God of War: Ragnarök

I'm surprised how many TV commercials I've seen for this so far. They've been airing for roughly 6 weeks. During high volume mainstream content like college/NFL games, too. Feels early for a game not due until November.

It's all about Money and not Kratos I won't be picking this up because they used the same engine. I played the PC version today for a few hours just doesn't tick boxes.

I'm jealous of all of you that get to play it so soon. In the meantime I'll be here waiting patiently for the PC release which will probably be in 2025..

bigger than Elden Ring??

In terms of name recognition, I think so. It's a franchise that's been around for 17 years and all of 'em have sold well and have generally been well received. The last one got a lot of mainstream attention, too. Elden Ring ended up being rather huge, but I think GoW wins for name recognition.

In terms of name recognition, I think so. It's a franchise that's been around for 17 years and all of 'em have sold well and have generally been well received. The last one got a lot of mainstream attention, too. Elden Ring ended up being rather huge, but I think GoW wins for name recognition.

name recognition yes...but I don't think it can top ER as far as sales or even GOTY...Ragnarok will probably be among the GOTY contenders but Elden Ring seems to be universally loved

name recognition yes...but I don't think it can top ER as far as sales or even GOTY...Ragnarok will probably be among the GOTY contenders but Elden Ring seems to be universally loved
No doubt ER will get GotY officially but GoW will more then likely be mine.

At this point I don't even know if GOTY even means anything. It's usually just a term publishers toss around in order to sell a new SKU of an existing game. Personally, I can't imagine enjoying anything else as much as Elden Ring, but maybe GoW Ragnarok will surprise me? I liked the first one, but I didn't love it as much as some people. It felt like one of those console exclusives that was bolstered by generous scoring. Nothing ridiculous (like Spider-Man), but an A or A- game being treated like a greatest of all time candidate.

I think you greatly overestimate Elden ring. Elden ring is on more platforms but sold less then the previous GoW, granted it is more recent.

There are a lot of masochists who like From sofware games, but there are a lot more who don't, not that that will matter to certain award comitees.

There are a lot of masochists who like From sofware games, but there are a lot more who don't, not that that will matter to certain award comitees.

Elden Ring was the most accessible From Software game and it showed in terms of recognition and sales figures

I gave GoW about 20 hours of my life but I still don’t understand how anyone sane can think this lumbering repetitive borefest is worthy of GOTY. It’s a decent-ish 6.5/10 game or so. Nothing at all like the awesome earlier games in the GoW franchise.

The problem is the behind the back 3rd person perspective it works it's more in your face but it's not true to the original games.

I can definitely see people who liked the older older GoW games not digging the new one. The older ones were more about mashing out giant combos and epic scenery vs. the souls-like gameplay and dialed-back "epicness" of the new one. They were also intentionally a little over the top with the sex mini games and such. While not quite, it's a little like going from Left 4 Dead to the Last of Us.

I gave GoW about 20 hours of my life but I still don’t understand how anyone sane can think this lumbering repetitive borefest is worthy of GOTY. It’s a decent-ish 6.5/10 game or so. Nothing at all like the awesome earlier games in the GoW franchise.

didn't it also win best game of all-time recently from some gaming site?...it does get a lot of high praise...I haven't played it but bought it on Steam a few weeks ago during a 20% off sale so will give it a go soon...

Noticed any big Console games have more cut scenes than your regular run if the mill game for PC. Like Ghost of Tsushima is one big cut scene that holds your hand at first but I like the game cause it coddles you. I have no ambition to pick this up at any price I have about 5 hours in the 2018 game it's good but not addicting.

Last edited:
I couldn't get in to the original when I played it on PS4 because of how badly it ran but ended up loving it when it made the transition to PC. I wonder if I should even make the attempt to play Ragnarok on PS4.

I couldn't get in to the original when I played it on PS4 because of how badly it ran but ended up loving it when it made the transition to PC. I wonder if I should even make the attempt to play Ragnarok on PS4.
Just the base PS4, not the Pro?

