God WoW is ugly.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSatan

Limp Gawd
After delays and several beta tests. You think that this game wouldn't be so damn ugly. I guess they made it so all those diablo fiends could run it on their pentium 3s and geforce 3mxs. If you wanna play a good mmorpg, play ffxi. WoW is a joke. :mad:

You've been spoiled by what's come out recently in terms of graphics. Wow is cartoony, that's its style, its not trying to be the highend video card crippler like doom3. Blizzard has incredible texture artists that make the most of the low polys. Anyway wow isn't about graphics is about gameplay, and its got that in spades.

Btw, are you sure its not your reflection in your moniter that you're having an adverse reaction to?

umm... have you played WoW?

it's graphics may be slightly dated, but they definitely aren't no slouch.

FFXI and WoW's graphics are definitely comparable. WoW's is better in my opinion.

Also, Graphics != Good MMO. Far from that in fact.

go run along kiddie ;)

Cuz you'd want pretty ass graphics with massive lag right? Don't you understand why it doesn't look the best? Sacrifices were made so you can have the best online experience possible.

markt435 said:
Cuz you'd want pretty ass graphics with massive lag right? Don't you understand why it doesn't look the best? Sacrifices were made so you can have the best online experience possible.

Exactly .. you can have cartoony WoW graphics and still have all the lag, best of both worlds.

:p

I dont play WoW, but when I played it I like the graphics, thought they were awsome. I might pick up WoW sometime, but I doubt it, I still love CoH. But WoW's graphics are awsome on my eVGA 6800GT.

MrSatan said:
After delays and several beta tests. You think that this game wouldn't be so damn ugly. I guess they made it so all those diablo fiends could run it on their pentium 3s and geforce 3mxs. If you wanna play a good mmorpg, play ffxi. WoW is a joke. :mad:
No it's not

WoW looks extremely nice for an MMORPG. It's no Doom 3 or Half-Life 2, but it still stands up very well.

They also based the engine on the Warcraft engine, that's why it looks cartoonish, which fits Warcraft perfectly for me.

the problem i see with WoW's graphics are they are not future proof

sure it flies on current mid range machines now, but what about 3 years from now which is normally about halways thru a MMORPG's lifespan

not that i want to get into an EQ2-WoW debate, but JUST comparing thier graphics engines (not necesarrily the artwork involved), EQ2 is better off. EQ2 at the highest setting looks absolutely beautiful, but it brings the current highest end gaming systems to it's knees. what about hardware 3 years from now, tho?

now if the topic was gameplay? there'd be no comparison
:)

bonkrowave said:
Exactly .. you can have cartoony WoW graphics and still have all the lag, best of both worlds.

hahahahha good thing i don't play that game. still find it hard to justify $14 a month for an already $50 game.

Go die now. Go play something that has eye candy and no gameplay..aka DOOM 3.

OK, minus the die part.

Harkamus said:
Go die now. Go play something that has eye candy and no gameplay..aka DOOM 3.

OK, minus the die part.

Whoa, whoa! I love WoW but I also love Doom 3--they aren't mutually exclusive, ya know.

markt435 said:

how exactly does having better graphics affect network play? The grahics are processed locally and stay local. The network is just used to relay positions and item info etc surely?

With the power of todays graphics cards and CPU's having good graphics will not affect network data processing very much at all. Lag is an artifact of network latencies not local processing power really. As long as network processing is given a high enough priority on the local machine then then only issue will be latency in the network between the client and server.

Obviously if you are running on a slow ass machine then I can understand.

Before I started playing WoW I really thought the graphics would look like cell-shaded crap, as judged through screenshots I've seen. But once you actually turn up all the settings and resolution and play the game awhile it looks really nice. The graphics can't accurately be called cartoonish, because there is nice detail in some areas (outside of Ironforge, etc). It looks damn good to me and I'm a graphics snob when it comes to MMOs.

markt435 said:
hahahahha good thing i don't play that game. still find it hard to justify $14 a month for an already $50 game.

Well if the 14.99 was going towards what is stated: more content, server stability
Then I would have no problem with it.

But right now it seams to be going towards paying GMs to disband guilds and change peoples names, which I do have a problem with.

