God this IT market is a F'en joke!

IceWindus

n00b
I got laid off from my company after the jackass owner killed the business with his alcholoism and drug addiction. I worked so hard in every way to find my first IT job and now, hardly more then a year later, I left making not much more then I did working at Wal-Mart two years ago! My other workers were wonderful, very experienced and great to work with people, but now were all suffering the end result of a mans poor decision making. Now im back to square one again, and I have to face the reality that the IT market is still pretty much...well....shitty still.

Of course, living in Montana that doesn't have have much of an IT economy in the first place, and even when its great, it still sucks and noobs like me are left under the bridges. I did the 2 year IT school and honestly, I think it was a waste. Not one damn bit of information I learned at the school did me jack squat worth of good at my now defunked IT job. I learned all my stuff doing hands on and trial and error at work, and boy do I remember that stuff now!

But even now that I have some good solid experience under my belt, I still feel like im under the weather of making a decent living in the IT world. I just can't decide if I have that drive to keep going for it or just do something else. I just feel this lack of desire to really learn the nit and gritty of servers, Active Directory, ect..ect.. I just...don't find it that interesting. And CISCO stuff.....wooo hooo, that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole, no thanks, to much like programming to me and I hate programming with an absolute passion.

But then I think how much I enjoyed meeting new people on onsite jobs, fixing problems, learning new tactics and information. I especially loved communicating with people about what I was doing, what went wrong, talking about equipment, software...ect..ect. That part I enjoy most about my job.

Im so equally fustrated of how the IT economy is a joke. Here I am, 24 years old still having to live with folks while many of my other friends who didn't even go to college are making more money then I am and even starting families!!! I know life aint fair, but God, it just borders on wrong at this point...

Im going through a serious self evaluation of if I wanna continue fighting the IT market in this town. I wanna start the next section of my life, im sick of this barely over minimum wage bullshit !! It feels like you either are a pro veteran in the IT market and can make money, or your just SOL....

Yeah, I could move to Portland/Vancuver but then I leave so much of my home behind and even thats not a gaurentee either I dunno, im in the same boat as apparently alot of other people are..... Wish I was better at math and I coulda done enginnering or something but I simply didn't have the heart to sit in a chair in school anymore.

Ever reached a point in your life where you simply didn't know what to do with yourself? What did you guys do if you have experienced this?

I was in teh same boat, worked at a job, got laid off when the companies poor management and money pot finally ran dry.

I decided it was time to start my own company and I have been happy ever since.

have you thought about starting your own business?

B

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=800678

I can sorta relate to you. I too have had many indecisions in my life. In college, i switched my major 4 times before realzing i should be doing what i love, IT. But the focus at school was more than just technical as to the real world of IT, its just more than knowing everything. It was hard at first but i was so much happier doing what i loved.

Now that im out of college, i realize that life is all about choices and how deciding how bad we want them. It too me many months to realize that i am good at what i do and i have the drive and the skills to be great at what i do.

You just need to take some time off and revaluate what is important in your life and what you want to do with the rest of it.

Right now the IT field is shit because of all the degrees colleges are handing out to complete morons. College IT majors are so easy it's a joke. Anyone can get a diploma and the market is now saturated with them, so it makes it really hard for a new person to stand out because HR departments don't usually know what skills to look for in IT personnel so they think a diploma is good enough. It took me 2 years to finally get in the door. But now that I am, my career is progressing quickly because I know what I'm doing. And there is no better feeling than owning all the "paper techs" with my actual knowledge. :D

So, if you're lacking in intuition, and knowledge, study up. Lock yourself in your room and study your ass off, hands-on is best, and get the knowledge you need to distinguish yourself from all the drones out there. Then learn how to write the perfect resume, and your odds of finding a job will increase.

I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, or your a n00b. I know how over-saturated the IT field is. The city I'm in has three colleges turning out paper techs by the thousand every semester, and it's damn near impossible to find a job if you don't have some experience. But hold in there, grab any experience you can to bolster your resume, and learn as much as you can, and you'll make it.

