GOG: Silver

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
GOG is running a special on Silver today. It's a fantastic RPG that I played "back in the day". The graphics aren't the most impressive, but the game itself really holds up well. Check it out -- can't go wrong at $2.39!! I'm going to grab it just so I don't have to worry about the disks anymore!!!

Silver

Silver, a corrupt and sinister sorcerer, rules the land of Jarrah with an iron fist. He and his henchmen have abducted the village women as part of a pact with the almighty god, Apocalypse. Now, only one man can put a stop to Silver and his minions. That man is you, David, a promising young knight whose wife is among the captured. In order to succeed you'll need to recruit allies, master your swordplay, learn the art of magic, and venture through hostile worlds teeming with Silver's corrupt followers to find 8 lost artifacts. Begin your quest, and become a hero!

Silver is the European answer to JRPGs, which were very popular at the time. With eye-candy in the form of pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, manga-inspired character design, and console-style gameplay, it introduced PC gamers to a new genre. This game is very unique on PC as there are only a few such titles on this platform, so if you feel like trying a different approach to role-playing, then this is a title for you!

I still have it on Dreamcast but I just bought it on PC. This was a classic back in the day. Released around the same time as Diablo 2, it was a lower-budget game in a simlar vein but with some outstanding quality to it. I loved the game and the (cliche) storyline.

oh Mystaria...so many hours spent on that game.

so much fun. It was like Shining Force on steroids at the time.

oh Mystaria...so many hours spent on that game.

so much fun. It was like Shining Force on steroids at the time.

Yup, had "Mystaria" but it went through a name change. It was called Blazing Heroes when I got it, because Cyan, makers of Myst, threatened to sue Sega over name similarity concerns. I'm not going to lie though, I was a 14 year old idiot back then. I got Myst on Saturn thinking it was the same thing as "that Mystaria game" on my Saturn demo disc. Man was I disappointed. the name change only made it harder for me to track down the game.

And then Shining Force 3 was eventually released for the Saturn. I have the US disc one, as well as the Japanese discs 2 and 3, and the Japanese limited edition premium disc.

Back