I actually Liked the graphics in WOW. Everywhere you go now you hear people talking about photo realistic graphics, and I think it was nice that blizzard went away from that and had someone more creative and fantasy like. The graphics are meant to reflect the WOW universe and I think it does it perfectly.

markt435 said:

Lag is latency because of server and network load. It has nothing to do with your computer being slow. Please get your terms right.

If you'll notice, the graphics style looks like Warcraft III. I don't remember anybody having trouble with those graphics. It's basically the same thing, except you're down in the thick of things.

Well, I think some of the graphics in WoW are ugly. Mainly every horde model, and every male alliance model with the exception of night elves. They are just ugly to me. Even if they were high poly they would still be ugly. However, the areas in WoW look pretty damn nice.

As far as comparing them to FFXI, the games are over 2 years apart in release. I think FFXI looks damn nice, especially some of the promathia areas. Overall though, it's a tough call. Their styles are just so different. If I wanted to compare WoW graphics to another game, it would be CoH, and CoH just destroys it in graphics. The gameplay just wasn't for me though.

Syphon Filter said:
how exactly does having better graphics affect network play? The grahics are processed locally and stay local. The network is just used to relay positions and item info etc surely?

With the power of todays graphics cards and CPU's having good graphics will not affect network data processing very much at all. Lag is an artifact of network latencies not local processing power really. As long as network processing is given a high enough priority on the local machine then then only issue will be latency in the network between the client and server.

Obviously if you are running on a slow ass machine then I can understand.

Well, they way I figure graphics would play in is when their is a shit load of players on the screen at once. The lower res the characters the more FPS you will be able to push out, even if the server is laggy. I don't know if thats right, but thats what I would assume.

Besides, the look they choose is perfect for Warcraft, since it looks exactly like...duh..warcraft :)

As for that, I too had a problem with it. But if you go on their site, its 16 per month, 14 per 4 months? 12 for 6 months, and 10 for 1 yr. So really your only going to spend 120 at the end of the year (if you go with the yr plan). Which isn't that bad, considering I make 1.5 Times that a week. So really, you are just sacrificing portion of one of many paychecks that will not put a noticable dent in your yearly income. I am also a college student, so I know how hard money is to come by. I ended up buying it (Still waiting for my new credit card to arrive!..so I have a useless game installed) but I figured it was worth the monthly fee. Besides it DOES go towards them keeping the servers running, and adding game content. Whereas, a free one, (perhaps Guild Wars) will have to depend soley on the Mod community to make changes. That will not be so good, because I would assume contest would be held for the best add-on, then it would be picked, added, and streamed via internet to everyone. WoW on the other hand can keep its orginal workers/game designers and have them keep pumping up = level quality as the rest of the game. Whereas the mod community might fail a little.

Either way, you just have to weigh everthing out, and in the ends its up to you. Pay it or don't. There are plenty of other fish(games) in the sea :D

obs said:
Well, I think some of the graphics in WoW are ugly. Mainly every horde model, and every male alliance model with the exception of night elves. They are just ugly to me. Even if they were high poly they would still be ugly. However, the areas in WoW look pretty damn nice.

As far as comparing them to FFXI, the games are over 2 years apart in release. I think FFXI looks damn nice, especially some of the promathia areas. Overall though, it's a tough call. Their styles are just so different. If I wanted to compare WoW graphics to another game, it would be CoH, and CoH just destroys it in graphics. The gameplay just wasn't for me though.

I would have to agree on some points here. Some of the models are ghetto. And not all areas are nice. Night elf cities often look like easter puked on them.

Another post and run?

WoW looks good IMO. The graphics do what it should. Cartoony. Good game.

Too many people are hooked on all graphics these days.

ameoba said:
Lag is latency because of server and network load. It has nothing to do with your computer being slow. Please get your terms right.

um not if you're getting 5-10 fps on doom 3 while doing multi...you wanna tell me if that guy lags or not? i've seen it happen. even in games based on old engines so don't think graphics don't have anything to do with lag.

markt435 said:
um not if you're getting 5-10 fps on doom 3 while doing multi...you wanna tell me if that guy lags or not? i've seen it happen. even in games based on old engines so don't think graphics don't have anything to do with lag.

