GoG winter sale on now. (Free Fallout 1,2 + Tactics for the next 47 hours)

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by LurkerLito, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

GoG is running a winter sale now. They are also giving away Fallout 1,2 and Tactics for free for the next 47 hours or so as of this post.
    Edit: Oops... link : http://www.gog.com/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. FiveFig

FiveFig Gawd

3. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

I peek from my phone and it’s true. Just go to GoG.com. Of course after I bought it from Steam during Black Friday.

4. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Works perfect, thanks OP!.

5. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Worth noting they have Shadow Warrior (2013) and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs are $9.99 each. Rise of the Triad (2013) is only $4.99 and more games.

6. Shyne151

Shyne151 Limp Gawd

Their site is getting slammed... I'm getting 500 errors from nginx everywhere. Still trying though. :)

7. HFBallad

HFBallad Gawd

Finally got through :)
    Thanks for the excellent post. BTW, what' with those gift boxes on the front page?

8. WetMacula

WetMacula Gawd

Thanks. Their site is pretty bad.

9. FiveFig

FiveFig Gawd

Random games that you can get a discount on.

Box 1 = old games
    Box 2 = new games
    Box 3 = random old or new game

Once you click on a box, that's your "option" linked to your account for 24 hours (according to the rules, some smart html hackers might be able to get multiple options though lol)

10. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

And then some. :mad:

Can't even sign up with out 404's and 502's popping up

11. Parja

Parja Whineologist

In their defense, you've got to figure they're getting slammed by the FatWallet/SlickDeals crowd that flock like vultures all over anything for free.

12. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Gah! I find this upsetting!!

13. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Yea, their traffic is massive at the moment.

14. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Kiss a fat babies ass, I won!! Damn that was exhausting....

Fuck you OP for inflicting this kind of stress on my life, now to wait ages to DL this crap.... FUCK!

15. Raekwon

Raekwon [H]ard|Gawd

I've been trying on my Samsung Epic to get this for over an hour. 404 when I enter my credentials. Other errors abound. So frustrating. Finally succeeded on PlayBook tethered to Sprint 3g. I have the disc's for Fallout 1 and 2. How is Tactics?

16. DiabloRojo

DiabloRojo Limp Gawd

Tactics is very RPG-lite, combat heavy. Would have had a great story if it had been done like 1 or 2, but then it would have been a proper Fallout 3. Not a terrible game by any means, just very different.

The disappointing part is that its story doesn't really gel with the actual Fallout 3 so I don't think many consider it canon (don't quote me on that though as I haven't been into Fallout lore for a long time).

17. Alai

Alai 2[H]4U

I agree with this assessment on every point. Storyline is definitely not canon.

18. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Does GOG ever give Steam keys?

19. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Tactics in non canon, but so is most of Fallout 3. Decent game, but do not use real time. Turn based or you'll be frustrated.

20. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

That would be counter-intuitive and make no sense. GOG is DRM-free stuff.

21. squishy

squishy [H]ard|Gawd

It's too bad really, if they issued steam keys I'd actually buy something. I refuse to manually manage games anymore :)

22. spaceace420

spaceace420 Limp Gawd

I love steam myself but gog's store theme is drm free, selling steam keys would go against what they stand for.

23. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Manually manage? Like, clicking on them? :p

24. squishy

squishy [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, exactly :)

I'm just getting old I guess. I want to install steam and have it manage everything I own. Yes, I am that lazy lol

25. BETA.

BETA. 2[H]4U

when you log into gog, all of your games are in a centralized place. So it is managed for you. It's not as elaborate as the Steam client, but it isn't DRMed either. If GOG came out with a client without DRM and had Steam's robust library, we'd have a winner.

26. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

If the games could be removed from a client, yes. I'm actually glad that GOG is clientless. I can store the exe files anywhere I want.

27. octoberasian

octoberasian 2[H]4U

Like Lenin said above: Nope.

I have FTL: Faster Than Light from GoG and has no DRM, but also no Steam keys.

28. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

so there's no client at all with GoG?...not even a wrapper like Uplay?...they just give you the exe file that you can store anywhere and is the same as if I had the game discs?...with the same default directory as the retail discs?

29. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Yes, that is correct. The only difference is the exe includes an installer.

30. scgt1

scgt1 [H]ardness Supreme

Not so sure about that. There is some program you can choose to install which is supposed to download faster also. Not sure if it's actually a client (Steam/Origin/etc) or just a download application. If that's the case meh who cares.

I too wish there was an option for steam keys though. I already hate the fact of having Origin installed for non steam version games. I also hardly own a game that isn't steam based anymore. Any games I own retail of I get on Steam during a sale so I don't need to mess with the hard copy anymore. It's mainly convenience I suppose which has in turn forced a preferencial trait upon me now. :rolleyes:

31. Alai

Alai 2[H]4U

I would have to agree with you, but I use Gog.com in addition to Steam if only for the fact that I support their DRM free business model. They also have a really good selection of classic games and are often cheaper than Steam.

So I use Steam and Gog.com only. But I definitely think including Gog.com as your alternative source of games to be worth it.

32. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Yes, there is a GOG downloader program, which is optional. It's not a client. You can download the executable directly.

I bet you guys are the same people who complained about Windows 8 not having a start menu, yet you can't be bothered with it to launch GOG games ;)

33. McDork

McDork Gawd

Thanks Lurker, I got through real quick this afternoon. How are these games? Also I checked my account and had about 5 other free games.

34. roma

roma Limp Gawd

SonOfa...I just bought Fallout 1&2 a few days ago on Steam (after declining to buy them on sale for years and years. Anyway I picked up those games again as well as Planescape Torment. Having lost internet for a few months once I appreciate having games not on Steam

35. Ikasu

Ikasu Gawd

thanks for this ^_^. I picked up fallout from them a while ago for free, now they have 2 and tactics. Loved these games to pieces, never finished tactics though...Guess it's time to roll up the sleeves and give it a playthrough ^_^.

36. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

I read an interview of one of the devs that they weren't really told about the Fallout universe when they were assigned to the game. With nothing to work on but playthroughs of F1 and F2 they came up with their own idea of the Fallout universe. Thus all the modern equipment and weapons in Tactics.