GOG Thread

SolidSnakeUS

[H]ard|Gawd
Never found an all around thread for GOG. Comment, discus, have fun and so on. I just wanted to make it since I just bought Freespace 2 since I have a joystick now. I have also bought One Unit Whole Blood and Witcher 2 on the site. Great non-DRM alternative to Steam.

I bought a few games over the Christmas break from GOG (The Witcher EE, The Witcher 2, Baldur's Gate I & II, Fallout I & II). I've just started The Witcher and I'm liking it. The combat is quite different from any other game I've played.

I much prefer GOG's setup to Steam's, plus the lack of regional price-rape is very nice. If only other publishers would use GOG, but I doubt they ever will exactly for the lack of ability to price-gouge.

I much prefer GOG's setup to Steam's, plus the lack of regional price-rape is very nice. If only other publishers would use GOG, but I doubt they ever will exactly for the lack of ability to price-gouge.

Unfortunately the regional shit is back...

http://www.gog.com/en/news/the_witcher_2_update_of_our_geo_ip_policy

Hopefully CDP shove a hot poker up the arse of Namco Bandai and tell them to fuck off for their next game so GOG and CDP can set the pricing they want and the DRM they want.

Personally I have a GOG account but I've never actually bought anything on it. There's a few games on their list that I'd like, but I have such a huge backlog and for the most part they seem a bit over priced given the games I want are mostly from the 90s, so I haven't used them for anything as of yet. When they were half off over Christmas I was very tempted but never hit the "buy" button :p

I haven't bought from GOG since the shutdown prank. I'm not really mad about it anymore, just haven't had an excuse to buy anything since. I wish steam would write an overlay or something so I could play direct draw games or whatever the problem is with starcraft and icewind dale and its engine. My GOG copy of icewind dale slows to a crawl everytime an area effect spell is cast like poison cloud and I'm too lazy to get it running in an xp module. Yes, I know I'm just whining incoherently.

I don't really trust them since they pulled that one, It's not the sort of behaviour I expect from a professional business, it's put me off buying their games ever since.

They thought it would be funny, it wasn't. Life moves on. I don't see any reason to hold a grudge based on a poor marketing stunt. They could have handled it a lot better, but that was over a year ago now.

GoG is still excellent despite PR stunts. I'm not sure why all of you seem so offended by it. All it took was some patience & I was able to do what I normally would do there after it boiled over.

I bought and downloaded from the holiday sale : Baldur's Gate 1 +2 and Planescape:Torment. Need to install them, they are still in a folder on my desktop... need to install them :D

Hopefully CDP shove a hot poker up the arse of Namco Bandai and tell them to fuck off for their next game so GOG and CDP can set the pricing they want and the DRM they want.

Personally I have a GOG account but I've never actually bought anything on it. There's a few games on their list that I'd like, but I have such a huge backlog and for the most part they seem a bit over priced given the games I want are mostly from the 90s, so I haven't used them for anything as of yet. When they were half off over Christmas I was very tempted but never hit the "buy" button :p

I believe the regional pricing by IP is only enforced for The Witcher 2?

They do a regular "hidden(forgotten?) gem" promo the first and third Wednesday (might need to double check the day) of every month.

But mainly the game catalogue is a nostalgia type one. There are some older games though that offer something very different from today and/or hold up well still.

I haven't bought from GOG since the shutdown prank. I'm not really mad about it anymore, just haven't had an excuse to buy anything since. I wish steam would write an overlay or something so I could play direct draw games or whatever the problem is with starcraft and icewind dale and its engine. My GOG copy of icewind dale slows to a crawl everytime an area effect spell is cast like poison cloud and I'm too lazy to get it running in an xp module. Yes, I know I'm just whining incoherently.

Try the nvidia inspector. Click on the button next to driver version. Add profile (orange button), add the program to the profile (button with +).
Show unknown settings (magnifying glass), in the unknown section, set PRE_D3D9_COMPATABILITY_BITS to 0x00000040 (the only other setting in the dropdown) and then apply.

This seems to clear up lots of compatibility issues with other older games, so might work with that (possibly). Youll have to redo with each driver, but it only takes a few seconds. Theres lots of stuff to poke around with here too. :D

I wish every publisher would put there games on GOG. I would dumb the DRM plagues Steam, Origin, etc.

Screw GoG, and their terrible customer service. I've expressed my opinion about GoG way too many times on this forum already. I love Witcher series, so kudos to CDP for that, but GoG can burn in hell.

No problems here.

What's everyone's favorite old school adventure game on GoG? I was thinking about picking one up for the weekend.

No problems here.

What's everyone's favorite old school adventure game on GoG? I was thinking about picking one up for the weekend.
Beneath a Steel Sky is my favorite, but it's free with an account.

If you want to actually buy one, Little Big Adventure 2 was pretty great.

How is steam a DRM plague? lulz

Dion just hates steam and trashes it every chance he gets. But he lives Origin, Uplay, and any other form.of DRM that isnt Steam.

Regardless, GoG is great for picking up classics and im glad they are still releasing titles. Thief 2 the metal age was and is an all time favorite for me

It's not like Namco Bandai even gives half a fuck about PC gaming. I bet this is due to the "deals" NB has with Gamestop/EB/etc about pricing digitally-distributed games.

So far I've bought and finished Fallout 1, 2 and Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate was a PAIN IN THE ASS, even with a guide. It took me almost 50 hours to finish it, but it didn't help that nobody in my party was higher than level 6 when I fought the last boss. I am now starting Baldur's Gate 2, which I hear is easier than the first 1, especially since I already know how the game works after playing part 1.

Last edited:
Back