Good luck.

I live and work in Canada but its the same up here market is saturated with some of the biggest noobs you have ever seen. Lots of young people want to get into IT theyt want to be a tech, etc.. Its a dog eat dog world at the moment market is competative and wages are low. On top of that your forking out money your self to buy books and training. It people are propably the most over worked and underpaid in a any market. Hell in Alberta we are considered profesionals (like a doctor and engineer) so we are not even eligeble for Over Time unless we work more then 56 Hours a week. Did you ever see a Profesional type job that earns 10 dollars an hour? I am trying my best to get the hell out of this crappy industry and find something else I can do.

You expect to be handed a decent IT job and you won't even learn the bare minimum (Cisco, Active Directory, etc etc)? Your current IT accolades reach the merits of a kindergarten student. You're better off going into business for yourself.

To get a job you must know people. Networking is key!! I've had more shots are career jobs though networking than I've had through all of the resumes I've sent.

Granted, none of them have panned out yet :( But in a month or so I'll have a shot at a job in DC doing sys admin stuff. *knock on wood*

Let's put this AS degree to work, eh.

shade91 said:
You expect to be handed a decent IT job and you won't even learn the bare minimum (Cisco, Active Directory, etc etc)? Your current IT accolades reach the merits of a kindergarten student. You're better off going into business for yourself.

honestly, if you dont want to learn new technologies because you dont have the interest to, then maybe the IT field isnt for you. you need to do something that you will enjoy doing, there is no point in doing something you dont enjoy doing.

S1nF1xx said:
I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, or your a n00b. I know how over-saturated the IT field is. The city I'm in has three colleges turning out paper techs by the thousand every semester, and it's damn near impossible to find a job if you don't have some experience. But hold in there, grab any experience you can to bolster your resume, and learn as much as you can, and you'll make it.

Good luck.

yes. experience is always a plus. volunteer and or internships, they will always want to hire free labor. just make sure they dont abuse the crap out of you.

Icewind, some IT guys without realizing it get more joy from helping users and analytically troubleshooting things then actually working with software or hardware. If you stop and think about it, you might not really care about the technology part of it at all, it might just be the "vehicle" for you to get what you really enjoy (figuring stuff out/helping people) doing done. Maybe try to find another career that allows you to do those things. I found that I got to a level of "IT" that I really didn't want to go much deeper. Some people want to go all the way down to the "how do the gates work on the processors" level, and some just want to stay at the GUI level. My vote would be find exactly what it is you enjoyed the most at your other job and then try to figure out if it was IT related at all, or if you need to take those skills and apply them to a completely different career (teaching maybe?). I'm 27 and have a wife and two kids. At one point I was climbing the IT and salary ladder ferociously. But then three consecutive companies I worked for went under and I realized that having a good stable job was worth more then a high salary. I now work for a lot less then I have in the past, but the job is thoroughly enjoyable, stable, and I can always make more on the side or move up of course.

OldPueblo said:
Icewind, some IT guys without realizing it get more joy from helping users and analytically troubleshooting things then actually working with software or hardware. If you stop and think about it, you might not really care about the technology part of it at all, it might just be the "vehicle" for you to get what you really enjoy (figuring stuff out/helping people) doing done. Maybe try to find another career that allows you to do those things. I found that I got to a level of "IT" that I really didn't want to go much deeper. Some people want to go all the way down to the "how do the gates work on the processors" level, and some just want to stay at the GUI level. My vote would be find exactly what it is you enjoyed the most at your other job and then try to figure out if it was IT related at all, or if you need to take those skills and apply them to a completely different career (teaching maybe?). I'm 27 and have a wife and two kids. At one point I was climbing the IT and salary ladder ferociously. But then three consecutive companies I worked for went under and I realized that having a good stable job was worth more then a high salary. I now work for a lot less then I have in the past, but the job is thoroughly enjoyable, stable, and I can always make more on the side or move up of course.

Hey. how is the industry in arizona. I heard that state/city is one of the largest grownig cities in america.

killerasp said:
Hey. how is the industry in arizona. I heard that state/city is one of the largest grownig cities in america.

