GOG starts their fall sale - Free games every day

I just noticed that GOG has a very nice website. Steam looks horrible now with all that curated bullshit.

Thanks. Between gog and steam, I now have 1000 games that I own but I'll never get to.

you have to 'collect stamps' every day for 7 days in order to get Witcher 2 for free but it's worth it if you don't have the game

Thanks for the link. I don't use my GOG account as much as I should(my Steam account has enough unplayed games to take me into the next decade as it is). Hopefully I can remember to log in every day to get Witcher 2. Tempted to pick up Sanitarium though, I love a good point and click.

Thanks OP. Just picked up Jade Empire SE for $2.99!

..... Quandary here.... I have a boxed copy of Jade Empire... My HTPC doesn't have an optical drive.... Do I waste the time installing an optical... Or do I just spend 3 bucks? Decisions decisions...

Who doesn't have The Witcher 2 by this point?
I've got it on Steam but couldn't get into the story. I also felt the interface and map had a clumsy design. I liked the combat much more over the first game, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. But if you're getting this for free it's no loss if you think it sucks. ;)

I've got it on Steam but couldn't get into the story. I also felt the interface and map had a clumsy design. I liked the combat much more over the first game, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. But if you're getting this for free it's no loss if you think it sucks. ;)

The Witcher II tutorial was a killer. I got through it and then lost interest in the game. Witcher games seems more sizzle than steak. Worth $5 to putz a round a bit

I like the concept of GOG, the issue is by the time major titles can even become DRM free they are pretty old and might not play as well on a new system especially some old titles locked at say 1280 max resolution.

I like the concept of GOG, the issue is by the time major titles can even become DRM free they are pretty old and might not play as well on a new system especially some old titles locked at say 1280 max resolution.

Gog games are guaranteed to run on modern Windows. I see your point about resolution though.

The Witcher II tutorial was a killer. I got through it and then lost interest in the game. Witcher games seems more sizzle than steak. Worth $5 to putz a round a bit

Agree. 1 and 2 both seemed so overrated and after owning and TRYING to play both, just didnt see what was so great about them.

I thought they were both good. 1 took me a while (midway to chapter 2) to get into but once it picked up I thought it was the better of the two games. Two is more accessible and a bit tighter but was a lot of fun. Can't really comment if they are 'overrated' that is relative but I enjoyed them more than skyrim and oblivion given the stronger focus on story which is the only 'similar' game I can think of (from the same time frame). On the other hand I did prefer DKS to the witcher games...

Witcher 2 opening is amazing. After that I stopped playing after I got to the boss of Chapter 1

After reading about the sale on other news sites I don't think it was supposed to be a free game every day. Haven't seen anything other than M&B mentioned being free during the sale.

From GameSpot:

Digital distributor GOG.com kicks off its Fall sale today, with over 700 games discounted on its online store. For the first 48 hours of the sale, customers are able to pick up a copy of open-world role-playing game Mount & Blade for free.

In addition to this, sequel Mount & Blade: Warband and the Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword expansion are marked down by 75 percent. All of Hasbro's D&D games are also 80 percent off, including the positively received Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.

Two daily bundles and flash deals occurring every 40 minutes are planned for the duration of the Fall sale. Returning GOG.com customers will also be able to pick up free copies of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Gamers: Director's Cut film. As per the distributor's usual approach, all games will be free of any DRM.

Agree. 1 and 2 both seemed so overrated and after owning and TRYING to play both, just didnt see what was so great about them.

I tried playing 1. Stopped after 5 minutes, that combat was such trash. I even tried watching a Let's Play on one of my favorite channels..again I couldn't do it. The combat was so cringeworthy I couldn't even watch it. I think people just like the developer a bit too much and gave them a ton of slack for the issues with the games. The story is probably good, but I can't put myself through the gameplay.

Only way I'd buy a game on GOG is if they give me a steam key.

Let me know.

I tried playing 1. Stopped after 5 minutes.

I did the same thing. Ended up trying again about a year later, and pushed myself through the first chapter and lo and behold, like everyone said, it got AWESOME. Same with 2. The first few hours pretty bleh, but then it picked up and ended up being pretty great.

Let me know.

Their games are DRM-free so no steam keys.

What dark_reign said. Are you so blindly faithful to steam that you don't realize what GoG offers? :(

DRM free, no client like steam or origin to front load before you play "YOUR" game. You do not need an internet connection to play a single player game. This is as best as it gets, IMHO.

I really like steam but I love GOG. Bringing old school (and newer) games I grew up with to modern PCs with no DRM and cheap as dirt. HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT! ;)

Let me know.

Yeah, because it's awful to be able to download the game installer, DRM free, and it be yours forever.

Yeah, because it's awful to be able to download the game installer, DRM free, and it be yours forever.
the reason I don't appreciate it anymore is because I have such a huge backlog of games that I end up leaving a few GB's of a game sitting around in some folder that will likely never be played.

with steam I have a long list of games that I can download and play at my leisure that don't waste space when I'm not interested in them. the DRM is a non-issue to me...not even sure how it would bother anyone in this day and age of multi-GB installations.

what do you mean you own it? what are you going to do with it that I can't do with my steam versions of mount and blade or witcher?

I did the same thing. Ended up trying again about a year later, and pushed myself through the first chapter and lo and behold, like everyone said, it got AWESOME. Same with 2. The first few hours pretty bleh, but then it picked up and ended up being pretty great.

^this.

Takes a bit for Witcher to win you over but once it does it's hard to put down.

Back