GOG Launches the FCK DRM Initiative to Promote Consumer Rights

cageymaru

Fully [H]
GOG has launched a new FCK DRM initiative to educate the public on DRM and the effects that it has on consumer rights. They discuss how DRM on games, music, video and books is intended to provide control for the content provider to shape how and when you can use your licensed product. There is a nice chart that shows some of the issues that plague DRM such as losing access to games if the company shuts down, what happens if the authentication servers are turned off, checks to make sure that you aren't running mods, or logged in elsewhere. There is a list of like-minded companies that promote the FCK DRM initiative.

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it's convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it. The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don't realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains -- you're never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it's not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

I love GoG for the games. It allowed me to empty out most my huge CD wallet with games dating back to the early 1990's. Now I love them even more. I have often wondered how much a publisher/ developer could have saved by accepting the reality of what will happen instead of paying a third-party company to implement their DRM in each copy of the publisher's products

That means run with it, buy a ton of ram when it becomes cheap thinking how we made a difference this time. Fuck those companies, yeah? Take all that money you shitty company. I hate you. You're gonna take your 1000 dollar punishment and you're gonna love it.

too bad we can't use the logo as an avatar because the background is clear instead of black...

Are they ever going to do that transfer program again? I'd love to get some of these Steam games onto GOG.

I remember some of the copy protection from years past on the Commodore 64. Some of it was so bad it could actually make your 1541 drives get out of alignment. I remember it making the drive heads rattle.
Solution - get the EagleSoft cracked version of the same program. Magically, your drive heads would not rattle. Hmm.

The music one is a bit strange, since AFAIK, virtually every online seller of music is DRM free. AFAIK, Apple and Amazon are DRM free (probably others, but I don't buy sound files, so I'm not sure who else sells them).

Steam haw big liblary off games but they dont open on ofline computer and many games are full off bugs or porly made for my specific computer.
And trailers who newer show actual game play.

They forgot to mention the potential security risks of installing drm-'protected' software.

Are they ever going to do that transfer program again? I'd love to get some of these Steam games onto GOG.

They regularly put some games at: https://www.gog.com/connect

I think they announce it on the front page when they put some up for transfer.

They're barking up the wrong tree. It's not the public that needs convincing, it's the publishers and content providers that need convincing. It is the publishers that are adamant about DRM and by extension the reason that GOG's AAA library is so awful.
It is precisely the public that needs to become aware of how DRM hurts the consumer. If people boycott DRM games, then publishers will react, because it is the money which they care about. Just screaming at publishers that they don't want DRM will not hurt the bottom line and therefore not accomplish anything.

DRM will remain in use until it can be proven to show to cost more then it helps to generate in revenue. currently that is not the case.. so they continue to use it.

Back