I played the original on Pro in performance mode and loved it. If I didn't have a PS5 already, I'd prolly still play it on the Pro if need be and be fine providing it still offers a performance mode. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd play it until you can at 60 FPS elsewhere. I usually have no issues playing at 30 too in most games, but with the combat focus of GOW, I'd definitely prefer 60+ or at least 40 (locked or unlocked with VRR) on PS5.

Just the base PS4, not the Pro?

I played the original on Pro in performance mode and loved it. If I didn't have a PS5 already, I'd prolly still play it on the Pro if need be and be fine providing it still offers a performance mode. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd play it until you can at 60 FPS elsewhere. I usually have no issues playing at 30 too in most games, but with the combat focus of GOW, I'd definitely prefer 60+ or at least 40 (locked or unlocked with VRR) on PS5.
Just the base PS4. I'd much much prefer to play at a minimum of 60fps but I hate the idea of dropping $400-500 on a console that will just sit after I play this one game (although if I could find a PS5 I could probably sell it for full price after I finish GoWR).

Just the base PS4. I'd much much prefer to play at a minimum of 60fps but I hate the idea of dropping $400-500 on a console that will just sit after I play this one game (although if I could find a PS5 I could probably sell it for full price after I finish GoWR).
Then drop $400-$500 and play Horizon FW, Demon Souls, TLOU Part 1&2, Returnal, Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank RA, etc. after playing GoW. :p

But you could also just sell the PS4 towards a PS4 Pro or PS5 of course. I'd say even now one could fetch $150 at least.

Anyways, just put in leave for Nov 10-11 so I can play this immediately and then realized that I already have those days off for the holiday so didn't even have to burn leave for it. :cool:

Then drop $400-$500 and play Horizon FW, Demon Souls, TLOU Part 1&2, Returnal, Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank RA, etc. after playing GoW. :p
The only ones of those that are interesting to me are Returnal and Tsushima. Returnal should be out on PC at some point fairly soon (already has a SteamID IIRC) and there are rumors that Tsushima will be out on PC also. God of War is the only "good" Sony-exclusive franchise IMO. :D

If you've played any of the last few Assassin's Creed games and the first Nioh, you've basically played Ghost of Tsushima. It's worth playing if they ever port it, but it's nothing I'd buy a new system for.

If you've played any of the last few Assassin's Creed games and the first Nioh, you've basically played Ghost of Tsushima. It's worth playing if they ever port it, but it's nothing I'd buy a new system for.
Ghost of Tsushima was made for the PS4.

Ghost of Tsushima was made for the PS4.

Yeah, but that version is 30fps and doesn't look so hot. I'd settle for nothing less than the PS4 Pro version of that game, but ideally the PS5 update is the way to go.

But you could also just sell the PS4 towards a PS4 Pro or PS5 of course. I'd say even now one could fetch $150 at least.

Anyways, just put in leave for Nov 10-11 so I can play this immediately and then realized that I already have those days off for the holiday so didn't even have to burn leave for it. :cool:
You might as well buy a PS5 over a 4. They are out of production and prices stupid high ATM.

The only ones of those that are interesting to me are Returnal and Tsushima. Returnal should be out on PC at some point fairly soon (already has a SteamID IIRC) and there are rumors that Tsushima will be out on PC also. God of War is the only "good" Sony-exclusive franchise IMO. :D
Stop sleeping on Horizon and TLoU bro. 😁

Stop sleeping on Horizon and TLoU bro. 😁
I played HZD; it was pretty decent. On PS4 I made it about 1/4 of the way through; on PC I got all the way to the end but then got bored at the DLC. I didn't like TLoU at all.

pretty much all those games you listed are coming to PC...you have to wait at least a year but other than that the PC versions are always the definitive versions and a step-up over the console (PS5)...just look at the recent Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales (coming in November) PC releases...Miles Morales will feature new ray-traced shadows for outdoor light from the sun and moon which wasn't available in the PS5 version...

pretty much all those games you listed are coming to PC...you have to wait at least a year but other than that the PC versions are always the definitive versions and a step-up over the console (PS5)...just look at the recent Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales (coming in November) PC releases...Miles Morales will feature new ray-traced shadows for outdoor light from the sun and moon which wasn't available in the PS5 version...
I personally don't care to wait up to 3 years for a slightly better port to PC.

Back