God of War: Ragnarök

Out of curiosity, if you were a reviewer, what game would you give a good score?
It's simple. If it's a good game, with good reviews, and the vast majority of people like it... he'll do nothing but criticize the game.

If it's a bad/mediocre game, with poor reviews, and a lot of criticism from players... he'll do nothing but extoll its virtues.

As good as the first game was (or at least as good as most people thought it was), all they really had to do was make more content to get critical acclaim. If they improve up anything, forgetaboutit. I think the reviews for the original were a hair inflated, but it was still a great game. I'd give it a solid A, but maybe not an A+

Reactions: T4rd
like this
sounds like a very good game...the biggest 'negative' if you want to call it that is that the game is pretty much a continuation of the first game and is not a revolutionary jump in terms of graphics or gameplay

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm all in. I'm not expecting shock and awe but I am expecting something pretty solid as a big fan of the first game. I am confident. :)

Taunting me from work.. soon...
Screenshot_20221109-084012.png

I wanted to play this game so much, saw a post on reddit that people were able to order the PS5 GOW edition so I went to bestbuy's website and I was actually able to order one! Says I can pick it up sunday, cant wait!

I'm a few hours into it and it's great so far.. some interesting story developments in the beginning already.

Plays exactly like the predecessor, which is good. Been playing in the Quality with HFR enabled, which is the 40 FPS mode and it feels nice to me, just like Horizon did in that mode. Haven't even tried the unlocked performance mode yet.

Amazon apparently can’t fulfill my launch day preorder until the 17th at the earliest. Guess I will be cancelling that and just buying a digital copy.

Walmart will have them tomorrow morning for sure if not already they put out new releases on Tuesday usually.
The Mod team changes the prices they night before for new games or the Dept. Manager.

Last edited:
I'm a few hours into it and it's great so far.. some interesting story developments in the beginning already.

Plays exactly like the predecessor, which is good. Been playing in the Quality with HFR enabled, which is the 40 FPS mode and it feels nice to me, just like Horizon did in that mode. Haven't even tried the unlocked performance mode yet.
Are you playing on ps5 or ps4? I was going to just grab it and play on ps4 pro until I was able to order the ps5 bundle.

Been playing on a PS5 in performance mode at my desk with a FV43U... game looks great to my eyes. I might give the 40fps quality mode a try at some point, but I really haven't felt the resolution has been an issue for me.

Game itself is a lot like the first one (so far, only a few hours in) and production is top notch.

Are you playing on ps5 or ps4? I was going to just grab it and play on ps4 pro until I was able to order the ps5 bundle.
PS5. PS4 doesn't support 120hz displays or VRR, so no 40FPS or unlocked frame rate mode on there.

But honestly I played the original on PS4 Pro in performance mode enjoyed it thoroughly and would expect the same here as well based on DF's comparison here.

It's amazing the image quality and performance they're getting out of the last gen consoles on this game and I'm sure it's a solid way to enjoy the game still.

Been playing on a PS5 in performance mode at my desk with a FV43U... game looks great to my eyes. I might give the 40fps quality mode a try at some point, but I really haven't felt the resolution has been an issue for me.

Game itself is a lot like the first one (so far, only a few hours in) and production is top notch.
Just watched some videos and it looks like buying on ps5 is mostly for resolution and frame rate. Kind of disappointed. GOW and horizon are the only two games on ps5 I want to play right now. Might just cancel and get the ps4 version and play on my pro. Guessing the ps5 pro is coming soon anyways.

Looking forward to giving this a go tonight. Fired it up this morning (mainly just to make sure the download worked) and it looked more or less just like the last one did via the PS5. For me, it's all about high FPS mode. I won't notice things like jaggy shadows, clouds, no bushes in the distance, or whatever, but I will notice 60fps and higher vs. anything lower.

Just watched some videos and it looks like buying on ps5 is mostly for resolution and frame rate. Kind of disappointed. GOW and horizon are the only two games on ps5 I want to play right now. Might just cancel and get the ps4 version and play on my pro. Guessing the ps5 pro is coming soon anyways.
Not for at least 2 years.

Question. Is anyone else getting a glitchy line of pixels at the very top middlish? It is the very top line and it looks like it is one pixel high. It seems to only appear on dark screen with a light source like a torch. It has been pretty noticable once you get to the first realm. This is on a 65 C9 OLED.

Last edited:
Not for at least 2 years.

Question. Is anyone else getting a glitchy line of pixels at the very top middlish? It is the very top line and it looks like it is one pixel high. It seems to only appear on dark screen with a light source like a torch. It has been pretty noticable once you get to the first realm. This is on a 65 C9 OLED.
Not seeing any pixels like that on my C9.

