godaddy sucks need to vent

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't host with godaddy if you can, if you are new to design just dont give in.

After being a loyal customer of 3 years and receiving hundreds of spam messages and calls, I didn't realize my lost/replaced CC was for the account. They deleted my website after 10 days and will not restore it.

:(

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. sucks needed to vent.

Don't host with godaddy if you can, if you are new to design just dont give in.

After being a loyal customer of 3 years and receiving hundreds of spam messages and calls, I didn't realize my lost/replaced CC was for the account. They deleted my website after 10 days and will not restore it.

:(

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. sucks needed to vent.

Sounds like they have sucky policies. Did they not even give you a notice?

And that is why you should have had a full backup.

I kind of dread the near future in which I am planning on setting up a website after not having one for quite a few years.

Thats nothing, 10 years ago I had some web space with a small provider.

Paid up for the the year, never get to using it (busy time in life). Six months of not using it I got a complaint from them saying my script was using too much cpu and if it continued they would charge me. I tried to explain to them that I purchased the service but never used it. They just repeated not to running scripts that eat cpu and that they would charge me if it kept happening.

I canceled service on the spot.

They tried to charge an abuse fee which I disputed with my CC.

Remember a business one purpose for existing is to make money.

OP you have the polar opposite experience I had with them. Three or four years back I registered 3 domains with them. Not long after the CC used was compromised and replaced and eventually replaced again. Fast forward the initial 2 year registration. I receive notice it was time to renew the domains and decide to let them lapse as they were no longer being used and had no value. Move forward a few months in time and I notice a charge from Godaddy on a card they never had. Contact them and they claim they have a relationship with the CC companies that allow them to charge old/expired numbers and have them go through to the new acounts and are all about you're past the X day grace period and we are not going to refund jack. I eventually called the CC company and initiated a charge back due to unauthorized charge. GD went mad and started with threatening emails. After what seemed hundreds of phone calls, reality it was more like 10, I ended up telling them if they didn't let this go I'd involve the cops claiming credit card fraud/theft as they were never authorized to charge the card they charged. That was the end of it. I'll never have anything to do with them again. Funny enough I just checked and the domains still show up as:

Name: Repossessed by Go Daddy
Organization: Repossessed by Go Daddy
Mailing Address: 14455 N Hayden Rd, Scottsdale AZ 85260 US
Phone: 480-505-8800
Ext:
Fax: 480-505-8844
Fax Ext:
Email:[email protected]

F*ck Go Daddy

Namecheap is much better. Godaddy is not a company I'd want to support for multiple reasons, such as the fact that they endorse SOPA and elephant poaching.

Google has started offering domain registration, how about them?

+1 for NameCheap on the domain registration side.

Dedicated server for hosting (until hardware breaks and you gotta send them hardware to fix it sigh)

+1 for NameCheap on the domain registration side.

Dedicated server for hosting (until hardware breaks and you gotta send them hardware to fix it sigh)

With leased servers they are responsible for hardware, but colo, yeah you are. I'd love to colo because I can build the server as beefy as I want without having to pay extra per month like you would with a leased box, but then if something goes down.... remote hands is expensive.

I just wish ISPs would stop with the whole no servers bullshit and offer static IP blocks on top of that so I could host all that stuff at home. I'd even pay extra for that. On the other hand, since I discovered OVH, I can't really complain, I have a pretty decently beefy server for like $49/mo with unlimited bandwidth on a 100/100 line. So I host all my online facing stuff there and it acts as a place to store offsite backups of my home network.

I do colo. Remote hands for replacing hardware is free though. I just gotta send the harddrive to them and take the time to upload the backup to it. 2 drives in the server and it's the "slave" drive.

I do my domain with namecheap and had an DNS issue, did chat and it was resolved on the spot. I don't have hosting with it though.

Back