GOG Galaxy Client Receives Cloud Saves and More

cageymaru

Fully [H]
GOG's Galaxy client has received a feature that every digital game hoarder has dreamed for; cloud saves! Not just cloud saves for a few titles in their catalog; every title gets them! No more reinstalling Windows after a crash or hardware upgrade and losing all of your progress in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. Installation of the client isn't even necessary to download the cloud saves! This is coming with Update 1.2 which is a part of the beta client. There are a ton of more features being added to the client such as the ability to customize and disable unnecessary functions, hibernation mode that lowers CPU usage, new chat protocol, in game overlay with a fps counter, and more. Grab the client here and check out the rest of the new features.

Personally I love classic DRM free gaming, but I'm always finding new ways to lose my game saves. This update should do the trick as far as maintaining progress in those games.

Another major feature going live with 1.2 brings users the ability to customise Galaxy’s own features to their liking, turning what they want off and on as needed. GOG says this prevents bloating the client for those who don’t require advanced features.

Behind-the-scenes improvements include a hibernate mode that drops CPU usage when playing a game and a decrease in battery life usage when the client is idling. Other additions include a bandwidth limiter, fps counter, screenshot capturing, achievement rarity, in-game overlay, download scheduling and more.

That is fucking niiiiiice. I always manually backup my save data for games on local media, but cloud saves are still very much appreciated.

I don't really care about cloud saves myself but it's obvious that they've been putting a bit of work into their client. The first time i tried to use it I gave up because it was a buggy mess but when I used it recently to install The Witcher 3 the interface had been improved and it seemed to work well, the best part is that I don't need to launch it before launching the game.

Very cool. They're already supported in most of the other stores, so I'm glad GOG is doing it too.

I found out they DIDNT have cloud saves the hard way after some windows/reinstall issues a few weeks ago. Witcher 3 saves gone.. luckily I only had about 5-10 hrs into it.

Very cool. They're already supported in most of the other stores, so I'm glad GOG is doing it too.
Wish I had this when it came out. I loaded up blood and whine came out found out my save file were gone =(

Perfect. Would hate to lose my Witcher 3 saves.

I already lost my Witcher 3 saves once. I was halfway in, but I did replay the game and beat it, though I'm too burnt out for the DLC. And losing my saved games with Baldur's Gate 1 years ago, right outside the last boss, and never did beat it, and because of that, I never went ahead and played the second one. One day I might go back to them.

I already lost my Witcher 3 saves once. I was halfway in, but I did replay the game and beat it, though I'm too burnt out for the DLC. And losing my saved games with Baldur's Gate 1 years ago, right outside the last boss, and never did beat it, and because of that, I never went ahead and played the second one. One day I might go back to them.

Blood and Wine is so totally worth it. It really properly ends the story.

so this is finally out of beta after what seemed like forever?!...nice new features added as well...

Nice, but I think the biggest beef I have with it is that the delta updates are dramatically larger than Steam's. I believe it only does whole changed files, not file deltas. Every update to Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 ended up being gigabytes - even minor things.

Still worth it to get stuff which wasn't encrusted with technology to keep me from playing things I bought.

A lot of games store saves on the C drive even if installed on another. Few games allow you to customize save location anymore.

A lot of these store them in Documents folder, and you can easily move documents folder off the C drive.

Only a handful of games insist on saving in the user data folder, which doesn't seem to allow for moving, but I only really encountered one.

When is this actually being released? The link posted just links to the beta client.

Back