God of War (Confirmed) - Official Thread

GoW game series is really good! I think 3rd person view was done really well compared to top down from the previous games. I played through the game twice on PS4, plan to play it on PS5 before new GoW game comes out. The acting/voice is really good, the story is good, and the gameplay is fun.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
14th this Friday not sure if I want this game.
tenor.gif

There are quite a few of them and I dont follow. Is this the first one of the seeies? I somewhat remember the serpent but am not so sure.

I wonder if performance/bugs will be similar to Horizon Zero Dawn PC when it was first released...

I wonder if performance/bugs will be similar to Horizon Zero Dawn PC when it was first released...
Yeah they had to patch that game for months and months and months. But at least they cared enough to fix every issue.

Yeah they had to patch that game for months and months and months. But at least they cared enough to fix every issue.
Eh, I'm pretty sure most of the "issues" were sorted in the first couple of patches. After that its been refinements and also adding features. Like DLSS.

Eh, I'm pretty sure most of the "issues" were sorted in the first couple of patches. After that its been refinements and also adding features. Like DLSS.
That is simply not true as it took numerous patches to fix the actual issues. Some of the patches were to fix issues that previous patches broke so it was quite a few before it ran like it should.

This game is 10.00 PS4 version at Walmart.

IM prob going to pick it up because its an America videogame.

what didn't you love about it?...combat?

Combat was fine. It's Souls-eque, but a little quicker/mashier. Not necessarily in a bad way. I think it came down to the game feeling like a mishmash of a few other games, but those individual parts didn't equal their inspirations. The level design felt a little like Resident Evil but not as good. Kratos and his son interacting was a high point for a lot of people, but it was like a lesser Joel/Ellie to me. There are side missions that are challenging and compelling, but the core game levels weren't all that exciting. It's in no way a bad game or even just an above average game, I just wouldn't consider it to be a GOAT contender. Score wise, I'd probably give it an A-.

I've never played a God of War game because I've never owned any Playstation so I'm heavily compelled to give this a shot.

I've never played a God of War game because I've never owned any Playstation so I'm heavily compelled to give this a shot.

It's completely disconnected from the other games, so you won't be lost or anything. It's a really good game and one I'd absolutely buy if I didn't already have the PS4/PS5 version of it. I don't think it'll change your life or make you rethink what gaming is, but it's one of those titles that shows how much polish Sony's studios put into their content.

Yeah, this title is a reboot. Even though it sort of generally keeps previous events as canon----none of it is crucial for this story. Its more along the lines of "hey, remember when this/that happened?" Rather than wow, that plot point/reveal was totally lost on me, because I didn't play a 13 year old game.

LOL, just reading this thread has inspired me to replay the game since I haven't touched it in a while. They added a NG+ option at some point apparently, so I'm going that route. I just made it to the portion of the game where things open up a lot (no spoilers, obviously) and my opinion stands. It's a great game, but I don't get the GOAT talk for people that play a lot of games.

Yeah, this title is a reboot. Even though it sort of generally keeps previous events as canon----none of it is crucial for this story. Its more along the lines of "hey, remember when this/that happened?" Rather than wow, that plot point/reveal was totally lost on me, because I didn't play a 13 year old game.
It's not a reboot. It's a sequel that happens years after the conclusion of God of War III.

LOL, just reading this thread has inspired me to replay the game since I haven't touched it in a while. They added a NG+ option at some point apparently, so I'm going that route. I just made it to the portion of the game where things open up a lot (no spoilers, obviously) and my opinion stands. It's a great game, but I don't get the GOAT talk for people that play a lot of games.
It might not be the GOAT to a lot of people but it sure deserves to be in the conversation.

Its a decent divergence from othee GoW games. The other games are kind of akin to an arcade beat em up like a very polished Golden Axe with more RPG elements.

This one is closer to witcher/assasins creed, the camera is moved in to over the shoulder, combat is more thought out and less button mash, but the scene suffers due to the tight camera (imo).

It really isn't a GOAT, but it is firmly a good game with a high level of polish.

Reactions: w35t
like this
It's not a reboot. It's a sequel that happens years after the conclusion of God of War III.

Soft reboot is a better term. It’s still in continuity with the older games but it’s also radically different from basically every single perspective otherwise. The story is also done in a way to make sure you don’t need to have played the previous games to get into it.

Here's the first 3 games in a nutshell:

You play as Kratos, a badass Spartan who was almost killed in a fight, he called on Ares for help who saves him, at a cost of servitued. Kratos agrees, so Ares then enslaves Kratos to burn villages down and be the ultimate killing machine. Kratos is tricked by Ares and accidentally kills his family, so he swears vengeance against the God. He gets PTSD and has nightmares of killing his family, so then he then works for the other Gods in hopes of ridding himself of his PTSD over killing his family. He finds out he was lied to, so he says fuck it and decides to kill all the Gods and Titans. He succeeds and takes them all down, over the 3 games, in the very end he gets a giant sword through him, he almost dies and vanishes.
Oh, also Zeus is his father. That's brought up in this game.

That's about all you need to know!

Based on the videos so far (like the one above), the PC version does look noticeably better than the PS5 upgraded version. The checkerboard 4K just isn't as clean as the real thing. Especially with the finer details. If performance holds up, it looks like a winner.

If you pre-ordered from GMG they should have your key available (at least mine was).

I love longer games and GoW sounds pretty long...~20 hours if just sticking to the main missions and ~50 hours to explore everything

I love longer games and GoW sounds pretty long...~20 hours if just sticking to the main missions and ~50 hours to explore everything
You may need to look into dying light 2 then, should take around 500 hours to fully complete.

You may need to look into dying light 2 then, should take around 500 hours to fully complete.

yes I've been looking forward to DL2 ever since it was first announced...Day 1 buy...and with Elden Ring coming out in the same month February is going to be insane (in a good way)

I don't believe any single-player game that isn't procedurally generated (or updated with "seasons" like Destiny) can have 500 hours of worthwhile content. The devs have said DL2's story is closer to 20 hours, so I'm a major, major skeptic that they have 480 hours of fun stuff to do otherwise.

Anyway, I'd say the estimate of 20-25 hours of normal content + another 20-25 of side stuff is spot on for GoW. I did everything except complete the final/final arena of the Muspelheim challenge (I even did all of the stuff in the fog area) and I spent around 45'ish hours. That's moving at a pretty slow pace so I didn't miss much.

I will probably get it on PC on a sale, I enjoyed it a lot on the PS4 but not really wanting to pay $40+ for it.

Back