Seem to be IT people everywhere at lunch time, especially in Scottsdale (Phoenix subcity). :) Headhunters are everywhere, and I don't think you'd have to worry about finding a job, just making as much as you might have wanted.

I just can't decide if I have that drive to keep going for it or just do something else. I just feel this lack of desire to really learn the nit and gritty of servers, Active Directory, ect..ect.. I just...don't find it that interesting. And CISCO stuff.....wooo hooo, that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole, no thanks, to much like programming to me and I hate programming with an absolute passion.

don't like programming. don't like server/NOS configuration. doesn't sound to me like you want to be in IT. do you like troubleshooting networks? how about pulling cable? or . . . . ?

Cisco is to much programming? Have you ever taken a C++/C#/VB class? Thats to much programming.

Cisco is a walk in the park, sounds like your one of those guys that wants to work 1hr a week and get paid for 40hrs. :rolleyes:

I work 40hrs a week and get paid as if I worked the night shift at Arby or some fast food resturant. But hey I got my foot in the door and i am gaing experiance, that what teaches people, not books.

WesM63 said:
Cisco is to much programming? Have you ever taken a C++/C#/VB class? Thats to much programming.

Cisco is a walk in the park, sounds like your one of those guys that wants to work 1hr a week and get paid for 40hrs. :rolleyes:

I work 40hrs a week and get paid as if I worked the night shift at Arby or some fast food resturant. But hey I got my foot in the door and i am gaing experiance, that what teaches people, not books.

Yeah, I took a semester of C++ and VB and I about commited suicide. It simply isn't my fortee, no matter how hard I could try to like it *shrug*

Probably my problem is that i've gotten to accustomed to GUI interfaces that going back to command prompts of any kind really eeks me the hell outa me. Also the fact that my former business never really cattered to CISCO clients as most of them simply don't need/want or afford the cost of CISCO equipment, so we setup them up with SonicWall's and PIXS that do their jobs well.

. If you stop and think about it, you might not really care about the technology part of it at all, it might just be the "vehicle" for you to get what you really enjoy (figuring stuff out/helping people) doing done. Maybe try to find another career that allows you to do those things.

If it does turn out that you enjoy helping people, and being knowledgable, you might consider getting into nursing. Nice growth field, decent pay, and fairly easy to get your toe in the door (2 year degree, or just start as an orderly).

IceWind said:
Yeah, I took a semester of C++ and VB and I about commited suicide. It simply isn't my fortee, no matter how hard I could try to like it *shrug*

Probably my problem is that i've gotten to accustomed to GUI interfaces that going back to command prompts of any kind really eeks me the hell outa me. Also the fact that my former business never really cattered to CISCO clients as most of them simply don't need/want or afford the cost of CISCO equipment, so we setup them up with SonicWall's and PIXS that do their jobs well.

You sound better off doing manual labor (pulling cable, network room design, RCDD certification - RCDD is hardcore stuff).

One thing that really helped me out in the IT industry? I did consulting for elementary schools where I ended up teaching children how to use various software. Of course a certified/credentialed teacher was always in the room. It would have been illegal otherwise. I did it for 4 years. It gave me a great perspective on teaching. When I put to use now with the big corporate buffs what I learned in those elementary schools I leave a lasting impression. From then on the higher-ups start requesting my help more often than anyone else.

IT market is fine, if you've got experience and aren't stranded out in the middle of the boonies.

The low level IT market sucks everywhere, and will continue to do so, because of all the chaff that got churned out by the certificate mills in the last 4 years.

shade91 said:
You sound better off doing manual labor (pulling cable, network room design, RCDD certification - RCDD is hardcore stuff).

One thing that really helped me out in the IT industry? I did consulting for elementary schools where I ended up teaching children how to use various software. Of course a certified/credentialed teacher was always in the room. It would have been illegal otherwise. I did it for 4 years. It gave me a great perspective on teaching. When I put to use now with the big corporate buffs what I learned in those elementary schools I leave a lasting impression. From then on the higher-ups start requesting my help more often than anyone else.