Doom 3 = horrible multiplayer code

What do you expect ?

i was using as an example...a friend of mine in my old clan would lag because of his graphics. this was in wolf ET mind you.

markt435 said:
i was using as an example...a friend of mine in my old clan would lag because of his graphics. this was in wolf ET mind you.

Nowadays graphics do not cause LAG.
Example HL2. Astonishing graphics ... no slow down on my end.

bonkrowave said:

Do you have a filter on the forums that shows you every WoW thread so you can paste your whining into it? Seriously...every thread..you whine. Let's find something constructive to do.

FFXI with it's massively screwed up economy, constant grind, and pathetic PvP is no competition for WoW.

QHalo said:
Do you have a filter on the forums that shows you every WoW thread so you can paste your whining into it? Seriously...every thread..you whine. Let's find something constructive to do.
Awwww Snap!

QHalo said:

QHalo and on the flip side, every thread you post in your are extremly anal and angry. Lets take some prozac and settle down some.

And it was a friggen joke ... I though the smiley with the tongue sticking out was enough, but just incase there are more over sensitive asshats .... it was a friggen joke.

Now lets not be such an asshat ... Mmmmkay!

I think you all need to take a step back and a deep breath before continuing down this path. We do not adhere to namecalling or personal insults on this forum, so learn or be schooled. This is a warning.

You make gnome sad :(
lookatthelittlegnome.jpg

MajorDomo said:
I think you all need to take a step back and a deep breath before continuing down this path. We do not adhere to namecalling or personal insults on this forum, so learn or be schooled. This is a warning.

Ok ... I will adhere to this policy ... does this apply to everyone ?

michealo said:
the problem i see with WoW's graphics are they are not future proof

sure it flies on current mid range machines now, but what about 3 years from now which is normally about halways thru a MMORPG's lifespan

not that i want to get into an EQ2-WoW debate, but JUST comparing thier graphics engines (not necesarrily the artwork involved), EQ2 is better off. EQ2 at the highest setting looks absolutely beautiful, but it brings the current highest end gaming systems to it's knees. what about hardware 3 years from now, tho?

now if the topic was gameplay? there'd be no comparison
:)

What the?? future proof graphics...who give's an S!? Apparently you haven't come from old school gaming when graphics wasn't all that. Have you played (staying with rpg theme) Darksun, Fallout, Final fantasy (snes even) These are just SOME games that are great that don't have the best graphics in the world by today standards, but are EXTREMELY fun and revisted even to this day. I think WoW looks pretty good

bonkrowave said:
Nowadays graphics do not cause LAG.
Example HL2. Astonishing graphics ... no slow down on my end.

Oh man i can't stop laughing at this. Talk about not being future proof. The source engine is so ghetto. I mean the lightening and shadowing is complete and total shit. Also if you look at a lot of the textures, they look like they took them from hl1.

Personally I think wow looks good enough for now. Will it look like shit in 2 years? Yes! Will they release some update to give it better gfx? Probably. Honestly I don't really care about what the game will be in 2 years because I can't see myself playing any game for that long. Of course you never know. Anyways, below are the only screenshots I have of WoW so far. They are from a raid we did recently, and the camera is zoomed pretty far out, but I think it still looks pretty good. 1600x1200 @ 4x fsaa. Not Dialup friendly

wow1.jpg

wow2.jpg

Bane said:
If you'll notice, the graphics style looks like Warcraft III. I don't remember anybody having trouble with those graphics. It's basically the same thing, except you're down in the thick of things.

that because it looks better from far away :D

btw its funny to watch the fanb0ys react in this thread lol

doh-nut said:
that because it looks better from far away :D

btw its funny to watch the fanb0ys react in this thread lol
Your face looks better from far away!!!

But yeah, that could be true.

Bane said:
Your face looks better from far away!!!

But yeah, that could be true.

I play the furthest zoomed out so I can see more of my surroundings. Less of a chance to get screwed by mob or ganker.

You know there is a way to zoom the camera out even further then it initially lets you ?
If you go into options and then interface options there is a slider for max following distance, I usually set it all the way back just so I have the ability to Zoom in and out much further.

Also is the ability to add notes to maps new ? Or was I just ignorant to this feature ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back