God of War 4

Saw that, I guess the previous game lays the groundwork for controls and story, so they were able to develop the sequel in a relatively short 3 years or so by the time it launches. Same with Horizon. Whatever it is though, I'll gladly accept them sooner rather than later.

God of War will be free for PS+ users in November I believe. In fact there will be 18 decent games that will be free at that time.

So, I started replaying the game as the last time I played it was 2018 and I didn’t remember where I left off. In basically one sitting I went from the beginning all the way to Tyr’s Bridge in Alfheim. I forgot just how freaking good and fun the game is, damn. Also, I’m pretty sure I’m uncovering more stuff this time around than the last as I don’t recall doing some of the side-quests I’ve run across, specially the one for Brok.

God of War will be free for PS+ users in November I believe. In fact there will be 18 decent games that will be free at that time.

The PlayStation Plus Collection is only for people with a PS5. So anyone without one won’t be getting God of War for free, unless it actually is a Nov free game.

So, I started replaying the game as the last time I played it was 2018 and I didn’t remember where I left off. In basically one sitting I went from the beginning all the way to Tyr’s Bridge in Alfheim. I forgot just how freaking good and fun the game is, damn. Also, I’m pretty sure I’m uncovering more stuff this time around than the last as I don’t recall doing some of the side-quests I’ve run across, specially the one for Brok.

The PlayStation Plus Collection is only for people with a PS5. So anyone without one won’t be getting God of War for free, unless it actually is a Nov free game.

I've been wanting to go back and do a NG+ on it since I've only played through it once, but I did Platinum it before they added the NG+ mode to it months after it launched. I think I'm going to hold out to replay it on PS5 though, because the performance mode on it was a dynamic res and unlocked frame rate I think, so even without any patches for PS5, it should be a locked 60 FPS at 4K or near it at least. But really even at 40-60 FPS on my Pro, I was very surprised with how smooth it felt still with the uneven frame pacing. It somehow felt like I was playing with VRR enabled on my TV with no noticeable tearing. So I greatly preferred playing at that mode over the quality mode locked at 30 FPS.

But yeah, the PS collection is only for PS5 users. Which I already have most of the games in that collection, but considering I have PS Plus out to Oct 2022 now with that $30 12-month deal going on right now, that's a helluva value IMO if you haven't played many of those titles still. I hope they add some newer titles to it at some point too like FFVII Remake and Ghosts of Tsushima

I've been wanting to go back and do a NG+ on it since I've only played through it once, but I did Platinum it before they added the NG+ mode to it months after it launched. I think I'm going to hold out to replay it on PS5 though, because the performance mode on it was a dynamic res and unlocked frame rate I think, so even without any patches for PS5, it should be a locked 60 FPS at 4K or near it at least. But really even at 40-60 FPS on my Pro, I was very surprised with how smooth it felt still with the uneven frame pacing. It somehow felt like I was playing with VRR enabled on my TV with no noticeable tearing. So I greatly preferred playing at that mode over the quality mode locked at 30 FPS.

But yeah, the PS collection is only for PS5 users. Which I already have most of the games in that collection, but considering I have PS Plus out to Oct 2022 now with that $30 12-month deal going on right now, that's a helluva value IMO if you haven't played many of those titles still. I hope they add some newer titles to it at some point too like FFVII Remake and Ghosts of Tsushima

I really hope it supports Boost Mode and stuff. They did release a PS5 compatibility patch so that gives me hope. With how little time I have to play Mon-Sat I imagine I'll still be working my way through it by the time the PS5 comes out so I'll have a chance to check it out there as well.

GoW on the PS4 Pro ran at 60fps most of the time. Even with long views and or lots of effects I don't think it ever dipped much lower than the upper 40's. It'll be really interesting to see if the PS5 implementation will be improving up on that at all. I'm also due for a NG+ run and have held off in case they do optimize it further. I don't necessarily expect it, but it's a high profile title. They're more likely to put effort behind those than random other PS4 games.

GoW on the PS4 Pro ran at 60fps most of the time. Even with long views and or lots of effects I don't think it ever dipped much lower than the upper 40's. It'll be really interesting to see if the PS5 implementation will be improving up on that at all. I'm also due for a NG+ run and have held off in case they do optimize it further. I don't necessarily expect it, but it's a high profile title. They're more likely to put effort behind those than random other PS4 games.

Did they significantly improve the performance in later patches? DF reported average frame rate in the mid 40s to 50s most of the time. But I remember it playing smooth enough that I preferred playing in that mode still over a locked 30 FPS, which wasn't the case for other games I've played with unlocked frame rates in their performance mode. At least it somehow made the variable frame rate feel close to 60 FPS to me most of the time despite seeing that performance analysis before I played the game. I didn't notice a lot of stutter in the game as John points out in his analysis here.

(Time coded to performance section)

But yeah, I kind of expect Sony to have these 1st party studios to put proper patches for these games to support the PS5s boost mode to its fullest extent, if not patch in higher resolution and frame rate modes directly into these games for PS5. I think they said they were already planning for that on exclusives that launched this year like TLOU 2 and Ghosts, so would hope they would for previous high profile games like this and Horizon ZD.

Back