I LOVE to teach people. I love being an informer. So you would think I would be a great salemen? Yes and no. I Love the people and the teaching part but I DESPISE having this contant feeling of forcing the customer to buy something also the fact that if I don't sell, I have no money. I love to just INFORM, especially about something that I love, like game's, computer equipment of all sorts.. trouble shooting, ect...ect....

I got my people skills from my father who is an excellent people person. Couple that with my years of retail experience and its no wonder that very few people walk away from me unhappy, I seem to just have an aura that calms down even the hottest headed of people. *shrug*

I've seen time after time former workers at my jobs loose their tempers or slip in "grudge attacks" to people over the phone or in person but with me, Im just incapable of doing it, I just don't seem to allow people to become that angry with me.

IceWind, the primary factor limiting your job potential is your market size.

I just looked it up - the entire population of the State of Montana was estimated at 917,621 people in 2003. Let's assume that 10% of those people use a computer at their job. That's 90,000 work computers in the ENTIRE STATE, never mind how many are in driving radius of where you live.

By comparison, there are probably 90,000 work computers PER SQUARE BLOCK in a few of the high-rise office building districts of major US cities, like New York City where I live and work, and easily 90,000 work computers per square mile in many cities in the US.

I have a friend who languished for years in the South Dakota IT market. Finally another friend of hers got her to move to San Franciso and then San Diego - for a lot more money, even relative to the much higher cost of living.

Unfortunately for you, an IT career and remaining near home in Montana might be mutually incompatible.

- Qualm

Qualm said:
IceWind, the primary factor limiting your job potential is your market size.

I just looked it up - the entire population of the State of Montana was estimated at 917,621 people in 2003. Let's assume that 10% of those people use a computer at their job. That's 90,000 work computers in the ENTIRE STATE, never mind how many are in driving radius of where you live.

By comparison, there are probably 90,000 work computers PER SQUARE BLOCK in a few of the high-rise office building districts of major US cities, like New York City where I live and work, and easily 90,000 work computers per square mile in many cities in the US.

I have a friend who languished for years in the South Dakota IT market. Finally another friend of hers got her to move to San Franciso and then San Diego - for a lot more money, even relative to the much higher cost of living.

Unfortunately for you, an IT career and remaining near home in Montana might be mutually impcompatible.

- Qualm

Yep...thats the biggest problem :( I gain by moving and I loose by moving also. And thats something right now I just have no idea what to do

there's no problem not knowing what to do. the only problem is sitting around not doing anything while waiting to make up your mind. it doesn't sound like you belong on IT though. get a job teaching and work on your degree/certification. most school districts are pressed for teachers so they allow a provisional period where you can be working on your teaching credentials.

IceWind said:
I LOVE to teach people. I love being an informer. So you would think I would be a great salemen? Yes and no. I Love the people and the teaching part but I DESPISE having this contant feeling of forcing the customer to buy something also the fact that if I don't sell, I have no money. I love to just INFORM, especially about something that I love, like game's, computer equipment of all sorts.. trouble shooting, ect...ect....

I got my people skills from my father who is an excellent people person. Couple that with my years of retail experience and its no wonder that very few people walk away from me unhappy, I seem to just have an aura that calms down even the hottest headed of people. *shrug*

I've seen time after time former workers at my jobs loose their tempers or slip in "grudge attacks" to people over the phone or in person but with me, Im just incapable of doing it, I just don't seem to allow people to become that angry with me.

Damn - are you my Montana Twin or something?
I'm the same way - hate programming but like people and explaining computers to them. One of the best things I've done in my (short) work history is teach the elderly how to use computers. Was lots of fun for me and them.

As far as the job scene - keep at it. Now that you have even 1 years worth of experience you have a (baby) step up on all those "fresh out of school" people. I'm on my 4th job in 5 years now and while switching twice wasn't my plan (1 lost contract and one company bankrupt) the experience I gained at each job vaulted me into the next.

Back