power usage of a 970 for a year, how much of kWh difference are we talking? My guess is that it makes up for the difference in price within a year.

(r9 280 owner btw)

So do the tree huggers have a point? At least from a practical point of view?

If you ran your 290x at peak speeds 3 hours a day for a year and compare that with the power usage of a 970 for a year, how much of kWh difference are we talking? My guess is that it makes up for the difference in price within a year.

(r9 280 owner btw)

67931.png

97W more than 970 at typical gaming load.

Cost of electricity by state: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a

Assuming worst case scenario of living in Hawaii where electricity cost $0.3 per kWh

(3*365*97)/1000 * 0.3 = $31.86

Best case scenario of living in Louisiana where electricity is only $0.0924 per kWh and the difference goes way down to $9.18.

And after you OC the 970 to match perf*with the 290x the kWh diff is even less. :)

*depending on your usage

You'll be pleased w/ your decision. 290 / 290X is perfect for 1440p. I've been running this setup for 18 months and it's been rock solid! ...and it is nice during the winter months! :)

Always go with Nvidia , There drivers are better and more optimized on majority of the games.Unless you love pain and hassle go AMD have fun. I would pick a pair of 970SLI if you can find deals - 980. Never would i go with AMD cause all the crappy drivers. Might be better now but last time i had AMD was with my 6970 back in the day and omg terrible lack of support.

Always go with Nvidia , There drivers are better and more optimized on majority of the games.Unless you love pain and hassle go AMD have fun. I would pick a pair of 970SLI if you can find deals - 980. Never would i go with AMD cause all the crappy drivers. Might be better now but last time i had AMD was with my 6970 back in the day and omg terrible lack of support.

SLI is a terrible suggestion. I got rid of my 2nd Titan X because of nVidia's multiGPU problems.

AMD is completely fine driver wise for single GPU. From what I understand AMD is much better off in Windows 10.

Even if what you say is true, it's the equivalent of me saying, "don't get nVidia, they have driver problems that light your cards on fire" because that happened years ago.

Thanks for the laugh. heheh. I also like the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE
Videos like that is probably why nVidia is so damn conservative with their baseline blower profiles.

Yup, dumping SLI because of the hassle getting things to run right. Xfire is no better. I just wanted a single card, single monitor(for gaming) and call it a day. At the price point I bought this card for a new 980 couldn't be had.

I'm happy with my decision. I'll be even happier once it arrives! :)

SLI is a terrible suggestion. I got rid of my 2nd Titan X because of nVidia's multiGPU problems.

AMD is completely fine driver wise for single GPU. From what I understand AMD is much better off in Windows 10.

Even if what you say is true, it's the equivalent of me saying, "don't get nVidia, they have driver problems that light your cards on fire" because that happened years ago.

Thanks for the laugh. heheh. I also like the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE
Videos like that is probably why nVidia is so damn conservative with their baseline blower profiles.

Lol , I just recently purchased a 980ti off EVGA B stock , Been playing with it for a week and it's a badass card. I understand what you are saying but "i just dislike AMD ATM" Till they get better.

Of that selection, I'd pick the 390 or 290x, if you're looking for somthing for more of a long haul card, the GTX980-Ti would be a better choice for 1440p if you could spend a bit more.

I am using 290x and don't dare to buy a 2560x1440 screen because i am afraid i can't have good fps when gaming.

I am using 290x and don't dare to buy a 2560x1440 screen because i am afraid i can't have good fps when gaming.

It should be in the high/ultra range. I use 50% more card for 40% more screen (3440x1440) and can max games, usually with AA at 60Hz.

BF4 / Battlefront I can max with AA. "Run Ultra". That's what I care about. If you get a decent OC you should definitely be in "dimishing returns" area. Don't forget the 290x was the original Titan killer and games haven't really gotten much more intensive since then.

Lol , I just recently purchased a 980ti off EVGA B stock , Been playing with it for a week and it's a badass card. I understand what you are saying but "i just dislike AMD ATM" Till they get better.

My point was is that AMD drivers are fine now. I have both AMD and nVidia and have problems with neither (for a single card). From the same time period as the 6970 that you had problems with, I bet it wasn't as bad as the card CATCHING FIRE. :D

nvidiafire.jpg

Image courtesy of: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2143244

Last edited:
IMy point was is that AMD drivers are fine now. I have both AMD and nVidia and have problems with neither (for a single card).

I'm sure at least a dozen people on this board will disagree with you lol.

lol, i bought the 290x because it price, could not resits that damn good price for the "titan killer" :)

I'm sure at least a dozen people on this board will disagree with you lol.

Rubbish. No way someone would disagree with me on the Internet. :). I hope they at least have recent experiences...

Most AMD complaining I see is towards multiGPU or exotic monitor setups. Most nVidia relates to shitty support in Windows 10. Just my perception of the sub forums.

I am still on Windows 7 and will stay there until there's a reason to upgrade.

Last edited:
Having just recently come off of a 290 at 1440p you will want the 290x or 980 bare minimum. My card was water cooled and clocked to 1200/1350 and I couldn't do anything like steady 60fps maxed out in AAA. Witcher 3 for example with ultra minus hairworks I would bounce between like 40 and 55 fps. Dying light saw a lot of sub 60fps drops which was quite annoying since the game doesn't support triple buffering and I don't like tearing so I run vsync. So every time I fell below 60 I went straight to 30 because amd doesn't support the same vsync settings as nvidia.

I also ran 290 crossfire until last July when I got so tired of amd taking weeks or months to fix crossfire drivers that I pulled my second card out and upgraded my nephews box. And before the amd heroes come to tell me I must only play game works games, crossfire had terrible texture flashing in dragon age inquisition under both direct x and mantle when I bought it, on a 50% off sale, well after it had come out. Amd can't even get gaming evolved titles working in a timely manner. Crossfire is a worthless metric to me, after running only amd crossfire for the last 3 generations.

290X will be here tomorrow, monitor coming Friday. We'll see how she does as 1440.

Most current game I play is BF4. Should be able to drive that game nicely.

290X will be here tomorrow, monitor coming Friday. We'll see how she does as 1440.

Most current game I play is BF4. Should be able to drive that game nicely.

Congrats! Going from 1080p to 1440p is a jump well worth it IMO. I have an overclocked GTX 780 Lightning and it still does surprisingly well @ 1440p. I'm waiting until next gen to upgrade.

Congrats! Going from 1080p to 1440p is a jump well worth it IMO. I have an overclocked GTX 780 Lightning and it still does surprisingly well @ 1440p. I'm waiting until next gen to upgrade.

Hehe, I should add that I'm not really coming from 1080. My current monitors are 22" 1680x1050. So, even bigger jump.

Or course I get my 290x today. Installed fine, gamed fine for about 30 minutes and the PC just shut off. If I unplug the PCIe 6 and 8 pin, but the leave the card in the PC turns on. Plug either the 6 or 8 pin in and it'll turn on, plug both in and nothing. Threw the SLI 560 ti's back in and it runs fine.

Bad card I'm assuming considering the 560's are chugging away just fine on the same PSU.

My luck, I swear. lol At least it died within the return window for Tigerdirect and I'm not dealing with XFX.

I run an R9 290 with a ZR30W monitor (2560x1600) and it's dong great for games. GTAV, Battlefield Starwars Demo, new Dirt Rally - all play great. Been tempted to upgrade but quite surprised at how well the card has done at this res.

So, they shipped my replacement card to the same wrong zip code. Package made it all the way to Charlotte and was RTS.

This is after I've called TigerDirect no less than 5 times and asked them to change the zip code on the shipping address.

I'll never order with these incompetent assholes again.

Back