You all use the default controls? On the previous game I swapped X/O for action/dodge because most games are like that and I'm used to it. But I kinda thought the default config might actually make more sense so you can easily hit X/square simultaneously for dodge and attack (Atreus), but in practice that's awkward for me too. So think I'll just swap those again.

You all use the default controls? On the previous game I swapped X/O for action/dodge because most games are like that and I'm used to it. But I kinda thought the default config might actually make more sense so you can easily hit X/square simultaneously for dodge and attack (Atreus), but in practice that's awkward for me too. So think I'll just swap those again.
I use the default myself and have no issues.

I’ll definitely be swapping after using O for dodge in hundreds of hours of souls games, glad to hear that’s an option. X feels a little weird

Impressive user options in the menus. Comprehensive. As good as it gets.

I just started playing it last night and so far so good. As I typically do I choose "prefer performance" and go on my merry way. I'm very happy with it.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Swapping dodge to O (or B on an Xbox controller) is the first thing I do in every Souls'ish game. I'm still weirded out when devs don't use that by default. If I can't change it, I'm out. Thousands of hours of muscle memory = no joke.

I'm still taking hits because I'm hitting 'O' instead of 'X' to dodge - can't believe I never considered changing it until after reading these posts.

I am so sick of cross gen holding back the PS5. Probably selling it at this point.
It's still clearly taxing the PS5 when it can only do 4K locked at 30 FPS or 1800p-4K DRS at 40FPS, with the added benefit of better GI, textures, and other effects. So I don't get how it's "holding back" PS5.

Anyways, I just ran into my first minor bug; playing 40FPS mode after seeing Sindri for upgrades, performance dropped to 30 FPS and stayed there. I could immediately tell by how jittery the camera panning was. Toggling between different graphics modes didn't fix it (other modes worked as they should though). I had to back out to the main menu and continue my game to fix it. Just a heads up if you all see anything similar.

Last edited:
After playing this for 4-5 hours over the weekend, I'm in the "this is too similar to the last game" camp. It's absolutely still really good, but it's almost like they set out to duplicate the ebb and flow of the last game exactly. Here's a trek through the woods to show you the controls. Here's your first boss in an open are of the woods. Here's an unwinnable fight vs. the game's main protagonist. Here's your allies' house. Here's an open area with a boat. Etc. I'm enjoying myself, but talk about deja vu.

recency bias!...but I still expect ER to win GOTY

God of War Raganrok Dominates the Game Awards 2022 Nominations, Beating out Elden Ring

Sony’s game collected 10 nominations...by comparison, the game many considered the favorite for most of the year, Elden Ring, only picked up 7 noms...Horizon Forbidden West also picked up 7 nominations and fourth place actually went to the cat indie 'Stray' with 6 noms

Game Awards is a popularity contest. I only watch it for the trailers. I couldn't care less about the awards themselves.

Even though it's the most mainstream game From has ever made, Elden Ring might still be a hair esoteric compared to the industry as a whole. It's tough to compare some of the overall themes and stories from ER vs. the banter between a father and son or a cat in a world where sentience is questioned. I'd put Forbidden West way behind those other titles although at least Aloy, Varl, and Sylens are good voice actors. Some other characters...not so much.

I personally do not like elden ring and for that matter any of the from software games. So GoW gets my goty personally.

Game Awards is a popularity contest. I only watch it for the trailers. I couldn't care less about the awards themselves.

If Elden Ring is declared "GOTY", cool, but won't really matter. If any other game is declared GOTY, it won't change Elden Ring being the game of the year. And what I factor heavily is Elden Ring being a rolling and enduring title that's both discovered by new players and replayed fervently for the next decade. Maybe not at absurd Skyrim numbers, but up there.

GOW 1.5: Ragnarok seems like a great game - if gaming mac&cheese comfort food - but I dont see an instant classic quality that will give it staying power.

Last edited:
It's a live advertisement showcase cosplaying as an awards show. It's meaningless. If Elden Ring is declared "GOTY", cool, but doesn't matter. If any other game is declared GOTY, it won't change Elden Ring being the game of the year. And what I think factors heavily into that is that Elden Ring will be a rolling and enduring title that's both discovered by new players and replayed passionately for the next decade. Maybe not at absurd Skyrim numbers, but up there.

People won't be playing - or at least replaying - GOW 1.5: Ragnarok DLC for the next decade nearly as devotedly, if at all.
I don't find any value in replayability. I rarely ever replay a game.

Back